PDA

View Full Version : Painting Storage With Vellum??

ayeceaeph
05-22-2004, 10:57 AM
I live up in the sticks of Northern Ontario and can't seem to find anyone who stocks glassine paper. The only thing I can find is vellum. Has anyone tried to use this paper to store their paintings? And if so...does the darn stuff work? :p

Any feedback would be vastly appreciated!!

Kathryn Wilson
05-22-2004, 11:14 AM
I believe both Dick Blick, Jerry's and Dakota Pastels carry the glassine.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the "Clear Plastic Bags" for storing pastels - not sure of the make-up of the product. They are in The Pastel Journal classifieds. They say they are acid free, easy to reseal, cost effict and have over 300 stocked sizes. www.clearbags.com

EdK
05-22-2004, 02:03 PM
If I recall, some of the vellums actually have a tooth to them that may rub some of the pastel off your drawings, but its been a long time since I worked with vellum papers. I'd check it out. The glassine is smooth and works well. You should be able to get it in rolls and even cut sheets through the internet.

Deborah Secor
05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
I think Ed might be right about vellum. You can paint in pastels on it--though delicately--so I wonder if it would be appropriate. You know, I just use plain old newsprint, which I tape securely over the front of the painting mounted on a piece of fomecore, and that works quite well. It may be that you want to be able to see the image through the glassine, but if not newsprint is an inexpensive alternative. The only real drawback is acidity over time, so I wouldn't suggest it for ten years--but frankly my paintings aren't so valuable that a couple of years under newsprint will do much harm! I often store them in the pages of a drawing pad, too. It's an easy, cheap sort of portfolio.

Deborah

EdK
05-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Deborah - if newsprint is what you want, try asking the local newspaper for their end rolls. They usually give them away for free. No ink. Just paper. We found this out recently because we are in the process of moving and was looking for an inexpensive wrap for our dishes, etc. Can't get any cheaper than that.

ayeceaeph
05-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks for guiding me down the right path...much appreciated....I won't even bother with the vellum now! :) I did see large newsprint pads at Staples for a really cheap price, I think I'll pick one up and just place my paintings between the sheets.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!