PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun Critique practice...

Dyin
05-20-2004, 01:49 AM
Ok....now this is purely silly but I thought it might be a fun way for people to try a critique on someone whose feelings can't get hurt. Kitty really did bring up an interesting question about critiques but I know lots of people just don't know how to go about it. So just for fun, as if this was a real post give it a critique like you normally would or you wish you could...what you think works, what you think could improve, just like you would if you'd never seen this before. Hope you'll play along...it's late, I'm tired and can't sleep... (probably why I came up with such a silly idea):p

Hi, I'm a new member here, my user name is Micky Angelo....would you please critique this? I was going for photo realism with a touch of cubism...is my composition good? Did I use good color choices? I'm really hoping to get a commision off this but I hear I'll have to bend over backwards for this guy...any advice welcome! Sorry if the pic is blurry, the plaster was wet yanno.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2004/19147-m23778.jpg

PaulaCT
05-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Hi, I'm a new member here, my user name is Micky Angelo....would you please critique this? I was going for photo realism with a touch of cubism...is my composition good? Did I use good color choices? I'm really hoping to get a commision off this but I hear I'll have to bend over backwards for this guy...any advice welcome! Sorry if the pic is blurry, the plaster was wet yanno.

Oh, NOT another religious fresco, Mike -- so derivitive. Troubles getting ultramarine? Your void is distressingly yellow. And what's up with Adam's flat forehead? :evil:

PaulaCT

Kitty Wallis
05-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Mike, I say again, I think the veils are a bad idea. You are bending to the establishment, you don't go down in the history books that way! Otherwise the piece is pretty good, nice composition, great drawing.

Dyin
05-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Oh, NOT another religious fresco, Mike -- so derivitive. Troubles getting ultramarine? Your void is distressingly yellow. And what's up with Adam's flat forehead? :evil:

PaulaCT

ahhh, good points! How would I go about getting a rounder forehead? Should I have used a grid or is that cheating? Ultramarine blue??? That stuff is pretty pricey and I'm on a limited budget...how would I use blue to best effect since I wanted a warm feeling?

Khadres
05-20-2004, 02:14 AM
Hi, Micky...nice to see you here...this is a great place!

You certainly seem to like large size paintings! This is awesome and I would have never thought of doing a pastel in a fresco fashion, but this is a neat idea! I do think you might check your plaster recipe, tho; I see cracks forming already and you say it's still WET? Not good...might try Dyin's recipe for gesso and marble dust...I have a hunch you have plenty of the latter lying around your studio?

Your figures are very....robust! I'm assuming the big guy with the beard is God? Just guessing here, but he looks familiar somehow. You've captured a look of power and no-nonsense authority that goes with this personality well. And that must be Adam on the left? He's nicely muscled and looks quite relaxed despite his nudity, so I'm assuming he's still an innocent. Anyone else would be embarrassed to meet God without at least a loincloth, but I think you've succeeded in making him look quite relaxed as he stretches his hand out to touch God's. You certainly know your anatomy, right down to the little cherubim supporting God and peeking around to see what this new "man" character is all about. Everyone in the painting seems to be extremely healthy and well-fed, too! Each face and expression is so convincing, I almost believe each and every one sat for you individually!

All in all, this is a very effective painting except for the cracks. Please tell us which pastels you used and how long it took you to create this; also, did you use fixative at all? We do like all the details, I'm afraid! Very nice work! Please be sure and visit (and post) often!

PS
Is it true that the Pope is stingy as a turnip? The baker told me the other day that the Pope hasn't paid his bread tab in THREE YEARS!

Dyin
05-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Mike, I say again, I think the veils are a bad idea. You are bending to the establishment, you don't go down in the history books that way! Otherwise the piece is pretty good, nice composition, great drawing.

ahh, thank you for your kind words, Miss Kitty! How does a person go about acheiving fame? This fellow Da Vinci seems to get all the good commissions...no veils eh?

Khadres
05-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Pah! Da Vinci is a hack! The man drives me mad with his boy figures with the boobs tacked on all wrong! He's mad, anyway...last I heard he was trying to invent a flying machine....now I ask you!

Dyin
05-20-2004, 02:23 AM
All in all, this is a very effective painting except for the cracks. Please tell us which pastels you used and how long it took you to create this; also, did you use fixative at all? We do like all the details, I'm afraid! Very nice work! Please be sure and visit (and post) often!

PS
Is it true that the Pope is stingy as a turnip? The baker told me the other day that the Pope hasn't paid his bread tab in THREE YEARS!

Yes, the cracks are a problem, but the trouble is I had to paint over cracks and they refuse to disappear, I've heard there is some paper that is popular these days, in fact it has the same name as Miss Kitty! Perhaps I should try my hand at that. I have heard that framers will gladly fix your work for you, so have not worried about that aspect. I'm afraid I'm rather a newbie at painting so this took quite awhile.
I'm afraid that I cannot comment on my benefactor until he benefacts me my wages.
( :eek: This is the PASTEL forum? oops.)

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 02:33 AM
HAhaHAhaHAhaHA!! I'll give it a shot:

Hi Mickey- Welcome to the Forum. What a complex and rich-looking piece there- what size is that? Looks very big. As for the composition, it's difficult for me to put my finger on it exactly, (no pun intended) but just what is the focal point? I mean, the whole "pull my finger" thing is obviously crying out to be the center of attention, but the figures on either side draw my eye so fast and hard, I don't really get to come back to it.

The figures are extremely well rendered- you must have studied a long time to get such a delicious feel for the male body. The rather limited palette really unifies the piece, but I think there may be some issues with the values- I can convert this to grayscale, but think you should probably get some highlights in there to pop it a bit.

The POV is kind of odd, too, are you working on a tilted easel? Hard to tell- there's some distortion going on, but it might be the pic.

All in all though, a really intricate and interesting work- love to see more. Good luck with the commission- it looks like it'll be a winner when you finish!

Dyin
05-20-2004, 02:41 AM
Yes, it's a very large piece...which parts of the anatomy should I highlight do you think? :evil:

ha ha...thanks everyone for playing...some pretty good wit here! Finally can go off to sleep...can't wait to see the morning response!

PaulaCT
05-20-2004, 02:43 AM
How would I go about getting a rounder forehead? Should I have used a grid or is that cheating?

Grid, schmid. Technique without passion is dead. Leave the grids to hacks like Leo da Vinci. BTW, is it my imagination or is Adam's anatomy a tad... meager?

PaulaCT

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 02:45 AM
Yes, it's a very large piece...which parts of the anatomy should I highlight do you think? :evil:

ha ha...thanks everyone for playing...some pretty good wit here! Finally can go off to sleep...can't wait to see the morning response!

It might just be the crop is too tight, Mickey- do you have enough room to maybe add some space to either side? Then the figures wouldn't look so cramped. One of the "rules" of good compositon is to not allow figures to "kiss the edges".

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 02:47 AM
LOL Paula! Ha! Too good.

Night all

Dyin
05-20-2004, 02:48 AM
Grid, schmid. Technique without passion is dead. Leave the grids to hacks like Leo da Vinci. BTW, is it my imagination or is Adam's anatomy a tad... meager?

PaulaCT

meager...is this a new Schminke color?

PaulaCT
05-20-2004, 02:53 AM
meager...is this a new Schminke color?

Great American Artworks. You know, like Burnt Reynolds? :p

PaulaCT

PaulaCT
05-20-2004, 03:00 AM
I was going for photo realism with a touch of cubism...

One more thing. Ya gotta LOOSEN UP! You're so tight you squeak. Take a gander at the "Okay - I'm Confused" thread.

PaulaCT

Khadres
05-20-2004, 03:06 AM
I still think he's just....a bit of a....shrinking violet? Or maybe the studio's too cold? Surely, that's not all there is to it!?! Oh, well, maybe that's why one or two of the cherubs seem to be snickering....who knows? But no, I do NOT think that's the focal point!

Hmmmm, there seems to be a little spark of electricity there connecting the outstretched fingers! Static electricity?

Kitty Wallis
05-20-2004, 03:08 AM
One more thing. Ya gotta LOOSEN UP! You're so tight you squeak. Take a gander at the "Okay - I'm Confused" thread.

PaulaCT

LOL!!

jackiesimmonds
05-20-2004, 03:33 AM
For Heaven's sake (!!), Mike, what on earth are you doing here? How in heaven's name do you imagine that the bloke in the flying shell is going to stay in there? Haven't you heard about gravity? I mean, this is quite ridiculous. This may be a flight of your imagination, but let's get real here. It just isn't credible, everyone will laugh at you.

Time you got out a bit, and did some drawing from life, instead of using photos all the time, and making things up.

Dark_Shades
05-20-2004, 04:10 AM
Great stuff........ shucks so much fun and Im on my way out to work....
want to come back with more questions...... but firstly I wondered if you painted this from life or did you use a photo :D

K Taylor-Green
05-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi Mike, welcome to the pastel forum. I'm afraid I also am unsure about the center of interest. My eyes keep bouncing between both figures. I love your use of color, though I would like to know what kind of paper you used.

As for the rest of you, I turn my back for a few hours, and you guys drink ALL the white wine!!

christmascarolnz
05-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi Mike. Welcome to the pastel forum from me too.
Just a concern here - did you use someone else's photo to paint this? I'm with Kadres on this...one of the guys does look very familiar. You do need to check the copyrite thing out and give credit to the REAL artist who did this in the first place...some of them arty types can be real touchy about using their work.
But I guess we could all buy the fact that you say it's original and actually believe all these folk really are your friends and that it was a wondeful party afterall....
yeah...and I'm Christmas!
Carol

Kathryn Wilson
05-20-2004, 08:45 AM

Hi Mike - welcome to Wet Canvas. My burning question is what model agency did you use - that guy on the left is quite hunky - I'd love to use him for my next painting.

I'm not sure what your message you are trying to relay - is that guy on the right trying to electrocute my hunk? He looks kinda old and scary.

Must be you didn't have enough money to go around - your color palette is quite limited. Hope your benefactor comes across.

Keep posting your updates, especially when you get new colors -

ayeceaeph
05-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Hi Mike, you're going to love it here at wetcanvas as much as I do! My two cents....I can't really tell from this picture but...is Adams foot webbed???

Also, I have to question your creative process...after all...how do you know God is a man? :evil:

chestie
05-20-2004, 09:59 AM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mike, this is just lovely, you show a lot of potential and if you keep practicing, one day you'll be a good artist. You've got a lot of good advise here already, so I won't repeat it, but I think you need to push the values to make it really pop.

Please don't tell me you're using brown paper, again. Brown paper is NOT archival, and will eventually crack.

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 10:52 AM
ummmm- Y'all know you've ventured to the backrow now, right? It's kinda like The Hotel California back here- you can check out any time you like- but you can never leave....

Dyin
05-20-2004, 11:17 AM
wow...you people here at WC sure are a welcoming friendly group! No, I want to emphatically state that I did not filch one of Leo's cartoons...nope, this is purely incidental that it looks like his flying machine. Perhaps if I painted from life, as you say, I might get more accurate proportions?
Ok, I've started a new piece, trying to take all these things into consideration...as you can see I worked from life and tried to be a little looser. I also added more blue...is this what you meant?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2004/19147-avignob.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
05-20-2004, 11:28 AM
You need glasses, Mike.

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Nice composition on this one, Mike! I admire the way the eye is led around the piece so effortlessly by the various elements, and the way you echoed shapes. This is worked from life, you say? Nice to have so many models available for your perusal.

Might want to check the nose on that seated figure, though- it looks a little wonky. And before you ask, "wonky" is a highly technical term which means "screwed up". In this case, it may mean "screwed on".

K Taylor-Green
05-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Yep, you definitly got the blue in, but I agree about the nose on the seated figure. What really bothers me, is that he appears to be holding it on!! You might want to re-think where you are finding your models. But all in all, you have an interesting use of color and your composition is "tight".

sundiver
05-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Welcome. Mickey! :)
Being a new member, you may not know, but we have what's called a "butt icon" that we usually add to our posts when they include nudes. That's so not to offend anyone......

Some nice work here! I love the modeling of the figures and your use of the limited pallette.
Since you asked, a compositional point...... I see a very strong diagonal, which, although it adds a dynamic element, also cuts the page nearly in half. Adam's arm breaks it up a bit, but I'm wondering if it's a bit too strong and could be broken up or softened somewhat. Just MHO!
I look forward to seeing more of your work!

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Kate? Did you bring snacks for the backrow? I'm getting kinda peckish and Kitty ate all the little quiche thingies I brought....

Lisa Olivarez
05-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Lololololololol

meowmeow
05-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Coming in late here Mike but I have to say I was a little confused by your comment about the first painting that you wanted a touch of cubism...I guess you made up for it with the second one. Now that one makes much more sense in terms of POV...I mean the other one looks as if you painted it laying on you back and who the heck would do that!
The blue is a nice touch, but it is interesting how otherwise you have used essentially the same palette.
You probably need to define your own personal style more...I mean these look as if they were actually painted centuries apart! Then again, if is good to try different things!

What a wonderful, crazy place this is!!!!!

ayeceaeph
05-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Yep, you definitly got the blue in, but I agree about the nose on the seated figure. What really bothers me, is that he appears to be holding it on!! You might want to re-think where you are finding your models. .

I know the name of this GREAT malpractice lawyer for whoever did your models plastic surgery. If you'd like to pass the info along..PM ME!

I really dig what you've done here....kind of a "When Brothels Go Wrong" theme to it....

PaulaCT
05-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Ok, I've started a new piece, trying to take all these things into consideration...as you can see I worked from life and tried to be a little looser. I also added more blue...is this what you meant?

Hey, I think know these girls! Met them at some party in Avignon... they are WILD, let me tell you.

Say, after reading the "To critique or not critique" thread, I feel bad about my earlier comments. I stand by my analysis, but I could have been nicer. I'll do better on this one.

It's good to see you leave the frescos behind; an artist should evolve or s/he stagnates. Be wary of dabbling though -- you don't want to be accused of pastiche. Nice treatment here of the ladies, and great use of color complements. I could be wrong, but this has the potential to become the cornerstone of modernism. :cool:

PaulaCT

Dark_Shades
05-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey, I think know these girls! Met them at some party in Avignon... they are WILD, let me tell you.

PaulaCT

OMG..... you were at that Party too!!! :o ..... some memorable party, that was last year lol ..... could hear the music playing down the street

beebear
05-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Dyin... funny idea, I really like it..

Dear Mikey,
First of all, what size is this and what is the medium? If it is not pastel, you should post this in the correct forum.
Is God the focal point here? If so, shouldn't the extraneous stuff be cropped off?
If where God and Adam's fingers are touching is the focal point, I think you should crop everything after the third knuckle of each of their fingers.
Your style has changed quite a lot with your second attempt. Again, I question if it is pastel.
I think you need to do a value study on your second one then repost.
Keep trying. Someday you'll be as good as me. :)

Dyin
05-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Dyin... funny idea, I really like it..

Dear Mikey,
First of all, what size is this and what is the medium? If it is not pastel, you should post this in the correct forum.
Is God the focal point here? If so, shouldn't the extraneous stuff be cropped off?
If where God and Adam's fingers are touching is the focal point, I think you should crop everything after the third knuckle of each of their fingers.
Your style has changed quite a lot with your second attempt. Again, I question if it is pastel.
I think you need to do a value study on your second one then repost.
Keep trying. Someday you'll be as good as me. :)

Well, this is just a portion of a 12,000 square foot project...the medium is a pigment base...quite like pastels, no? It's is possible that I could call this an underpainting and apply these pastels you speak of, my only concern is that when Hallelujas ring out people might experience a slight dusting from above. Bah, I do not believe in this focal point thing...can not a painting tell numerous stories? Besides, I have bigger things to worry about...some Raphael guy has just been commissioned to do the Pope's private rooms and I hear he's trying to copy my style. Can anyone direct me to the sculpture forum? I hear there's some David guy that thinks he can model.

nancymae
05-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey Mikey...what's up???? Tell that penny pinching Pope that you want a Solteck easle...you can actually paint laying down!! Those people that want commission work...they want and want and want...and don't want to pay for it!! Then when you are dead...they turn around and value your work for millions of dollars!! Go and ask Vinnie....he knows!!

As for little Raphael....that creap!! No one can be a REAL artist unless they develop their OWN style. Tell that mealy mouth thing that you are very flattered that he wants to learn from you...by copying you...but that he won't be able to grow as an artist without devloping his own style. Sell him into slavery I say!!

Just my 2 cents..

Nancy

Dyin
05-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey Mikey...what's up???? Tell that penny pinching Pope that you want a Solteck easle...you can actually paint laying down!! Those people that want commission work...they want and want and want...and don't want to pay for it!! Then when you are dead...they turn around and value your work for millions of dollars!! Go and ask Vinnie....he knows!!

As for little Raphael....that creap!! No one can be a REAL artist unless they develop their OWN style. Tell that mealy mouth thing that you are very flattered that he wants to learn from you...by copying you...but that he won't be able to grow as an artist without devloping his own style. Sell him into slavery I say!!

Just my 2 cents..

Nancy

aaah, that easel sounds like just the ticket to Vienna! Please tell me where I might purchase one of these amazing items! Hmmm, is it possible that I would have rights to Rafe's copy? Perhaps the Pope can make a decree to this effect.
Of course now I have a new problem. The client insists that I add some gold to match the color of the rest of the decor...I ask you...do you find this common with clients?
I have given up on the cubism, it's not for me. I think I would rather work on making figures look as if they are moving towards you...what do you think of this idea?
Thanks for all the help...Mikey LIKES it!

Pinecone Conniff
05-20-2004, 08:23 PM
I finally know what that "butt icon" is for!! I was wondering why some threads had it...by the way...you seem a bit obsessed so I suggest you use that butt icon in the future! ;)
Annette

K Taylor-Green
05-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Kate? Did you bring snacks for the backrow? I'm getting kinda peckish and Kitty ate all the little quiche thingies I brought....
Yeah, creme cheese brownies and Riesling!! Is Mikey posting another one?

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Mikey's working with one of his models right now (*cough*), but maybe you can help with this.

Hi- my name's Augie Renwah, and I've been trying to get a looser look in my work. So far, this is the best I can do- have you any advice?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2004/9169-17.jpg

Sorry it's so small, but they say size doesn't matter... *sigh* ...unless it's a nubile maiden's thighs....

Dyin
05-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Augie, Augie, Augie...WHERE are the skyholes in your tree??? And really...pinheads? I mean really, she's no Dolly and yet that head is as big as her boobie! I think you better learn some basic drawing skills before you go any further with this 'loose' approach. Oh, one more thing...hair goes in the armpit, not the inside of the elbow.

K Taylor-Green
05-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Augie, while I'm all for bold strokes, I really think some blending in the sky would be benificial. As I see it, it competes with the subjects, and matches the water.
Speakin of thighs,Or was it looseness? Anyway, the figure on the right reminds me of 15 years past my career as an aerobics and weight training instructor. You must get your models where Mikey gets his!

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 10:52 PM
I admit I had a poor view- it wasn't as if these girls knew I was there, feverishly recording the sight of them to canvas- errrr- ummmm- I mean, doing a study for further work in the studio. But I was really working on the values using soem warm/cool techniques, and was squinting- A LOT.

Skyholes! *smacks forehead* I KNEW I could've picked a better veiwing area!

You're right, I didn't really watch proportion of the heads to the bodies- I guess that exposes my lack of training. But I was pleased with the skintones, overall- and thought I got some good strokes in. :D

Mikki Petersen
05-20-2004, 11:14 PM
HHMMMPPHHFFFF! I go out of town over night and you all throw a party behind my back!

Mikey, my advice is pick one style and stick with it until you master it before branching out. Going from one extreme to another isn't going to help you much but good for you for experimenting and welcome to Wet Canvas.

Augie...have you considered brick laying as a hobby?

Dyin
05-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey...cool thread...I'm Jack P. I've been lurking and I really like this loose concept you are all talking about...So I've come up with this 'puff and land where I planned' approach with my pastels...what do you think?
Mikey and Augie...ya gotta loosen up, man! :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2004/19147-pollock.jpg

bogbeast
05-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Jack, welcome to wet canvas!

This is a real nice start--did you mention how old you are? Well, that's okay, even children are welcome, so long as they are serious about their art and don't waste our time fooling around!

You have a nice sense of looseness about your strokes, a broad range of colors, and some good contrast in values, but I'm having trouble figuring out what youre trying to say here. Did you have a center of interest in mind, a focal point, when you did this one? To be blunt, it almost looks like you were just throwing paint around!

and speaking of paint, is this really done with pastel? This IS the pastel forum, you know. I realize the criticism in some of the other forums can be kind of rough, but that's the way it is with the big boys and girls. If you actually did do this in pastel, you really need to let that alcohol underpainting dry BEFORE you start applying your pigments, or they get all sloppy and wet--and then you may as well go play with a gallon of house paint and be done with it.

Try again, with dry pastels and a simple subject if you want to hold anyone's interest in your work--this stuff will never sell!

And I have a request for the back row, if you will--double fudge brownies with lots of frosting! This one handed typing is for the birds...Ican hardly wait to brush my teeth left-handed tonight!

Libs

K Taylor-Green
05-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Oh Libby, You had your surgery??!! Don't worry, this time next week, It will be a bad dream.

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Welcome out of lurkerdom, Jack- that certainly is a splashy piece you've brought with you. It's "modern", isn't it? Abstract, I think you'd call that- mainly cause it's not nice to say it looks like some guy got drunk and dribbled paint around until he came up with something fairly cohesive.

There's an abstract forum here, you know- you might be better off getting good critique there- we'd love to have you around, but dunno how much help we'd be as there's few of us who work pastels in abstract art.

Btw- Home Depot's got Glidden on sale- might want to check 'em out.

SweetBabyJ
05-20-2004, 11:59 PM
How about these, Libby: Brownies topped with big marshmellows which are "puffed" quickly in the oven then smothered in chocolate chips till they melt and then spread 'em around. I promise you one and your teeth will stick together so brushing's much easier....

Kitty Wallis
05-21-2004, 02:38 AM
HI Jack,
Welcome to WC.

Your piece is a valiant attempt at looseness. Texture color, movement, all good. I wish you would let go a little more. I can see from the lines in this piece that you are trying to get most of your paint on the canvas. Let it go! Let it leave the picture plane. Your composition is inhibited by the edge of the canvas. You are involved in a totally materialistic concept. Free yourself. Your potential will unfurl.

Hey...cool thread...I'm Jack P. I've been lurking and I really like this loose concept you are all talking about...So I've come up with this 'puff and land where I planned' approach with my pastels...what do you think?

Dyin
05-21-2004, 02:45 AM
HI Jack,
Welcome to WC.

Your piece is a valiant attempt at looseness. Texture color, movement, all good. I wish you would let go a little more. I can see from the lines in this piece that you are trying to get most of your paint on the canvas. Let it go! Let it leave the picture plane. Your composition is inhibited by the edge of the canvas. You are involved in a totally materialistic concept. Free yourself. Your potential will unfurl.

thank you for your kind words. I will try not to be so constrained on my next attempt. :D

christmascarolnz
05-21-2004, 05:22 AM
Hijack! You know, I studied your work for about 5 seconds and I can definately see that this is photo realism pure and simple. The amount of time you must have put into rendering each spatter and the depths of the different layered colours would have been phenominal. I can see you did the trace every last detail from a photo thing and then plastered pastel on the back of the tracing to transfer the marks to the main support for your final painting. Splendiferous attempt Jack. My only concern is that you would now be somewhat cross-eyed.

Hi to you too Augie. Surely you must know by now that it is really impolite to paint your mother and sister during their 'toilet' and then publish it so blatanly under the guise of "nubile maidens" without their prior consent. If you had a problem with your mother grounding you and your sister stealing your girlfriend then you should deal with the issues more civily than what you have done here. Shame on you...you are also no more than a peeping Tom!

Cheers *hic*
Carol

Kathryn Wilson
05-21-2004, 09:29 AM

Hi Jack! I watched a documentary on your work last week so this is still fresh in my mind - ya gotta loosen up! Look at those lines - spatter more, draw less. Seeing way too many real images in this -

Dyin
05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Hijack! I can see you did the trace every last detail from a photo thing and then plastered pastel on the back of the tracing to transfer the marks to the main support for your final painting.

Cheers *hic*
Carol

:eek: busted! :p

Dark_Shades
05-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Is this the narrative of the work? :evil: :D

Brownies topped with big marshmellows which are "puffed" quickly in the oven then smothered in chocolate chips till they melt and then spread 'em around. ....

Dyin
05-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Is this the narrative of the work? :evil: :D

durn...busted AGAIN!!! Geez, you pastel folk sure are sharp! :p

SweetBabyJ
05-21-2004, 02:47 PM
durn...busted AGAIN!!! Geez, you pastel folk sure are sharp! :p
Comes from being rasped against Wallis sanded....

meowmeow
05-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Vinnie V. here, just stopping by. Fascinating thread you have going here...some pretty weird paintings, if I say so myself. Maybe if these people practice enough they will improve but I doubt any of them will ever amount to anything.
I love to paint people always say I can't draw a straight line. I keep trying...do you think I am getting anwhere. Tell me what you think, I am all ears!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2004/15050-sarp.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
05-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Speaking of ears, Vinnie, what's that hanging off the side of your head!

Does the world really look this weird to you? All spirals and swirls and sqwiggly lines - do the voices in your head really want you to paint this way?

Better go see the doc!

Dyin
05-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Vinnie V. here, just stopping by. Fascinating thread you have going here...some pretty weird paintings, if I say so myself. Maybe if these people practice enough they will improve but I doubt any of them will ever amount to anything.
I love to paint people always say I can't draw a straight line. I keep trying...do you think I am getting anwhere. Tell me what you think, I am all ears!!!

Vinnie...your composition is centrally composed. Don't you think an odd number of trees would be better than two? I'm afraid your water is also falling out of the picture...water should always be done horizontally. I do like your sky interpretation though....have you sold any work yet????

meowmeow
05-21-2004, 04:14 PM
an odd number of trees would be better than two

Would that apply to ears as well?

Dyin
05-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Would that apply to ears as well?

ohh....she's GOOOOOD!!!! :p

M.A.
05-21-2004, 05:38 PM
*MORE DARKS*

...LOL Pam's gonna kill me for that :D :evil: :angel: ;)

dcorc
05-21-2004, 05:52 PM

I'd like to return to this one as there's quite a bit more help we could give to Mike yet.

I think its pretty good considering the working conditions, but you really do need to avail yourself of modern technology

To show you how much improved this could be by paying a little attention to detail, I've taken the liberty of doing a quick Photoshop revision. You really should have been using a more archival support - it's your own fault for not keeping up to date, because its one of the commonest subjects of discussion in the oils forum. - so I've filled in all those nasty cracks - The colour balance is quite dreadful, and that background, obviously intended to be sky, needs substantial revision

Someone raised the question as to whether Adam's foot was webbed - this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11310988 may be relevant, in relation to some of the other anatomical abnormalities the model shows - I've made some corrections and at least some slight enlargement here too as proportions were obviously quite wrong.

If you were using alkyds, instead of fresco, you could do some lost edges and sfumato on the backgrounds, to make the figures "pop" a bit more.

And if you pulled them apart a little, there'd be the chance to add a bit more drama by adding a lens flare. Also makes the aspect ratio more widescreen - all the rage nowadays.

So, with a bit more care and attention to detail, Mike, it could look like this - only took me about 15 mins in Photoshop - substantial improvement, I'd say:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2004/30792-mike1.jpg

hope this helps!

(Vincent, you're next! :evil: )

Dave

M.A.
05-21-2004, 06:00 PM

Oh, and one more thing, see those cracks in your painting? Looks like you may be using student grade paints. You might consider buying artists quality/archival paints if you want your art to last. ;)

Dyin
05-21-2004, 06:09 PM

I'd like to return to this one as there's quite a bit more help we could give to Mike yet.

I think its pretty good considering the working conditions, but you really do need to avail yourself of modern technology

To show you how much improved this could be by paying a little attention to detail, I've taken the liberty of doing a quick Photoshop revision. You really should have been using a more archival support - it's your own fault for not keeping up to date, because its one of the commonest subjects of discussion in the oils forum. - so I've filled in all those nasty cracks - The colour balance is quite dreadful, and that background, obviously intended to be sky, needs substantial revision

Someone raised the question as to whether Adam's foot was webbed - this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11310988 may be relevant, in relation to some of the other anatomical abnormalities the model shows - I've made some corrections and at least some slight enlargement here too as proportions were obviously quite wrong.

If you were using alkyds, instead of fresco, you could do some lost edges and sfumato on the backgrounds, to make the figures "pop" a bit more.

And if you pulled them apart a little, there'd be the chance to add a bit more drama by adding a lens flare. Also makes the aspect ratio more widescreen - all the rage nowadays.

So, with a bit more care and attention to detail, Mike, it could look like this - only took me about 15 mins in Photoshop - substantial improvement, I'd say:

hope this helps!

Dave
Dave, thank you for you wonderful critique. I must confess that yes, my model showed these characteristics...I should be more careful in my selection. I should have checked this in a mirror... :eek:
Hey, I don't think I should have to worry about archival...I'm sure no one is even going to remember me in 300 years. but thanks for the tips.

Dyin
05-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Oh, and one more thing, see those cracks in your painting? Looks like you may be using student grade paints. You might consider buying artists quality/archival paints if you want your art to last. ;)

as I stated above, I am quite sure I don't need to be bothered with archival materials...silly Leonardo is into it...as if anyone is going to care about HIS stuff...especially that vapid woman he painted. :p

artmom
05-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Oooooooaaaaaah! I just dropped in from the watercolor forum! I didn't know you could do so many things with pastels! Why, they even look like oil paintings!!!

As a Newbie to pastels, could you please tell me what palette you use; and what brand of pastels; and is there more than one kind; and what kind of paper (or do you use canvas) do you use; and particularly what kind of brushes I need to buy and where do I get all of this and what is the first thing I need to learn to do and do you think I'll be able to sell my work soon and do you know how to use e-bay and will I get commissions and please list all of the colors (do ya'll call them colors) you use and please tell me how to do trees and water and figures and portraits and ...

Whoops, my tiger (I love cats) just knocked over my dirty water and then tracked all over my watercolor painting that I was going to post here. BTW, how do you use the uploader and where can I find it and please don't tell me to use that SEARCH button; that darn artmom is always "suggesting" that newbies use the SEARCH button--I don't have time for that--I want to paint!

Even though I'm a Newbie, I just have to say, Mickey, that I just don't think you are ever gonna sell that!! I just have to tell the truth in my critiques! :angel:

Can't wait to hear all your answers, folks! Bye, bye!

dcorc
05-21-2004, 06:46 PM
as I stated above, I am quite sure I don't need to be bothered with archival materials...silly Leonardo is into it...as if anyone is going to care about HIS stuff...especially that vapid woman he painted. :p

Errm - don't want to spread gossip...but...if you promise not to tell anyone...that's Leonardo in drag.

Dave

Dyin
05-21-2004, 06:51 PM
artmom...now that I have a few posts under my robe sash I like to feel that I am a seasoned Pastel forum veteran. We are always willing to help you newbies, please go the Pastel library archives and do thousand of hours of reading and you can know as much as we do! If you have any questions after all this reading then be sure to ask! Ahh, it's so good to be helpful!
I do think you should read the current critique thread, it is common to praise as well as denigrate people's work. Medicine and spoonfuls of sugar principle.
Please post as soon as the striped cat's pawprints dry, we will be glad to point out your beginner mistakes.

Mick

Dyin
05-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Errm - don't want to spread gossip...but...if you promise not to tell anyone...that's Leonardo in drag.

Dave

:eek: mum's the word!

(JULIE.....check THIS out!!! but don't TELL anyone)

SweetBabyJ
05-21-2004, 09:04 PM
ah-ha!! New meaning to "Pull my *finger*" !!

Dyin
05-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Hey, my name is Sal and I've really been excited about finding WC! I was hoping you could critique my work. I seem to have this problem with getting things to stay in place...do pastels usually melt like this? Another thing..I've always heard that pastels applied quickly, but time just seemed to drag on this one...any suggestions to speed things up? Also...can you tell what the object on the ground is? My wife says it looks like a dead platypus. I know I probably work too realistically but this is just how the photo looked, any advice appreciated!
Sal

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2004/19147-Dali.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-22-2004, 02:19 AM

Oh WOW, an underwater pic....... how lovely ..... take it the pastels were water soluable, is this the lost city of Atlantis?..... funny never thought of it looking like this...... ohhh imagination is such a wonderful thing

..... sorry forgot to add, we now have a Marine Art Forum am sure they would love to see your work

Dark_Shades
05-22-2004, 02:41 AM
My wife says it looks like a dead platypus.

Im not surprised the platypus is dead, .... you put a saddle on it :eek: ...... the focal point for me, and my eye keeps getting drawn back time and time again to your ... erm..... unmentionables hanging from the branch ..... I find it very distracting - the foreground is a little dark, but that could be my monitor, Im sure it looks lovely in real ......... all said and done, you are doing a great job

bogbeast
05-22-2004, 02:46 AM
Hey, my name is Sal and I've really been excited about finding WC! I was hoping you could critique my work. I seem to have this problem with getting things to stay in place...do pastels usually melt like this? Another thing..I've always heard that pastels applied quickly, but time just seemed to drag on this one...any suggestions to speed things up? Also...can you tell what the object on the ground is? My wife says it looks like a dead platypus. I know I probably work too realistically but this is just how the photo looked, any advice appreciated!
Sal

Sal, I understand you set up your still lifes outside, in the sun: maybe that's part of the problem you're experiencing. While you show a lot of attention to detail and it looks like your intent is to be real-istic, I think parts of your setup started to melt--they look almost sur-eapy! Go work someplace cooler and you won't have towork so feverishly.

Also, miight I suggest a little study of anatomy? I believe your "platypus" is actually part of a mask (melted, again)--aren't those eyelashes? and maybe part of nose? How come you can't even identify parts of your own still life? and until you get a little better grip on reality, you surr can't expect your viewers to identify things for you! Just keep your anatomical studies away from that Vinnie guy--he's got a thing for ears!

christmascarolnz
05-22-2004, 04:25 AM
"If you were using alkyds, instead of fresco, you could do some lost edges and sfumato on the backgrounds, to make the figures "pop" a bit more."

Perhaps if the guys would hurry up and "pull the finger" instead of lazing about in the sky the thing would "pop"!

Carol

LadyJane65
05-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Sal

Hey Sal - I can get with your problem. Are you sure this is pastels? It looks just like my paintings when I get too much medium with the oils. Paint just slides all OVER athe canvas. I am learning to let things dry between layers tho. Might want to check out the threads on the uses of the new mediums.

Just a thought.

LJ

LadyJane65
05-22-2004, 09:14 AM

hope this helps!

Dave

Gotta say, Mike, this is an incredible improvement over the original. I agree with the fact you gotta quit with the fresco stuff, and go for the best you can afford. The fresco stuff is definately only student grade, and won't hold up like good old fashioned canvas. And you really need some darks to make your rather drab palette pop.

Good job on the photoshop,, Dave.

LJ

dcorc
05-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi- my name's Augie Renwah, and I've been trying to get a looser look in my work. So far, this is the best I can do- have you any advice?

I don't think we should encourage you, Augie - those women look quite loose enough already!

Dave

dcorc
05-22-2004, 09:40 AM

From http://friendsofwashoe.org/chcichimps/enrichment/en_social.htm

Painting
The enricher offers the chimpanzee painting supplies. Paints can be kept outside the enclosure within brush's reach. Paper and paint brushes can be given to the chimpanzee. Variety can be added by presenting different colors of paper and non-toxic paints. Also various sizes of brushes can provide the chimpanzee with options. The chimpanzees at CHCI sometimes eat the paint. Enrichers limit the amount of paint they give the chimpanzees.

The last sentence of the quote elucidates the problem here quite concisely - in this case the "enricher" clearly allowed the chimpanzee to have far too much paint.

Dave

dcorc
05-22-2004, 09:54 AM

"some pretty weird paintings" - pot? kettle? black?

"Maybe if these people practice enough they will improve but I doubt any of them will ever amount to anything." - ROFLMAO ! You, sir, have an attitude problem! :mad:

Your rubbish isn't even worth bothering to critique - you don't seriously believe anybody's ever going to buy your talentless trash, do you? Get a job, man!

Hoping other "artists" looking for critique won't be as big a waste of time as that one! I do generally try to stay positive - but really! - sometimes one just has to tell people the truth. :(

Dave

Dark_Shades
05-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi- my name's Augie Renwah - have you any advice?

:confused: Who?
........ perhaps a name change?

.... sorry your pic is rather blurry, could you post a clearer image

dcorc
05-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Now I know some of you may feel I've been a little harsh on Vincent and his wobbly landscape.

I take the role of offering sensitive and perceptive critiques here, very seriously - I'm pleased to say that over the years, I've seen hundreds of people who've been just as useless at art as Vincent, and I've almost always managed to persuade them that they'd be better giving up art altogether and developing alternative interests - I've heard that some of them have turned to an interest in alcohol, or shooting. One guy just couldn't be stopped from tying ropes into complex knots until he had an unfortunate accident - and I heard that another recent critiquee had spent hours on the phone with one of those helplines for the severely distressed (obviously, I must have stirred some latent sense of public-spiritedness in him). I just shudder to think of some of the stuff that could have found its way onto gallery walls if I hadn't intervened!

:D Dave

Dyin
05-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Now I know some of you may feel I've been a little harsh on Vincent and his wobbly landscape.

I take the role of offering sensitive and perceptive critiques here, very seriously - I'm pleased to say that over the years, I've seen hundreds of people who've been just as useless at art as Vincent, and I've almost always managed to persuade them that they'd be better giving up art altogether and developing alternative interests - I've heard that some of them have turned to an interest in alcohol, or shooting. One guy just couldn't be stopped from tying ropes into complex knots until he had an unfortunate accident - and I heard that another recent critiquee had spent hours on the phone with one of those helplines for the severely distressed (obviously, I must have stirred some latent sense of public-spritedness in him). I just shudder to think of some of the stuff that could have found its way onto gallery walls if I hadn't intervened!

I just hope they have some kind of a medal for guys like you...I've been looking at these posts and shuddering at what's called art these days. Thanks for stepping up and being a real man...just what this place needs.

zeegallerie
05-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Hey Mikey wassup dude? Whats with all the finger pointin anyways. Ya know it would be easier lookin at this if it wasn't on the #####!!! ceiling. You really are a pain in the neck. We all know the the Pope is always lookin up for guidance but to put his paintin on theceilin is a bit over the top just tell him you want your pay.

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Hi- I'm JimWhistles, and I am so excited to be here! I've been lurking and learning all I can reading these posts. I went out and spent a whole paycheck on three complete sets of colours and finally got brave and just got some paper out and all my colours and went to town. What do you think? Don't hold back- I know I'm a newbie, and I have a lot to learn. Thank you!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2004/9169-0000000whistler.jpg

Kitty Wallis
05-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Very nice Jim, you keep working, you'll get it, this is really very nice :o

btw, did you mean 3 colors or 3 sets of colors?

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 12:41 AM
I got a complete set of yellows, a set of ultramarines and a set of reds- but I didn't use the reds much, they were pretty hard. With the three primaries, I thought I could now make any colour at all!

I'm so glad you think it's good, though, because I was worried about dividing the canvas in half horizontally and the feeling the water is sliding off the page- I didn't even notice that until I posted the pic!!

I'm particularily pleased with the level of detail I got, it's hard to see here, but in real it's very nice.

dcorc
05-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Jim, if you and Sal got it together and collaborated, you could just about produce one half-decent picture between the pair of you.

Here's how it could look - Sals got a not bad landscape, once we get rid of all the druggie stuff, and you've got your guy wishing he was sailing, but getting lost in all that grunge - but stick 'em together - like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2004/30792-whitsal.jpg

and you've got a winner (or at least it's not as bad as Vincent's anyway).

Dave

Dyin
05-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Hi- I'm JimWhistles, and I am so excited to be here! I've been lurking and learning all I can reading these posts. I went out and spent a whole paycheck on three complete sets of colours and finally got brave and just got some paper out and all my colours and went to town. What do you think? Don't hold back- I know I'm a newbie, and I have a lot to learn. Thank you!!

I was going to give you some advice about composition but see Dave's gotcha covered.. :p
Meanwhile...maybe you should stick to subjects close to home...like your mother or something

Dyin
05-23-2004, 01:04 AM
AW here...I've been trying to get away from painting the obvious and explore the inner me...any comments?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/19147-soup.jpg

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 01:15 AM
"Copyright Infringement!!!"

Deborah Secor
05-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Julie's is right AW. You better change the label at least 20%.

These ellipses are perfect--maybe too perfect. It's very nice, though a bit mundane in subject matter, but nice...uh..yes, nice. Maybe in another one you could let some pastels strokes show, as if it were a painting--you know? The color is bright but what about subtlety or complexity? Try layering instead of so much blending.

Also, I wonder if it might not be a tad bit more interesting if you let part of the can go off the page somewhere, or gave it a little breathing room on one side. It might be somewhat stronger if it wasn't so...static.

But it would make a nice print, I suspect.

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks, Dave, but you do know Sal's a bit loony, right? I had lunch with he and Vince, and you coulda knocked me over witha feather when the men in white coats came and got VINCENT rather than Sal. Sal was shaking his fist at 'em as they left, shouting "I believe that the moment is near when, by a procedure of active paranoiac thought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to the total discrediting of the world of reality."

Now tell me, is that a sane man???

Dyin
05-23-2004, 01:19 AM
"Ciopyright Infringement!!!"

stutter much? :p

Dyin
05-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks, Dave, but you do know Sal's a bit loony, right? I had lunch with he and Vince, and you coulda knocked me over witha feather when the men in white coats came and got VINCENT rather than Sal. Sal was shaking his fist at 'em as they left, shouting "I believe that the moment is near when, by a procedure of active paranoiac thought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to the total discrediting of the world of reality."

perhaps not sane, but a good politician....

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 01:22 AM
wanna get together and pose for ol' PeeCaSo there? 'Tween us, I bet we have *just* his kind of spine....

Deborah Secor
05-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Um, forgot to mention the 'inner you' coming out, AW. Don't go there. Dave will rip you apart. (This could get ugly.)

Deborah

Dyin
05-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Julie's is right AW. You better change the label at least 20%.

These ellipses are perfect--maybe too perfect. It's very nice, though a bit mundane in subject matter, but nice...uh..yes, nice. Maybe in another one you could let some pastels strokes show, as if it were a painting--you know? The color is bright but what about subtlety or complexity? Try layering instead of so much blending.

Also, I wonder if it might not be a tad bit more interesting if you let part of the can go off the page somewhere, or gave it a little breathing room on one side. It might be somewhat stronger if it wasn't so...static.

But it would make a nice print, I suspect.

Deborah

thanks Deborah, I was a bit worried about the static aspect. Do you think prints would sell? I don't know...maybe I'd do better with one off's...

Karen Cardinal
05-23-2004, 03:06 AM
I've been lurking reading this thread for a few days now and have got to say... this is the best thread I've ever seen! :D :D
Thanks for inviting me to join you guys in the backrow SweetBabyJ! Sorry I ate all the oatmeal cookies. I've got a bag of Hershey bars though. Who likes the one's with almonds?

Well, I must tell you I don't anything about pastels and even though I've never posted at this forum before, I'm sure I have some insites that will be very helpful for you struggling artists.

AW here...I've been trying to get away from painting the obvious and explore the inner me...any comments?

First let me say this is a nice attempt to draw a simple object. You haven't done too badly here. You'll find that if you want to make your objects look real though you HAVE TO use shading instead of lines. Your soup can looks very flat.

If you really want the illustrative look, you need to put some character into your lines. Give them some more flow. As it stands now this simply doesn't have anything special about it that would make it stand out.

Another thing to watch for... your can is a cylinder, but the words on the can are on too much of a flat plane. You need to make the text wrap around the can if you are going to make it at all belivable.

I think you have done a good job at this, but I'm sure once you work with it some more you'll see that it can be so much better.
Keep practicing those drawing skills. Also try drawing other objects as well. Shoes are great practice for developing your eye for perspective.

You'll get there one day! Just keep working at it. :D

Dyin
05-23-2004, 03:12 AM
I've been lurking reading this thread for a few days now and have got to say... this is the best thread I've ever seen! :D :D

:D

Mo.
05-23-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi folks, my name is Leo but you can call me "Da Man", I was a tad concerned to read some adverse comments about my Mona, now I kow she's cracking up a bit but really there was no need to be so cruel with your snide remarks, especially that Mike, after all what does he know about human anatomy? Did he ever chop up any bodies or plants to further his knowledge, so to this end I post my latest masterpiece for you to consider.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/5154-6stjohn.jpg

as you will note it has a rather poignant message, I would like to hear your comments on this new technique that I'm developing called chiaroscuro, hope you don't find this subject too boring.

Da Man

christmascarolnz
05-23-2004, 07:22 AM
"chiaroscuro"?? That's Italian for "cheerio Scurodopolis" isn't it? If it is, that is a 'Mr Bean' kinda wave I've got to say! I believe that Mr Bean is also ol' Whistler's best friend as well, isn't he? (-gotta do something about the cold too poor ol' chap.)
You should have been taught that such a 'wave' is not polite in gentile company such as ours. We here, are as refined as our best pastels... ;)
Otherwise if your model is trying to point out the fact that there is a leak in your ceiling or something crawling on the wall, then you have totally missed 'the point'.
I'm sorry Mr Da Man Leo, but your attitude toward us really gets up my nose - and like I mentioned about my friend, Bean - you wouldn't want that to happen when I'm around your mother's portrait!
Good day sir.
Carol

Dark_Shades
05-23-2004, 07:23 AM

Well I have heard some say, Less is More.... but I guess there is an exception to every rule

I do think you should give more thought to your composition ... your figure could be better placed, its nearly off the page ....... have you read up on the theory of the 'Golden Mean' - I suggest you do a search of the threads.... just type in golden mean ..... search button can be found top right

Dark_Shades
05-23-2004, 07:31 AM

.... hmmm well I dunno, sort of doesnt really leave much to the imagination does it ...... again raises the question of placement, its dead centre, thats a BIG No No ..... 3 is the magic number ... Im sure you would have much more fun with that sort of arrangement, you could stack them, or one on its side, one leaning against another..... opens up a whole new avenue ... go wild, add a tin opener, bowl.... spoon..... ohhhh the ideas and options are endless

dcorc
05-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Hi folks, my name is Leo but you can call me "Da Man", I was a tad concerned to read some adverse comments about my Mona, now I kow she's cracking up a bit but really there was no need to be so cruel with your snide remarks, especially that Mike, after all what does he know about human anatomy? Did he ever chop up any bodies or plants to further his knowledge, so to this end I post my latest masterpiece for you to consider.

as you will note it has a rather poignant message, I would like to hear your comments on this new technique that I'm developing called chiaroscuro, hope you don't find this subject too boring.

Da Man

It's important not to use the same sitter for your "male" paintings as you do for your "female" ones, Leo! Now while Mike has a tendency to strap false boobs onto bricklayers and call them "girls", you obviously go the other way here, with your girly boy, still with that same stupid inane smirk, I notice! What with that and the "chiaroscuro" (buy another candle, already! - that way you'll be able to see what you're painting!! :rolleyes: ) you're obviously spending too much time with that creepy Caravaggio guy :(

And another thing - your human anatomy's not that great either, so I wouldn't get too uppity if I were you - you seem to have ignored the clavicle altogether, and you've got brachioradialis taking its origin from rather too high up the humeral shaft!

Dave

dcorc
05-23-2004, 07:45 AM

perhaps not sane, but a good politician....

Sal was also heard to say "The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad" - Now there's a guy we don't want with his finger on the nuclear button! :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/30792-boom.jpg

:eek:

Dave

dcorc
05-23-2004, 07:48 AM

Just because you paint a tomato soup can, doesn't mean that it's necessary to sign it in tomato soup too ! :rolleyes:

Dave

Dark_Shades
05-23-2004, 09:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/30792-boom.jpg

:eek:

Dave

lololol, I have to say, this actually left me speechless! :eek:

..... is this the innerself from the tin of soup ?..... sometimes things should remain in the can .....(but dont forget to flush) ....
..... but I applaud you, must be very difficult painting within the restrictions of those 'nifty' little white jackets they supply you with these days - I do hope you get better soon

(gotta say ....... Hats off and tons of clappies to Sue for thinking up such a brilliant thread..... come on guys, you've had tons of fun with this ..... if you havent been joining in, you certainly have been reading it :D, give it and Sue your applause......... Rate it :) ) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
05-23-2004, 10:06 AM

hope you don't find this subject too boring.

Da Man

Find it speculative...... Its a Bird, ...... Its a Plane...... Its ...

A LadyBoy !!!! :eek:

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 11:11 AM

Da Man

Oooooh! Isn't that the same model you used for your Madonna?! Is there some kind of TG modelling agency around, because it's smart to paint the same model a few times to really get a feel for her?him? before finishing up a good piece, and a TG works great for so many different scenes.

That right (viewer's right) eye looks a bit wonky, but could be the whole genetic drift thing going on, and can you do me a personal favor and find out where s/he gets her perms done? I've paid good money for hairstyles like that which've never come out right.

dcorc
05-23-2004, 11:44 AM
That right (viewer's right) eye looks a bit wonky

Well, frankly, I think that's a little insensitive of you - here's a photo of the slightly older Marty Feldman to compare, and I think we can see that Leo captured the wayward glint in that eye to perfection!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/30792-martyf.jpg

Karen Cardinal
05-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Well, frankly, I think that's a little insensitive of you - here's a photo of the slightly older Marty Feldman to compare, and I think we can see that Leo captured the wayward glint in that eye to perfection!

LOL :D :D
Sorry, but that was way too funny! :D

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Wow! I never knew Marty Feldman was TG- learn something new every day.

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the Hershey Bar, Karen- it made a good breakfast of Champignons- or something like that....

Karen Cardinal
05-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Yea, they go really well with this strong smelling fruit punch Vince gave me.

...but why is the room spinning... ;)

SweetBabyJ
05-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Yea, they go really well with this strong smelling fruit punch Vince gave me.

...but why is the room spinning... ;)

Sal's idea of a joke, prolly- he's forever trying to defy the rules of reality.

meowmeow
05-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Wow! That resemblance is scary!!!! :D

Dark_Shades
05-23-2004, 12:13 PM

ROFL!!! :clap: :clap:
I knew I'd seen the face before ..... lolol

Deborah Secor
05-23-2004, 12:52 PM
AW, hope you don't mind but I grabbed your painting and gave it a little boost. I think the crop helps and maybe you could do it again, this time with some creative color. How about some compliments? Try some layering... Just a thought...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/23609-soup.jpg

Deborah

Felica Keech-Smith
05-23-2004, 02:12 PM
:D :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

LOVE this thread... and definately rated!

Dana Design
05-23-2004, 02:54 PM
AW, hope you don't mind but I grabbed your painting and gave it a little boost. I think the crop helps and maybe you could do it again, this time with some creative color. How about some compliments? Try some layering... Just a thought...

Deborah

This REALLY speaks to me! What kind of a brush did you use?

dcorc
05-23-2004, 02:59 PM

Deborah

But what it really needs to bring out the full flavour are condiments, not compliments.

Dave

Kitty Wallis
05-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Sue, This is not only great fun, it's great practice. I've learned to take this critique thing a bit less seriously. I'm not Quite so full of myself.

Karen Cardinal
05-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Sue, This is not only great fun, it's great practice. I've learned to take this critique thing a bit less seriously. I'm not Quite so full of myself.

Here here... I'll second that!
Although I'm sure I'm still quite brilliant. :rolleyes: ;)

Dyin
05-23-2004, 04:34 PM
lol....I'm having the time of my life...just watching all you go! Not everyone gets my quirky sense of humor so was a little worried how it would go over...I forget...this is an ARTIST forum lol! What a great bunch of creative replies! Thanks to all of you for making it so much fun! :clap: :clap: :clap:

btw.....I found this under my easel...anyone know whose it is?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/19147-ear.jpg

dcorc
05-23-2004, 04:39 PM
lol....I'm having the time of my life...just watching all you go! Not everyone gets my quirky sense of humor so was a little worried how it would go over...I forget...this is an ARTIST forum lol! What a great bunch of creative replies! Thanks to all of you for making it so much fun! :clap: :clap: :clap:

btw.....I found this under my easel...anyone know whose it is?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/19147-ear.jpg

Its not detached, and it appears to be left-side, so it's not the one Vincent cut off, anyway :)

Dave

Dyin
05-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Its not detached, and it appears to be left-side, so it's not the one Vincent cut off, anyway :)

Dave

whoops, reversed the photo...the rest is just digi manip..couldn't stand to look at it unattached to anything....sure hope that's all that Vinnie cut off...

Dana Design
05-23-2004, 05:57 PM

Dave

That's a baby ear and couldn't possibly have been Vin's ear. Once you really get into drawing from life, you will find that as the face grows, the top of the ear pitches forward a bit, lengthens somewhat, darkens in the interior, develops creases, is more upright and has hairs inside of it (for most men and this definitely looks like a male ear).

Sincerely,
Dr. Dooright
Anatomy

dcorc
05-23-2004, 06:18 PM
That's a baby ear and couldn't possibly have been Vin's ear. Once you really get into drawing from life, you will find that as the face grows, the top of the ear pitches forward a bit, lengthens somewhat, darkens in the interior, develops creases, is more upright and has hairs inside of it (for most men and this definitely looks like a male ear).

Sincerely,
Dr. Dooright
Anatomy

Well, I didn't want to get that detailed, but since you mention it, it's not baby, it is pre-pubertal though. Your comments are correct, but it should be noted that facial soft tissues continue to slowly grow throughout life (it's not all just the effect of gravity) which is why we come to resemble our caricatures!

Grimly,
Dr De'ath
Histopathology

Dana Design
05-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, I didn't want to get that detailed, but since you mention it, it's not baby, it is pre-pubertal though. You're comments are correct, but it should be noted that facial soft tissues continue to slowly grow throughout life (it's not all just the effect of gravity) which is why we come to resemble our caricatures!

Expensively,
Dr De'ath
Histopathology

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! :D

Deborah Secor
05-23-2004, 08:19 PM
This REALLY speaks to me! What kind of a brush did you use?

Um, brushes??? I use my fingers. (Refers Dana to thread title: this is the PASTEL forum. Or it used to be...)

Dana Design
05-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Um, brushes??? I use my fingers. (Refers Dana to thread title: this is the PASTEL forum. Or it used to be...)

Sorry, I thought some folks used brushes here. I'll quietly slink away.

Deborah Secor
05-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Wait--Deborah runs after Dana, apologizing profusely!

:o Sorry--I thought you knew and were teasing me... so I teased back. sure wish we had tone of voice here sometimes...

Come back and play! I didn't mean it!

Deborah

Dana Design
05-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Wait--Deborah runs after Dana, apologizing profusely!

:o Sorry--I thought you knew and were teasing me... so I teased back. sure wish we had tone of voice here sometimes...

Come back and play! I didn't mean it!

Deborah

Does that mean you really DO use brushes? ;) :) :D

Sometimes smilies are good.

meowmeow
05-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Smilies are great...I wish we had more!!!!

SweetBabyJ
05-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Brushes are used extensively in Pastel work- mostly to get rid of a mistake.

I, myself, have three grades of brushes: The soft "Ooops! Let's get that line straight" tiny little watercolour 00 brush, the stiffer flat fake hog's bristle brush about 1/2" wide and for those "Damnit! That whole section has to go!", and the larger, stiffer from-the-housewares-section-scrubbing- "I'll teach you to not look right!" brush which is used on Wallis paper with running water and sometimes a tad of vigor. Well, I call it vigor, but what it really is, is frustrated anger.

Wallis is great- it's like "victim paper"- it'll take all your frustrations and still come back for more.

I'm thinking if JimmyWhistles up there'd availed himself of that latter brush, he'd have a pretty good underpainting going for a sea scene....

CarlyHardy
05-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Suggestion for Jack P....

could you please create an article or post a WIP for your "melted Oil Pastel" technique.

I could use this on location in the summer months here in Georgia!

carly :)

CarlyHardy
05-24-2004, 02:11 PM

I use brushes a lot with my pastels! Could that be my problem!!!:::???
carly :confused:

bogbeast
05-24-2004, 02:50 PM

Perhaps we're all just full of tomato soup! :evil:

Dark_Shades
05-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Sorry, I thought some folks used brushes here.

You are right..... Gaka most certainly does...... I have done too :)

Kitty Wallis
05-24-2004, 05:05 PM
I use an old toothbrush to scrub areas that I've overworked and still don't have right.

Dyin
05-24-2004, 05:29 PM
you people are so far behind the times...latest pastels craze is to get some Wallis paper, use your fingers to blend and allow that lively red blood to enhance the strokes...sheesh, get with it folks!! Brushes are now passe unless you want more texture in your enhancement....

meowmeow
05-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi all...Pete Bagel stopping by on my way to market and thought I'd ask you opinion. I took some photos in the town center last week and whipped up this quickie of a few kids playing...a friend came by and said it was kind of busy. Whaddaya think?
Thanks for looking...you all have a pretty cool site here. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/15050-games.jpg

Dyin
05-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Well, your friend is not doing you any favors. I think you have TOO much space...I know you could add a good 40-50 more figures at least. Good try though.

Hey!!! I found Waldo!!!!!!! :clap:

Dyin
05-24-2004, 06:11 PM

Da Man

Hey Daman...I do think that when you use your body chopped parts that you should be careful not to mix them up for your paintings...I also noticed that the head has a bit of Frankensteinish tilt to it...and too, as stated earlier, rude gestures will not be tolerated on this site. Oh, one more thing...did you mean it to be this dark????

beebear
05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh, I'm not so serious about myself that I would tell others what to do. Get over it...there are many whould just move on. Get a life...

Dyin
05-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh, I'm not so serious about myself that I would tell others what to do. Get over it...there are many whould just move on. Get a life...

:p

SweetBabyJ
05-24-2004, 09:44 PM
I think Pete needs Jackie in here- those perspective lines are off.....

Deborah Secor
05-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Does that mean you really DO use brushes? ;) :) :D

Sometimes smilies are good.

The only brush I use or have ever used for my pastels is a foam house painting brush, the kind you use to paint trim, and then only to erase large parts or the whole thing...

Smilies would've worked...duh... LOL Ya wanna smack me upside the head??? We need the 'duh' smilie, maybe Forrest Gump.

Deborah

Dana Design
05-24-2004, 11:30 PM
The only brush I use or have ever used for my pastels is a foam house painting brush, the kind you use to paint trim, and then only to erase large parts or the whole thing...

Smilies would've worked...duh... LOL Ya wanna smack me upside the head??? We need the 'duh' smilie, maybe Forrest Gump.

Deborah

Would a nice hug do instead? :) :) :)

Dana Design
05-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi all...Pete Bagel stopping by on my way to market and thought I'd ask you opinion. I took some photos in the town center last week and whipped up this quickie of a few kids playing...a friend came by and said it was kind of busy. Whaddaya think?
Thanks for looking...you all have a pretty cool site here. :D

Pete, nice painting but it wouldn't hurt to loosen up a bit. Also, it's a small nit but that lady with the white sack on her head lower left just draws my eye immediately to her. Perhaps you should move her into the golden triangle or even perhaps crop the bottom.

Other than that, I'd suggest buying a nice but cheap frame. Wow! what a family! They will love this!

jackiesimmonds
05-25-2004, 03:00 AM
I think Pete needs Jackie in here- those perspective lines are off.....

I noticed that, and my advice would be to brush the whole thing off and start again. Get your perspective lines right and the picture will work, Pete. I keep on telling you, no point in fiddling with all the detail when the structure is all wrong. Now, get brushing and let's see some real improvement here.

J

dcorc
05-25-2004, 09:30 AM

you should be ashamed of yourself, Pete.That is a most blatant plagiarism of this painting, "Huddersfield":

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2004/30792-huddersfield.jpg

by the much better artist L.S. Lousy

meowmeow
05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Gasp! You caught me, Dave!!!! :D

But...just to prove I can indeed draw a straight line and know my perspective rules, just take a look at this! This should put that "straight-laced" Jackie in her place! :D
I think. :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2004/15050-babel1.jpg

dcorc
05-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Gasp! You caught me, Dave!!!! :D

But...just to prove I can indeed draw a straight line and know my perspective rules, just take a look at this! This should put that "straight-laced" Jackie in her place! :D
I think. :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2004/15050-babel1.jpg

You're a DISGRACE! you've done it again!

Here's L.S.Lousy's "The Notice Board" :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2004/30792-noticeboard.jpg

- which quite evidently shows the same construction site at an earlier stage in the proceedings (even the ships in the harbour are similar!) - the crowd has gathered on the hill to read the notice announcing the building of the tower, and are obviously walking away, all muttering in the same lancashire accent "no'but baad'il cumm ov't".

jackiesimmonds
05-26-2004, 04:01 AM
8.00am You guys are too much. What a joy to start each day with laughter.

xxstraight-lacedJackie

Meisie
05-26-2004, 04:31 AM
At 12.30 am this thread is most enjoyable still Jackie ;) How is a person supposed to get to bed early with all this to read? :rolleyes:
No consideration anywhere nowadays :(

I'm off to rate this one....:D

Meisie

christmascarolnz
05-26-2004, 05:14 AM
'ello there chaps... my friends call me John - not as in 'Dear John' but more as John Singleton Copley. Some idiots tried 'JC' and wondered why it didn't go over too well.. anyway, I digress. A funny thing happened while I was out for a bit of the ol' plein aire thingy when this chap swam by in the altogether. He was marring my wonderful seascape, when a large shark decided to include him in his menu. Being the opportunist that I am, I thought I'd capture the whole scene on canvas and was most incensed that the blighters wouldn't stay still - when blow me down Monty Python's Flying Circus raced across the horizon and into my painting as they pounded at the poor shark, who had by this time nibbled at the poor chap's foot... The whole thing would've turned into a feeding frenzy if the director hadn't cried "cut!" and everyone mumbled and went back to make-up...including the shark. Such is a day in this life of mine...
Anyway, is my subject too macabre to hang on the dining room wall? Who would buy this piece do you think...Would it be crass of me to sell it to the guy in the raw?

Dyin
05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Hey, that's my husband in the water!!!! He's been away on location at sea and while I was out pacing on the widow's walk I saw someone walk by with this painting under their arm (obviously eager to hang it in THEIR dining room). Even though he's a bit of a ham, I do love him so but I am going to have to have a word with him about turning his face more towards the camera, er um, canvas. I think he better start using some of George Hamilton's advice and get a bit of a tan there....he's so fish belly white I could hardly tell who was the shark! Anyways, I can't tell you how grateful I am to just get a glimpse of my husband, I'm always afraid he's off fishing with a starlet and it's good to know he's instead safely being shark attacked.
Hey, can I hire you to follow him around and get more pictures? If he IS fishing I could get a nice divorce settlement....
oh, nice painting....perhaps a little anatomy study of sharks might help though..sort of looks like an anaconda with a split tale...but then again, it IS a low budget movie...

meowmeow
05-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Nice handling of those distaNt ships, John...although there is a lot going on and it is hard to tell what they are exactly...looks like a bunch of crosses out there!
So, how did you get that model (Sue's huuby, that is) to hold still for you? Tough pose!

Dana Design
05-26-2004, 12:32 PM
'ello there chaps... my friends call me John - not as in 'Dear John' but more as John Singleton Copley. Some idiots tried 'JC' and wondered why it didn't go over too well.. anyway, I digress. A funny thing happened while I was out for a bit of the ol' plein aire thingy when this chap swam by in the altogether. ...Would it be crass of me to sell it to the guy in the raw?

Hmmphh! Cheesecake! Cheesecake! Everywhere I look it's Cheesecake!

I can tell you this JC, it won't pass the censors!

yah.

SweetBabyJ
05-26-2004, 12:37 PM
John, John, John- with the state of public schools today do you REALLY expect allegorical work to sell?!? This generation was spoon-fed popular culture from the womb- you'd better start taking a look at the message you can convey with a McDonald's sign.

Dyin
05-26-2004, 01:30 PM
cheesecake??? Is this going to turn into a food thread too???? :D

Dana Design
05-26-2004, 01:50 PM
cheesecake??? Is this going to turn into a food thread too???? :D

In my neck of the woods, cheesecake is SEXY pictures. So, I guess it depends upon what you consider FOOD! :o :p :evil: :D

Dyin
05-26-2004, 01:54 PM
In my neck of the woods, cheesecake is SEXY pictures. So, I guess it depends upon what you consider FOOD! :o :p :evil: :D

works for me :eek: :p :evil: :D

SweetBabyJ
05-26-2004, 02:09 PM
new meaning to "good enough to eat'....

ick- don't let's mention food right now, though, okay?

purplelizard
05-28-2004, 12:00 AM
I am dying of laughter - tears streaming down my face, as I just read through most of this thread!! I've been "out" for a week with the challenges of the last week of school - I teach art ... but, now we're done! Yea!

This is wonderfully entertaining.......gotta love y'all! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dana Design
05-28-2004, 12:03 AM
I am dying of laughter - tears streaming down my face, as I just read through most of this thread!! I've been "out" for a week with the challenges of the last week of school - I teach art ... but, now we're done! Yea!

This is wonderfully entertaining.......gotta love y'all! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great! School's out! So, it's your turn to come up with your very own "famous painting". Who will you be? What will you paint? Waiting....

purplelizard
05-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Mmmm, gotta find it.....check back tomorrow as I cruise my multitude of books for my favorite! :p I know just who I want to be!