PDA

View Full Version : Torch/Kiln rental rates??

SarahJo80
05-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi!

Sorry if this is not where it's supposed to be, I never know where to post! haha :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've finally broken down and gotten sucked into making beads with my mom...I tried, but it would appear that this hobby is just irresistable! I've been working on her old HH, and it is fine, but I feel like I could save time and enjoy the hobby more if I were on a hotter torch. I've considered a bulk propane tank, but I'm VERY poor. So, as an alternative, she's offered to let me rent time on her torch (Natural gas/oxy). We weren't sure what a good hourly rate would be...does anyone have any ideas?

Also, what do kiln renters pay? I just throw my beads in with hers, but she's considering putting an ad in the paper to help defray the cost of her new camera (CoolPix 8700 running $1000). Any advice you guys might have is very appreciated! :) THANKS!

Sarah

!Karen
05-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi Sarah & her mom......lol

I don't know about the torch time personally, but one place around here rents open torch at $20/hour. I have no idea if that's a good or bad price. And I have no idea on the kiln rental.

Loveland, CO. I used to know a gal who moved there and opened some type of general goods store. She was a Longaberger basket consultant. I think her name was Suzy - not sure though, that was a hundred years ago for me.

Good luck with your research and you and your mom have fun!!

:)Karen

SarahJo80
05-21-2004, 03:02 PM
TWENTY DOLLARS!?!?! Holy crap, she's not going to get that out of me! haha

I don't know of a Suzy making baskets in town, but I don't get out much! haha :)

Alright, maybe you guys misunderstood me, because I'm sometimes not clear...What I was really looking for was for someone to come tell me "$.50/hour, Sarah" LOL That would be terrific! haha Thanks :)

Sarah

!Karen
05-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Oh sorry Sarah, did I put $20/hr, sorry typo, it was $.02/hr. Yep, very generous place :D :D

:)Karen

JavaGirlBT
05-21-2004, 03:52 PM
The bead store near me rents torch time for $10.00 an hour - $8.50 an hour if you buy 10 hours at one time.

MaryBethC
05-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi Sarah,
Bella Glass in Lakewood rents torch time for $15.00 an hour with a 4 hour minimum. There is also a glass shop in Boulder that rents torch time for $300.00 a month and I have been told that is almost 24/7. So maybe if you multiply 30 by 24 and divide that into $300.00 you might come up with a better hourly rate :D Hey, I think that is about .42 cents an hour :evil:

Oasies
05-21-2004, 04:15 PM
I found out our bead studio here rents for $8.00 an hour, with all your beads in the time you spend at the torch are annealed for free....

Tink
05-22-2004, 12:11 AM
I found out our bead studio here rents for $8.00 an hour, with all your beads in the time you spend at the torch are annealed for free....

LOL! I was just going to post that. And it just recently went up to $8 from $7. All glass included.

SarahJo80
05-22-2004, 02:49 PM
What about batch annealing also?? What's the going rate for that?

giapet
05-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Sarah...this your mother right?..what if you paid for some of her oxy refills as payment? I guessing she is using tanked oxy with natural gas from her house from your first post.

As far as kiln time...I've seen $18 for a full fusing (1500 top temp, aprox. 8-10hr. cycle time)in a much bigger kiln. Of course annealing beads in a small kiln at a lower temp wouldn't/shouldn't come close to that.

So basically I have no idea :rolleyes: ...not much help, sorry.

rosebead
05-22-2004, 06:20 PM
What about batch annealing also?? What's the going rate for that?

The bead store here charges $15 to batch anneal as many beads as you can fit into their kiln. They rent torch time too, but I don't know the rate.

Kalera
05-22-2004, 08:15 PM
I have been charging a student $15.00/hr including glass, annealing, and bead removal/cleaning service... I can't stand just leaving them on the mandrels. :) It also includes coaching/tips as needed.

Toxey's Treasures
05-23-2004, 03:56 AM
I was told by a beadshop near here that it would be $15/hr for torch time and she doesn't usually do annealing. I'm not sure if this includes glass.

The person I am going to do my annealing is charging $5 per batch, 20-100 beads.

Hope this helps!!

prncsk
05-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Your mom sounds like my mom...LOL. Maybe you could, as someone suggested filler 'er up for her every other time. My oxy costs $15 for 3000 psi. Not sure about the propane, but I'm sure that's pretty inexpensive too.

Lampburke
05-23-2004, 09:51 AM
I'm teaching one of my daughters-in law how to make beads, twice a week in the evenings, and my charge is that she pays for pizza every third time. But there's a red "S" on my costume and it doesn't stand for "Superman". :rolleyes:

craftscout
05-23-2004, 09:53 AM
*pokes her head out of the lurk* The stained glass store that I use to anneal charges $5 if you're in no hurry and don't mind waiting for the owner to add it to a run of his own, or $10 if you want a rush or have a full load. Plus whatever it costs to mail it back to me. It's over an hour drive to get there, and with a two year old I can't get over there too often.

dustyg
05-23-2004, 11:55 PM
place near me charges 5 dollars an hour for torch time... annealing's free if you make your stuff there

... doesn't include glass... but you do get to use a nice carlisle CC torch =)

I go up there when I wanna try my luck at offhand glassblowing, heh