PDA

View Full Version : WDE 22/05 Skyscape

lorna12
05-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi gang,

I decided to do something simple for this one because I wanted to try my new watersoluble oil paints. I think I could learn to realy like this stuff! I'm fairly pleased with how this turned out. The photo isn't as clear as I would like and I don't think all the color came in....I started with an undercoat in acrylic-cad. lt. red., very thin, then wiped it and blew it dry, then began my painting.

Holbein Duo on masonite 8X10 1.5 hours (spent the last half hour trying to get a good photo!) Critique especially welcome ---this is my second oil (first was 8 years ago) and my first with WSO.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2004/11613-WSO_C.jpg

In the preview this looks blurry...will try to get a better image.

pjo
05-22-2004, 06:37 PM
This does look somewhat blurry, but the colors are beautiful. Can't wait to see it more clearly.

lorna12
05-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Here's a hopefully better image.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2004/11613-WSO_D.jpg

purplelizard
05-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Uh, WOW! for this only being your 2nd painting, SUPER WOW!

Very soft, calm landscape - love the colors! hooray for you! :clap:

lorna12
05-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Forgot to add HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATHY!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2004/11613-bestwishes.gif

katju
05-22-2004, 06:43 PM
I want to come over to your house and play with all your stuff! :) I love those big puffy clouds. My suggestion would be to consider adding a little detail in the foreground.

Kathy

FriendCarol
05-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I love the way you've rendered the contours of the land! Terrific -- looks like water-soluble oils should be your thing (or one of them, anyway). :)

katju
05-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Lorna!!! Have a piece of virtual cake on me :D

Kathy

lorna12
05-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks Kathy....no calories in virtual cake! :D C'mon over anytime!

Thanks Kristen, PJO and Carol for your nice comments. :D

Precious Mazie
05-22-2004, 07:22 PM
I don't think I have ever heard of watersoluble oil paints! You did a wonderfunl job with them! :clap:

Dyin
05-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Lorna, what on earth are you going to do when you have mastered every single medium there is??? You're well on your way you know :D Was hoping you'd pick OP but will forgive you since this is so lovely :p I've pondered the water based oils but have gotten too used to sticks and am lost with brushes now...great job! :clap:

lol....we both called this skyscape... :p

Yokovich
05-22-2004, 08:36 PM
it has an elegance, a design quality--representative of the stark beauty of the midwest--great colors! :clap:

hopefulbucky
05-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Lorna really like the effect you have achieved in this. The colors speak of a softness to the land. Your clouds are wonderful as well as the blue of the sky really like this color. Simple but very effective.

Deano
05-22-2004, 09:22 PM
AHA!!! Oil ! I just knew you'd like oils when ya got back in. This is a beautiful, timeless piece of art. Love those colors blending around. See what ya learned in the time since your first oil??? :clap: :clap: :clap: P.S.Oils usually =more $$$ :D

Lanita
05-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Love the soft feel and kudos on your restraint. I tend to overdo it so I'm impressed when people stop when they should!! You've created a beautiful landscape.
Lanita

SwitzerS
05-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Love how you did this - loverly sky.

Drumbeat-trish
05-23-2004, 12:06 AM
oooooooooohhhhhhh its like floating on a pillow of dreams ................ :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
05-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks so much for all your kind comments, everyone! I actually wiped this all off and did it over again. Too dark to get a picture now, but I'll try to do one tomorrow. It was fun playing with these....love the water clean up, but still feels/paints like oil.

Sue, I doubt that will ever happen....I like trying new things but seem to always go back to 3 things...acrylics, w/c and most of all scratching!

Deano, I must say I have enjoyed these. I just got a set of 16 colors and already wish I had more. I also got a set of real oils, but don't have mediums, or turps or anything but the paint, so will have to wait a bit to try them. I won all these supplies ($2000 worth) for that cover competition and figured I might as well try all the neat mediums out there and if I didn't like them I wouldn't feel like I wasted my money. So far nothing has felt like a waste! Still have the real oils and soft pastels to tryout.

Deano
05-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Wow! What a great boon to win all those supplies. congrats again, Lorna. It was all well deserved. :D

cmwynn
05-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Glad you won the prize and got to try out everything. Maybe I will do water-soluble oils sometime when I have better control over watercolor. The usual solvents turn me against oil "for real." Your past experience with other media show here with all the blending.
Connie

Chiers
05-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Looking good Lorna! You have painted a peaceful looking scene. I bought some of the water soluble oils when they first came out but havent' used them for so long I don't remember if I liked them or not. LOl

One tip I learned at WC for regular oils...I use cannola oil to clean my brushes instead of turps. In my opinion it cleans them faster and better and when I am ready to wash them with soap and water it doesn't take a dozen trys to get all the paint out. (also....doesn't smell..)

roslyn
05-23-2004, 04:59 PM
This is very nice! Lovely colors. Hard to take my eyes off the sun streaks in the sky.

Now that I can scroll through the rest of these comments on this "reply" thread, I realize that I'm commenting on a picture that doesn't exist anymore! I look forward to seeing your second version.

Roslyn

xreader
05-23-2004, 08:08 PM
A very inviting hillside...your sky is fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
05-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Absolutely an ethereal effect here ! :clap: :clap: Just so atmospheric I swear I can smell the breezes. And now you are going to change it :eek: !! Oh my !! Judging by your past record, it will be even better than this one- I'm waiting with bated breath to see it !

lorna12
05-24-2004, 04:31 AM
Well I don't know if it's any better but I'm learning how these WSO's work anyway. I am so used to just scanning the image, I find I can't get it as clear with the digi camera. But anyway.....

Here is try #2. Thankyou for all the nice comments about try #1.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/11613-Big_cloud_wso.jpg

roslyn
05-24-2004, 04:39 AM
This one really sings. Your clouds are boffo! :clap:

(One day, you'll be winning an award for WSOs; what medium will you buy with your prize money? :D )

Roslyn

lorna12
05-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Thankyou for thinking that, Roslyn! :D

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2004, 05:21 PM
So, yet another string to you bow! ;)
OK, I'm impressed! I liked your first attempts too, so why oh why did you 'wash' them off and not just use another canvac/board???????? :crying:
The skies are all gorgeous - and the latter the best!!!!!
Congrats on a smashing prize - what could be better?
{Now,...thinking.....I need new acrylics, artist grade OPs, water sol. oils...my next trip to the Art shop is definitely going to be extensive!!!!!}
:clap: :clap: :clap: for your latest venture!