PDA

View Full Version : fruity magazine table

DuncanBerenice
09-16-2001, 10:56 AM
This table was made for my in-laws and my wife decorated the table, I made so that she could put her knitting patterns or television magazines in the base. Unfortunately I'm not keen on the colour of yellow but that is what me in-laws wanted.

Again we wouldn't mind your thoughts

Many thanks

Duncan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2001/fruity_magazine_table.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paintinpat
09-16-2001, 11:57 PM
You know I wasn't ever very keen on yellow also...but this table is just too cute. Looks like a great little pattern from the past. Tell me, do you design your wood patterns or purchase them? There are several catalogs available here in the US and some have just great wood furniture patterns. Looks like both you and your wife have a great time on your hobby. That's what it is really all about, isn't it? Just loving what you are doing and doing what you love. Good luck on the next projects...
Pat

DuncanBerenice
09-17-2001, 09:49 AM
Thanks Pat,

I saw a small table in a magazine that I liked, and then I made it for the in-laws to fit the area that it was intended for.

Where I live in the UK, its expensive to get items shipped up. I tend to make things myself, and I get ideas from catalogues and I also buy the plans.

One place where I do get inspiration is from the New Yankee Workshop, as soon as we see Norm making something that we like then I'll put the idea around my head.

I recently made a cupboard for storing our hand towels which was based on something that Norm made, and once we've got that painted then I'll post it.

I am tempted to buy plans from the US, I'll maybe get some soon - see what the wife says lol.

Duncan

paintinpat
09-18-2001, 12:58 AM
Oh Duncan..I knew you were a friend. And then you mentioned the great one, "NORM"....my husband accuses me of being a "Norm" groupie..I guess I am. It is the funniest thing, when our little 7 year old grandson is visiting and good old "Norm" is on...he insists on watching it, a woodman in the making. If you email me your address I would be happy to mail you a couple of the current catalogs we get that we no longer use. We used to cut and make wood items to sell at our retail store before going into a wholesale business doing other items, so I still get some in the mail. Would be happy to send them as you could just look them over and draw up your own plans. My Email is:
craftworks@eiis.net

Pat

tammy
09-19-2001, 12:41 AM
I like it. I wish I could see the pattern on the top better.

DuncanBerenice
09-19-2001, 04:24 PM
hi Tammy,

I looked through my photographs and found this one, and its a better view of the table top. This is our first attempt, the other items posted came after this one.

We're doing a home study course in drawing and painting to help improve our skills in the hope that we could do better.

Duncan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2001/fruity_table_top.jpg

tammy
09-19-2001, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by DuncanBerenice
hi Tammy,

We're doing a home study course in drawing and painting to help improve our skills in the hope that we could do better.

Duncan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2001/fruity_table_top.jpg

Well, I think it looks very professional. Thanks for showing me another photo.

DuncanBerenice
09-19-2001, 05:10 PM
thanks Tammy

we've really enjoyed making and painting the items, we we've decided to have a go at making more for crafts fairs to see how things go

Duncan

TeAnne
09-25-2001, 09:08 PM
I'm glad you posted a bigger pic, this is gorgeous. Even the yellow. :D

Leaflin
09-26-2001, 02:57 PM
I really like this Duncan.
The yellow is quite an eyecatcher.

leesmith
09-26-2001, 11:43 PM
Yellow is one of my favorite colors!

This is beautiful and I agree with Tammy, it looks very professional.

DuncanBerenice
09-28-2001, 10:51 AM
thanks Teanne, leaflin and lee

it's great about all the encouragement we're getting, we're glad to see other people's work too. I'm going to start making paint effect panels to get some practice in and maybe hopefully show them at craft fairs in the hope of getting comissions. What I'll be able to do is use the panels to see if it would work for a particular project or not.

with all the encoragement we're getting its also helping me to think on more ideas to make, i'm getting ideas of a jewelry box and a decorative chair to make so i'll need to get out my drawing gear and get started. we're aiming for some craft fairs next summer as my wife is expecting our fourth child in December so going to craft fairs is out. We'll build up a stock to sell instead.

Duncan

leesmith
09-28-2001, 11:39 AM
Duncan,

Congrats to you and your wife on the "fourth" coming baby! That is wonderful!

I agree that seeing others work and being able to talk about and show our projects is inspiring. My production output has dramatically improved since I joined Wet Canvas. That is amazing, especially since I spend so much time here in the forums!

:D

DuncanBerenice
09-28-2001, 11:54 AM
thanks lee

one of my aims was to post our pictures in the hope that it would help with my wife's confidence and it has certainly helped, she wanted to study art at school but her parents said that there was no future in art and you'll never make a living out of it - of course I disagree there's plenty of opportunities out there

she's finding the confidence every day and when she reads the forums in wetcanvas and with doing a home study course in drawing and painting is helping with her drawing as well, she's starting to look outside with a different view which is a good start.

her mum and dad thought that I painted the table and they had a look of shock when they were told that my wife did it, I made it and my wife painted it

Duncan