PDA

View Full Version : Steps to ...completion?WDE 15 May

Charlie's Mum
05-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Managed to complete this this evening - hope it's OK to post a new thread for those who have already commented: for the first-time-lookers, there is another thread somewhere with the first stage of this. :)
B, 2B and 5B pencils on cartridge paper, approx 21x25cms -(8x10ins). About 5hrs in all. Think I'll call it a day, tho' I know it could do with a few more darks in, just to lift it on the L area near the steps - maybe when I've more time!!! :) Thanks for looking - feel free to comment if you wish! :)

leojacko
05-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Wonderful drawing, Maureen - you must be really pleased with this !

Nina

Charlie's Mum
05-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks Nina - I've just been looking at your SIX steps again!!!!!
Glad you're using it for your signature - it's worth looking at! :)

leojacko
05-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Yep, but I'm mucking around with it & haven't got it right yet :evil:

any tips on size of image?

MKathleen
05-19-2004, 05:28 PM
:) Wow Maureen, your pencil work is outstanding! I love to see you do more of it.

Charlie's Mum
05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Thank you Kathy for your lovely comment - will try to oblige! :)

Charlie's Mum
05-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Yep, but I'm mucking around with it & haven't got it right yet :evil: any tips on size of image?

Hi Nina, have you tried reducing the pic to 100 pix. max dimension?
My sig. animation is 100x100 and the name bit a separate 'banner' size.
I'll have a try at downloading and changing yours if your prog. won't do it - if you'd like me to try! :)

Erikart
05-19-2004, 07:56 PM
:clap: :D
This is by far my favorite for this WDE. I'm truly nut's about pencil and pen/ink. I will try something like this for the next WDE. how did you start the image? How many different pencils do you normally use?

Deano
05-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Very skillful use of graphite. Wonderful textures and shading. :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
05-20-2004, 01:01 AM
I suspected it will be that good :)
We can compare here yours Maureen with Nina's before she reduces the size :D See that very light top right corner? It makes difference in terms of composition... In graphite it's hardly any means to emphasize something except by value, I figure... touch of unfinisheness... *sigh*

Sharrm
05-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Wow Maureen, this is excellent, what a lot of work. I always look forward, to seeing what you are doing next. :clap: :clap: Sharron

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Thank you very much Erikart - I just start to draw! I try to study the size, proportion and balance and do a line drawing to check, then, if OK, I start planning the tones. I find making a small (2 or 3ins) rough sketch of tonal areas helps establish light and darks, the middle tones then take care of themselves! If I was to do a very large version, I'd probably scale it up but most of the time I rely on my eye!
I usually use only 3 pencils - but have more if nec. I seldom use anything harder than an HB and mostly draw with B or 2B in the initial stages.
Sorry to be long-winded, but you did ask!!!!!! :D
I'm pleased you too like drawing - it was always my 'first love'! :)

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Thank you Deano for looking and commenting again - it's much appreciated :)

Alex, thank you for your comment :)
I like the comp in Nina's painting too, but I wanted to keep a 'closed in' feeling in my drawing. I think sometimes what works in a painting doesn't necessarily work in a tonal drawing - but we all are entitled to our own thoughts and opinions! :) The world would be the poorer if we couldn't discuss! :D

Sharrm - many thanks for your lovely remarks! :D

stonewhiteclown
05-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Understandable! Also I bet in RL it looks way better than on my lame monitor :)

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Understandable! Also I bet in RL it looks way better than on my lame monitor :)

Ah Alex, nice of you to say so but there's no guarantee! ;) However, I think tones probably are better in RL because I find pencil work and pen & ink quite difficult to scan correctly.

xreader
05-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Hi Charlie's Mum. This is really delightful and shows a lot of patience and care. :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
05-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Wonderful drawing, Maureen! The scene looks drenched in sunlight! :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Wasn't expecting any more viewings here but delighted that you have both been so generous - thank you xreader and Lorna! :)

FriendCarol
05-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Wow! I remember wondering last week how you would finish this without losing all the larger white areas in the details -- this is great!

Most of my visual aesthetic response is to color; I hardly care about line at all (even when I was very young I used to skip right over the b&w drawings in books). But this is truly appealing; I could look at it for a long time and still find things to look at in it.

adamjw
05-23-2004, 12:03 AM
That's amazing!! It makes me want to go in and open the fence and explore.

stoney
05-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Managed to complete this this evening - hope it's OK to post a new thread for those who have already commented: for the first-time-lookers, there is another thread somewhere with the first stage of this. :)
B, 2B and 5B pencils on cartridge paper, approx 21x25cms -(8x10ins). About 5hrs in all. Think I'll call it a day, tho' I know it could do with a few more darks in, just to lift it on the L area near the steps - maybe when I've more time!!! :) Thanks for looking - feel free to comment if you wish! :)

Jaw drops-several times.

Precious Mazie
05-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I love this! Would you mind if I downloaded this image for my screensaver? :clap: