PDA

View Full Version : WDE 5/22-Long Road Home

purplelizard
05-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Wow, lots of people have posted already!

This week, I tried a couple of different things - first of all, I'm working SMALL for me! (usually, I'm working on 24" X 18" or something like that.) 18" X 13" - also, I tried sanded paper, instead of my usual Canson mi-tientes - I don't know the brand of sanded paper, but it has a 1/2" white smooth border, and it is a dark slate blue.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours - I found the sky much more difficult this week, than the empty beach I did two weeks ago in the WDE. I don't know if it was the size, the paper or the subject - lots more clouds! And considering it was 1/2 the size I've been doing lately, it still took me almost as long.

sigh.......C&C welcome, PLEASE! Kudos are great, but some constructive remarks are also requested!

Y'all have fun finishing up your projects!
;)

katju
05-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi Kristen,

It's so cool to see all these paintings from my photos!!! This looks great. I really lucked out with this photo. One thing I notice is the sky is really dark in foreground/top and then really light in the background. I know there's not a lot of room because of the clouds but somewhere it needs a middle value to transition the color. i hope this makes sense. I love it!!! :clap:

Kathy

pjo
05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Great color choices, and the shapes are very good. I agree with Kathy that there needs to be a transition color in the sky between the dark blue and the light turquoisy color. Maybe a little more distance in the field also. But, I really like the start on this.

lorna12
05-22-2004, 07:07 PM
I really like this....both the photo and your version of it. The more I see pastels, the better I'm liking them.

I think this is beautiful...I love all the color you have in it...the road is awesome and the clouds are just super! I have seen skies just like that here in the prairies and lots of times there is no transition between the sky above and below the clouds ...above can be quite dark and below, quite light, with the clouds the separater.

Sorry I can't find something more constructive to say....I like it just the way it is!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Precious Mazie
05-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Pastels look so hard to use. You made it look easy. Beautiful!

FriendCarol
05-22-2004, 07:30 PM
I very much like your palette, the rendering of the corn, the sky, and the soft focus of the rest of the image. My one comment is that the road, with that great linear perspective drawing us into the distance, points to... nothing!

Somewhere on this site are some compositional rules (maybe in the landscape forum?) that recommend not dividing the composition in half vertically or horizontally, and redoing a road like this one so that it curves off center to a center of interest. I like it, regardless; sort of reminds me of that poster for Close Encounters..., except it's broad daylight.

Drumbeat-trish
05-22-2004, 07:46 PM
I think its gorgeous -very moody. I don't know nothing bout nothing but the only thing I would think would be possibly having had the road a tad more off centre? I think your sky looks fabulous !!!!!!!!!

Dyin
05-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Well I'm sure impressed! I love the rainbow road colors and I too have seen skies do just that. The fun about roads that go to nowhere is that you want to drive down them...it's like a grand invitation and a mystery all at the same time...really, really love this one! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yokovich
05-22-2004, 08:46 PM
well for my money I would just leave it alone--it is unlike the photo, but in a better way--it has a "harvest" feel with all that gold that you have assigned--and I love that the road goes "no where"--thats what I liked about this image. five little clappie guys from me! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deano
05-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Beautiful, Kristen. I also like that road and the mystery of "what does it lead to?". Great handling of all elements. I had to really look hard for anything to critique...so here's a small one. The far purple trees are the same value and intensity as the bushes along the roadside. Perhaps glazing over them with a lighter blue would make more of a distinction and help set them back. Really a great job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

SwitzerS
05-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Love these colors - wonder what's at the end of the road for sure.

purplelizard
05-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Gee, thanks y'all for the c & c - I like EVERYTHING that's been said - yeah, I'm compositionally challenged.....I paint from my heart, no rules. I always seem to resist following them - aren't they meant to be broken?? :evil:

I disappeared for a few hours to a friend's graduation party - her son has grown up with our daughters - he's heading off to college, and we're only a few years behind - yikes! :eek: I come back from the party, a few beers later (well, ok, I really don't remember...... :D ) and I have all of this wonderful feedback!

Makes a girl feel and warm and fuzzy inside....oh, maybe that's the beer!

Mmmmm, I'm gonna need Tylenol in the AM! First, I need to see what else has been posted since I left earlier.

Toodles!

purplelizard
05-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Well, I messed with it some more, based on yesterday's feedback - I deepened the shadows within the cornfields in the foreground, added a mid-value blue in the sky, in some of the holes, added some buildings at the end of the road (silo, barn), but I'm not happy with the buildings - yet. Too hot - that red is pushing forward - need to find another color.

I also "cooled" the highlights on the field at the horizon line. Looking at it this morning, I realized I chose too hot of a yellow, and it was pushing forward - I needed the field to recede. Not sure that's done, but it's better.

Whadda ya' think? :D On a humorous side note, my hubby looked at it this morning and "just loves it" - its not my favorite, but he's decided he wants it in the house somewhere. I'd rather have my Sentinel tree from a few weeks back....funny how we latch on to stuff...maybe it can go to his office with him! ;)

Enjoy your Sunday, y'all!

Drumbeat-trish
05-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Wow -I can see why hubby loves it- those few little changes have added even more zing - a beautiful painting -and yes send it to his office where others can see it too :) :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grainne
05-23-2004, 03:21 PM
This is only my second (I think) time to post in this forum, so I don't know if my vote counts :) But I vote with the hubby. Your painting is wonderful. I like it so much it prompted me to respond to it.

I do visit the WDE every weekend though, to see what everyone is doing. It appears you guys have a great time here :)

Regards,
Grainne

cmwynn
05-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Just my first view, but the second version really helps pick out the distances better. I am so glad you didn't mess with that fabulous road.
Connie

roslyn
05-23-2004, 11:58 PM
After the note you left on my graphite version, I knew that I'd be seeing this eventually. It just took me all day to get to this. Wow! I really like this. Those hot colors on the road make this look like a very hot day. I love the way you've represented the tall plants (corn?) in the field. And those clouds are positively dreamy.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Roslyn