PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 22 - Big Sky

theIsland
05-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Acrylic on watercolor canvas, 12" x 5"
2 hours

This is my first attempt on watercolor canvas, so I'm still experimenting and fighting it a bit. I think I'm going to love the stuff once I learn how to use it.

Gorgeous photos, Katju! Would you mind if I worked this one up in a larger size, and spent a little more time on it?

Noma

FriendCarol
05-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Lovely panorama! Hope you'll post the larger one if you make one. I can't see that the canvas is giving you any noticeable trouble, in this reduction. ;)

katju
05-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Wooohoooooooooooo........ :clap:

No, Noma, I wouldn't mind if you painted this one larger if you gave it to me! :D Or at least show me the finished product!! I painted this one in watercolor a couple months ago but mine's not quite as vivid as yours. I'm drooling...... (This photo was taken in Nebraska City which is the home of the National Arbor Day, just a little trivia.)

Kathy

pjo
05-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Noma, this is very stiking, I like the contrast between the gorgeous sky and the orange fore ground.

Deano
05-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi, Noma. Once again....beautiful! I especially like the shadows creeping across the red fields. :clap: :clap: :clap:

purplelizard
05-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Awesome colors! Such a dramatic landscape! It's absolutely wonderful! :clap:

Precious Mazie
05-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Big Sky is right! Lovely! I just envy everyone's use of color!

lorna12
05-22-2004, 07:11 PM
This is really impressive....I love your use of color, so bold and dramatic. It's quite stunning!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lanita
05-22-2004, 07:43 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW, I love the drama. Spectacular!
Lanita

Dyin
05-22-2004, 08:36 PM
you STRUGGLED with this??? picking jaw off of floor...the colors are outstanding!! :clap: :clap:

hopefulbucky
05-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Wow Noma, excellent job. Love the mood you have portrayed in this painting, looks like a storm could be coming. You captured the wide expanse feeling that I know is in Nebraska. Great job!

Yokovich
05-22-2004, 08:40 PM
island---fantastic colors and I really love the elongated format--can I pahleeeezzzzee come over for a workshop??? lol!!!

SwitzerS
05-22-2004, 09:52 PM
I would love to see this large - marvelous look.

ctmobitz
05-22-2004, 10:15 PM
You liked this pic as well as I did. Love how you worked your colors so nicely. Very dramatic....love your style......You seem to be doing very well with the new Watercolor Canvas.....do you like it? Have not tried it yet as I paint mostly in Pastels now. It has been a while since I have used the W/C medium. I hope to try it again soon.....Keep up the great work.

Claude

Bertoni
05-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Noma: This is absolutely spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love everything about it!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I started this one too, and hope I can do one fourth as well!!!

Drumbeat-trish
05-23-2004, 12:09 AM
BIG BIG SKY -outstanding -love it !!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

stoney
05-23-2004, 12:33 AM
Acrylic on watercolor canvas, 12" x 5"
2 hours

This is my first attempt on watercolor canvas, so I'm still experimenting and fighting it a bit. I think I'm going to love the stuff once I learn how to use it.

Gorgeous photos, Katju! Would you mind if I worked this one up in a larger size, and spent a little more time on it?

Noma

Whew!!!! :clap:

JanetteBC
05-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Stands out in these crisp and contrasting colors.

cmwynn
05-23-2004, 03:35 PM
I have started this in watercolor, but am having trouble with the blue gradient sky. Yours is so vibrant, makes watercolor look anemic. It adds so much drama.
Connie

Chiers
05-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Oh my...would ya just look at that sky, and that land, and those shadows...Fabulous!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ams
05-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Gorgeous colors. The watercolor canvas was a success, it turned out beautiful.

Anne

xreader
05-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Noma...this is a shining achievement. Congratulations. :clap: :clap: :clap:

roslyn
05-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Those clouds look as if they're about to fall out of the sky. This is nice!

Roslyn

dabblerdot
05-24-2004, 02:08 AM
Made me catch my breath !! Wow, is this ever powerful ! :clap: :clap: A feast for the eyes, and those shadows across the fields- OOhhh !!! I believe the Nebraska Tourist Bureau could take some lessons from you if they want to increase the numbers of visitors to this state !

theIsland
05-28-2004, 02:12 PM
My apologies for not getting in some replies sooner. There are so many great paintings this week, so many I wanted to comment on. The depth of talent and variety of style here never cease to inspire and amaze me. I need to learn to schedule two hours for painting, and four hours for posting. :)

Thanks for all the great comments on my Big Sky painting.

Katju, I haven't had a chance to work it up in a bigger size yet, but I'll be sure you see it when I do. Wonderful photo to work from! All I had to do was copy it.

Celestia, you manage to make me turn a bright shade of red every week! Workshop? LOL! I don't even know what I am doing half the time!

Claude, I've had a chance to use the Watercolor Canvas some more this week, and I'm loving it. It doesn't feel like anything else I've used - not like paper, nor canvas. The weave is very fine, and the gesso is absorbant, so it's smooth enough for fine detail, yet toothy enough to hold some pastel, if I want to put some over the top of my paint. (I do this a lot.) The main complaint watercolorists have is that the early layers lift too easily, and I can see how that would be a problem. Since I use thinned acrylic, I don't need to worry about lifting. I'd still prefer to paint of paper, but I think I have finally found the solution for buyers who don't think an acrylic on paper is a "real" painting. ;)

Noma

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Fantabulous!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I don't know how I missed this in my earlier visits, but when I saw this tonight my eyes just about popped out of my head!
This is just another of the many WDE paintings I'd like to own! :D

Sharrm
05-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Wow, this says it all "Nebraska Big Sky Country" to me. What a wonderful vibrant painting :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Sharron