PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely first 'toe' into portrait and figure work c&c

HRH Goldie
05-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi,
I decided to be very brave and show my first attempt at a) black and white painting and also portraiture. This was done in a classroom environment although I did sketch out first as I knew it would take me a long time. Original photo image was taken from WC image reference library and is a black and white shot. I chose this image in particular as I thought she had such strong and striking features it would be easier. Also only controlling two colours. Yup I thought I'd gone for the easy option! How wrong I was :(
I sketched out in water soluble graphite (which was the only bonus) on stretched canvas 16 x 20.
I dragged the graphite widthways over the background and when I painted over in white acrylic I got this rather nice textured, shaded effect.
Again because I completed the shading in water soluble graphite I was initially horrified when I went to block in the shading of the face that the graphite was assuming its own shading and influencing the colour of the paint I was applying. Once I got over this however it was a bit like a magic painting book LOL! Because I had taken time over shading the initial drawing, the overlay in paint assumed the said shading and took away an awful lot of time I would have had to spend blending.
I added a little windsor blue and then ultramarine to lift the black tones slightly and to add interest.
Finally in an 'artistic frenzy' :p I strangely decided to paint the scarf red. The tutor wanted to know the psychology behind that one but it was merely just to add impact - I think :evil:
I know this isn't a faithful rendition of a beautiful photo and I apologise if the lady in it ever gets to see this. I did try to do the best I could but I would love c&cs but also if you have attempted this image - perhaps you could share here?
Christine

ExpressiveAngie
05-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi ya Christine,
I think having them together on the puter screen you already see now where the problems are so I am not going there. I think you did a smashing job on your first try! :clap: I do portraits mostly in pastel and mine absolutely get better with each and every one done, so keep up the good work!

ExpressiveAngie
05-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Also - I LOVE the red scarf...just means you are BOLD.

HRH Goldie
05-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi Pastelmama,
I can see that the cheekbone and jawline are out (tutor measured proportions, levels of eyes nose etc in class and he said they were ok). Nor he or I could correct them :(
Or can u see something else? Come on don't be afraid I won't cry :crying: sniff sniff honest... :crying:
LOL!
Christine

MonicaB
05-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Hi Christine,

Here's a little trick that someone in the A&W forum taught me, using Photoshop. It's a great tool. I took the drawing and added the photo as a layer over it, reducing the opacity of the photo so you can kinda see both. I lined up the two on her right eye. You can see how the shape of the jaw is off.

Have you tried this is the portrait forum? I'm sure they'd have lots of advice too. I'm still too chicken to try a portrait in acrylics!

HRH Goldie
05-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Wow Monica :cool: ! This is a brilliant tool! Is it corel photoshop u use?
If so can you post exactly how to do this is easy speak for technophobes :o ?
Looking at what you've done - I don't think I'll be able to correct it as it would be too difficult - it maybe better to start another I don't know.
Actually I like the image that you've created - sort of looks like a ghostly possession and its lifting out of her body :eek:
Thanks for the advice - I love it when people can help :clap:
Christine

MonicaB
05-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm happy to help, Christine, and have to credit Rewston, in the Animal and Wildlife forum for telling me about this nifty little trick. I used Paintshop Pro (free trial download at www.jasc.com) but any program that allows layering will do the same thing. Here's basically how you do it in any program:

1. Open both pics in your program.
2. Size them so they are approximately the same size (Look for an Image-->Resize option and play with the settings)
3. Select all of one pic (doesn't matter which), and copy it to your clipboard.
4. Go to the other pic. Look for an option that says something like Paste --> As New Layer. If you don't have that option, then create a new layer and paste into that layer.
5. Once the image is pasted, look for an Opacity tool control. In Paintshop Pro, for example, it is under Layers --> Properties. Change the Opacity value until you can see both images. You may need to select one layer and use a move kind of tool to align the images over each other.

Hope that helps!

HRH Goldie
05-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Thanks Monica,
I hope the printer gets delivered today and then I can print out your superimposed jobby.
I'll get hubby to have a try with the manipulation thingy - (he does have his uses after all!)
We have corel photo suite and I know only the basics. I just learned how to resize image for uploading on here. Mind you I felt really stupid when I found out how easy it actually was. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks :p
Christine