PDA

View Full Version : another west coast roller

sendin
05-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Seascape Fans,

Here's my latest. It is 20"H x 40"W oil on stretched canvas.

This is my largest painting yet and my first on stretched canvas. Most of my others were on masonite.

This one is called "SH on the Rocks"

I tried MANY times to see if I could make this image bigger and no luck - my apologies.

Hope you like it anyway. Thanks Denny

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2004/26882-SHontheRocks1.jpg

Gillette
05-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Denny
It's terrific, what power, and action you have portrayed! The light on the waves coupled with the ocean haze is superb, I could live with that one for ever. I love your use of colour. Very well done.
Jane.

laudesan
05-20-2004, 03:43 AM
Magnificent........

I would hang this is my house in a heartbeat..

Only one tiny nit........

On the right, what is the pale green above the horizon line??????????

DLevesque
05-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Hi Denny....beautiful work as usual. You just get better and better. You are making us homesick for the Sonoma County coast!
Haven't been able to get up here as often as I want but glad I stopped by.
Keep it up.

Dick

ripvanblair
05-20-2004, 05:58 AM
This looks excellent ,you can just feel the power of these breakers--------well done-----------Alan

imlayte
05-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Nice shapes and great values and that's what counts. Very good work.

Howard

Eugene Veszely
05-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Impressive moreso if I could see it at 20"H x 40"W :)

Can feel that surf pounding into the coast ... :)

Jenoir
05-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Wow!! I definitely didn't have to hold a conch shell to my ear to hear your ocean!! I can, by visual feel its power, hear the thundering roar, smell the surf and feel the spray. This is magnificent!! How long did it take you to do this? I love it!!

LisaArt
05-20-2004, 08:47 PM
This is amazing. I thought it was the reference picture. Great work :clap: :clap: I just love the foam and waves and that beautiful green water coming out. WOW.

Marty C
05-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Denny,
A classical, beautiful work. The light is magical on the tops of the waves and the foam is perfect. The movement is wonderful, you have displayed true mastery on this one.

sendin
05-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks Jane.

Yes, laudesan you have a good eye. That is a distant headland that is a bit too much on the green side. I think it shoud've been more blue. But to answer your question -it is a headland, obscured by distance and moisture in the air.

Hi Dick - thanks for your compliment and please come for a visit.

Thanks Alan, Howard and 1chameleon - Don't we need more space (file size) to show the bigger pieces?

Thank you Jenoir - I am getting faster. It used to take me 3 to 4 weekends to complete a 15" x 22" and this latest, SH on the Rocks only took two weekends. That does not include the time it took to prepare the canvas frame and canvas.

Thank you Lisa.

Hey Marty - Thanks for your grand compliments -

I had fun with this one. Since this was my first try on stretched canvas and also a large piece, I figured I'd try out a smaller landscape first as practice. So I had a nice photo of a red barn near our house taken in the late afternoon. So I layed it out and put a day into it and then the life went out of it...... I REALLY WANTED TO DO A BIG SEASCAPE !! So the little red barn got put away and I tore into this one. Its from the same shots where I got VLLTTW posted some time ago. I dedicate "SH on the Rocks" to Vernon Kerr. If we love seascapes, we should all know about this great west coast artist.

Thanks to all of you. You are a great encouragement to me. Denny

xavier
05-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Boy this guy is good! :clap:

bobsart
05-23-2004, 04:25 PM
I would suggest you call this "Rock & Roll" but I'm planning on using that title for my next piece. :clap: :clap:

sendin
05-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Hi Frank, Good at painting, right? Thanks :D :D

OK bob "Rock & Roll" is taken.

yogi
05-26-2004, 06:55 PM
In ways, I feel there's little use for me to post because I am simply echoing everyone else's "ooo's" and "ah's." :) But, I don't want to lose track of this one because I want to come back and look again and again, just as I have to do with the ocean itself. Thus, I will post so I can keep track of this painting, but also to say, "Ooooo," "ahhhh," "awesome," and "way to go!" :D Truly beautiful.

sendin
05-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi Yogi,

I'm really glad that you took a look and honored that you left your comments. I'd be dishonest to say that I'm indifferent about echoes. I come here for encouragement because I think I need it. So thank you very much. Its people like you that help to make painting such a fantastic experience for me. Denny

yogi
05-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, then, by all means, be encouraged. :) Pick up that brush and paint, paint, paint! The canvas is calling you. And, be sure to post them all! Encore, encore! :clap: :clap:

Bobbo
06-01-2004, 09:16 PM
yes,very impressive,those colors look spot on
i can feel the breeze from the waves
excellent work :clap: :clap: :clap:

brrice
06-03-2004, 06:47 PM
This is really good wave action. Well done!. You said this is your first on canvas. I paint on masonite as well . What did you find was the advantage of canvas over masionite. Im just curious because I am considering a painting on canvas too.

sendin
06-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi Bobbo - Thank you for your compliments.

Hi brrice - Pardon my take on this, but I am painting on canvas now due to the alleged fact that the local galleries seem to prefer it for their more 'discerning' customers and also for my own curiosity. Canvas seems acceptable down here and masonite an oddity. I can't explain it - I have a lot to learn yet. So far, canvas is more work and I really don't like the 'tooth.' I know I can get that out with more gesso and more sanding or using a wet soft brush to knock it down before it dires completely. That is more work too.

I must admit though that painting on stretched canvas is growing on me.

Also, check out www.canvasplace.com for some really nice stretched canvas's that are gallery wrapped and primed at a very good price.

I think it is worth doing - just for the experience - even preparing the whole thing yourself - stretcher frame, unprimed canvas and all.

Good luck - Denny