PDA

View Full Version : talens rembrandt acrylics???

totallynew
05-21-2004, 08:02 AM
i was wondering if anybody here ever tried using this product??? any feedback according to your experience with the rembrandt acrylics??? thank you!!! Good Day!!!

Einion
05-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Try a search confined to the Acrylics forum for Rembrandt, you should find a number of previous threads (one quite recent) which mention them.

Einion

eezacque
05-23-2004, 11:45 AM
I use it, am happy with it but cannot compare it with anything other than the student-grade Van Gogh series of the same manufacturer. In another thread it is pointed out that Golden has more pigment while it is relatively cheaper, so I'm thinking about moving to Golden.

cunparis
05-23-2004, 12:56 PM
I use it, am happy with it but cannot compare it with anything other than the student-grade Van Gogh series of the same manufacturer. In another thread it is pointed out that Golden has more pigment while it is relatively cheaper, so I'm thinking about moving to Golden.

I think Golden's is much more expensive. I did some research on Remembrandt because we don't have all brands here in France. From what I read, Remembrandt is a good brand and it's not real thick. If you like thick paint some of the other brands might be better. Golden is the top of the line and you pay for it.

-Michael

eezacque
05-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I think Golden's is much more expensive. I did some research on Remembrandt because we don't have all brands here in France. From what I read, Remembrandt is a good brand and it's not real thick. If you like thick paint some of the other brands might be better. Golden is the top of the line and you pay for it.

Please check out this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515) where I calculate the costs of a simple primary pallet, both for Talens Rembrandt and for Golden, for one relatively arbitrary Dutch store. Feel free to show me my mistakes (after all, to err is human) and/or to replicate the calculation for your favourite French artist's materials store.

juhanik
05-23-2004, 02:42 PM
W&N is slightly better in my opinion, but there is nothing wrong with Talens acrylics. Differences are rather marginal.

totallynew
05-24-2004, 07:20 AM
anybody else??? what about the pigment load??? how can one tell that the paint has high pigment load???

cunparis
05-24-2004, 07:49 AM
anybody else??? what about the pigment load??? how can one tell that the paint has high pigment load???

The pigment load enables the paint to be opaque and is most noticeable in the opaque colors. For example, with a student grade paint the yellow will be transparent. In a professional grade, cad yellow will be opaque and you can paint over black and cover it up totally. This is impossible with student grade paints. For the transparent colors I'm not so sure, I guess they just give you more color even though it's transparent.

I'm curious about Remembrandt now because that's a popular brand here in France. I might buy a tube to check it out.

Also, you can read reviews of various brands in the review section of this site.

-Michael

Einion
05-24-2004, 08:07 AM
anybody else???
Hey, that's more answers than many questions get! :)

what about the pigment load??? how can one tell that the paint has high pigment load???
Pigment loading can be difficult to make determinations on, especially if you don't have something similar to compare to. Basically the higher the amount of pigment the better the coverage and the higher the tinting strength, but these are relative - Phthalo Blue GS will not cover very well but will be extremely high in tinting strength, Cerulean Blue on the other hand will cover pretty well but is weak in tinting strength and so on.

In brand-to-brand comparisons I think that Talens Rembrandt will probably work out to be good but not the best judging from my prior experience with them, from information gleaned from people who stocked them in the UK and from comments here.

If you're set on trying them for whatever reason why not buy a basic selection - white, black if you use it, and your choice of primaries for example - and see what you think? It won't break the bank, acrylics are a lot cheaper than oil paint! Or you could try a starter box if you prefer, they can be a decent introduction to a range (although they rarely include the expensive reds and yellows which would have the best opacity for these hues) but you really need to have something to compare them with to make an informed choice.

Even if you find they're not exactly what you want you can use the paint up over time so they won't go to waste. And if you find you like them you could look for larger tube sizes or their tubs (500ml?) as they will likely work out very much cheaper than their smallish tubes.

Einion

totallynew
05-24-2004, 08:12 AM
thanks for your replies!!! i appreciated it all! God Bless!