PDA

View Full Version : P.S. Great Western - WIP

BermudaArt
05-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi, first post in this forum but not to WC. I have been working on this for a couple of days, it's been a while since I tackled a marine subject, this has been in my mind for several years so I thought it might be time to try it. The color reproduction in the photo isn't perfect, but it's close.

Oils on canvas, 16 x 24 inches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2004/41631-MVC-081Fresize.jpg

I still have much to do yet, masts, ocean, sky .. okay, all of it!
C&C welcomed.
Thanks, Chris

LisaArt
05-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Great work here! Nice colours in the sky and movement. I would not touch your sky or your ocean. This is done for me. Just do masts ;)

laudesan
05-19-2004, 12:31 AM
I look forward to seeing where you go with this..:)

BermudaArt
05-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Lisa, thanks, I never know when to stop, that's always a challenge. That's why I put them aside sometimes and re-visit them later.

Judy, quote ""I look forward to seeing where you go with this.. "". The bank would be nice ! :D :D :D

Chris

laudesan
05-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Judy, quote ""I look forward to seeing where you go with this.. "". The bank would be nice ! :D :D :D Chris

:D :D

imlayte
05-19-2004, 10:26 AM
The sky makes me think that there is a fair amount of wind and the sea is responding. i.e. they go together nicely. It will be interesting to see what you do with the ship. Nice work and nice web site.

Howard

ripvanblair
05-20-2004, 05:08 AM
This looks Excellent, is this one of IK Brunell's paddlers?, one of his other paddlers laid the first trans-Atlantic telegraph cable. This looks as if there will be a touch of mal-de-mer around :( :confused: :rolleyes: , looks very good --------well done---------Alan

BermudaArt
05-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Howard, thanks for your comments,
Alan, thanks also for your comments. Yes, I think the cable was laid by the Great Eastern. I've been fascinated by Brunel's ships since by pure good luck I saw the rusted remains (hull) of the Great Britain being towed into Bristol in 1970, long before I started painting. She has since been restored although I haven't seen her in since 1970. (But I will one day).
I checked your page, great work there! Especially the railway paintings, I'm also a train nut, although my preference is for North American.
Chris

Marty C
05-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Chris,
Very good work so far with sea and sky, I'll be interested to see where you go with the ship as it looks great at this stage.

BermudaArt
05-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Finally, an update on this project, it's more or less finished now, phew, that rigging is always a lot of work.
Oils on Canvas, 16x24 inches.

C&C welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/41631-PSGW_600.jpg

Detail:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/41631-MVC-126F.jpg

Ohioan Artist
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Chris
That is one fine painting. You captured it all, as usual. :clap:
Now lets see the next one my friend. ;)
Iris

Jenoir
05-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Beautiful painting. So far all the water I have ever painted has been fairly calm. I would eventually like to attempt someting like this. Hopefully when I do it will translate as realistically as yours does. Good job.

laudesan
05-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Really beautiful Chris..:)

Marty C
05-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Chris
Great job, the rigging can be a pain but to get it right really makes the work. Well done.

imlayte
05-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Chris, this really came out great! What is your technique for applying those fine lines? They are so well done.

Howard

LisaArt
05-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi Chris, This turned out amazing. Great work. Love it

Gillette
05-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Chris
This is a superb painting, I love the additional colours,and the reflection of same in sea and sky, it's really come strongly to life.
As for the rigging......wow!!!!!
I love it
Jane.

BermudaArt
05-24-2004, 06:14 AM
Iris, Jenoir, Judy-Joy, thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Marty, thank you. And congrats on your promotion! :clap:

Howard, thank you also. I draw them freehand, very carefully and slowly, trying to keep the starting point and finishing point in sight, years of practice at technical drawing showing through I guess. (It always helps to have some sky color mixed and ready to go for those times I miss the mark.)

Lisa and Jane, thank you also.

I really enjoyed working on this, Between the tight work on the ship detail and the loose broad strokes for the sea, it was fun.

yogi
05-26-2004, 06:36 PM
That's what I was going to ask, too. How DO you get the rigging to look so realistic? I really like the colors you've used here. The purple in the sky to the left really catches my eye, then makes it want to go searching for similar colors in the smoke, boat, and waves...which you've done with a subtle grace that you've applied with a nice touch.

LisaArt
05-26-2004, 10:56 PM
OH wow, this turned out to be a beauty. Great work. Love that purple in the sky. Your details on the boat are just great. Thanks for the advice about the fine lines. I was also curious. :)

Moosehead
05-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Bermudaart. I thought I would search to see what you were up to, since you were the first to welcome me to WC.
Great painting. You've really captured the wind. The colours are terrific.
Aren't you Bermudians supposed to all be watercolourists?

BermudaArt
05-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks for your kind comments Yogi and Lisa. I have had this idea for several years just swimming around, and in and out of my head ... so when I started it I knew exactly what I wanted, it really makes a difference to be able to visualize exactly what you want .. somthing I cannot always get to do.

Moosehead, it's true that there are many watercolorists here, but some of us choose to be different ...hahaha.
Actually I have never tried watercolors, not sure how it would turn out, but I am having so much fun using oils, still learning after all these years, I can't see making a switch any time soon. So when do we get to see some of your work????

Alan Cross
05-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Good job Chris I really like what you did with the water....
Alan :)

Moosehead
05-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Chris I have posted a few of my (to use the term broadly) paintings in the critique forum and Acrylics forum. I am just learning, and my work is quite beginner level. But I am enjoying it, nonetheless. By the way, if I could paint like you have here, I would definitely keep working with oils.