PDA

View Full Version : html experts - recommend text editor?

timelady
09-16-2001, 10:13 AM
Okay all you experts out there! :) Can anyone recommend a nice basic text editor for editing html on PC? Firstly, let me tell you where I'm coming from:

I created my local gallery's webpage. I work in Dreamweaver. I can also edit html in SimpleText or Notepad or whatever. I am worried about other people at this point. The people working in the gallery have trouble figuring out how to enter a web address, so I want to make updating the webpages as easy as possible. What I would like to do is put comments in the html like Enter next month's artist here and Update exhibition dates here. Nice colour-coded instructions they can scroll through the text for.

So, an editor with no fancy bits, just lets me colour-code my html tags and comments. This site was originally created and edited (by someone else) in Microsoft which rendered it useless. I keep the site updated but making changes at 5 an hour while tending the gallery is not enough for me to want to go through someone else's mess again. :( And yes, it would be for PC (for those of you who know I work on a Mac).

Thanks,
Tina.

P.S. Haha. Made a mistake in my vB code and had to edit the post. Maybe I need this thing for myself! :D

Kevin M
09-16-2001, 07:19 PM
If you just want a text editor with html tag colour coding etc, Edit Plus is hard to beat. It is simple but very powerful. http://www.editplus.com/

Kevin

TPS
09-17-2001, 12:05 AM
Since you know html, I'd think you were aware of the comment tag which allows you to enter text for instructions. <*!-- Begin with and end with these tags; remove astericks
--*> Anything between the tags will show on your coded page, but will be hidden and not be seen in your executed page. This along with indenting or line spacing would isolate your instructions. Not sure this is what you need, but it seems to me it could do what you want.

timelady
09-17-2001, 06:08 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I know about the comment tag but don't trust that alone for these people. They're lovely people but clueless so I figure comments AND colored tags will help prevent them from deleting a bracket here or there. :) EditPlus looks really good, also going to check out Notepad Plus and Notetab...

Ta,
Tina.