PDA

View Full Version : Palette Knife View from Caterpillar Hill

Laura Tasheiko
05-17-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm trying my hand with a palatte knife. This is 20"x30 on stretched canvas, and took me about 2 hours!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2004/6031-CatHillAc.jpg
Difference is radical, I think, and very freeing compared to brush on large canvas. The one below took quite a bit longer.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2004/6031-BeechHillBlueberriesAc.jpg

Comments appreciated. L :)

Bertoni
05-17-2004, 04:47 PM
I like your palette knife work a lot! I've been trying out the knives with acrylics and it's fun!
Your second painting has a wonderful style going in the way you use color etc! It's a winner!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

scotchpie
05-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi

I like these a lot. I've never thought of using the palette knife with acrylics butmay give it a go now I have seen these. They're wonderful.

Andrew

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 05:25 PM
The first one done with knife is very expressive to me - has a sense of urgency in it, that may sound odd since it is a landscape but that is the feeling I get.

The second one done with brush is beautiful no doubt but the first one makes me look longer.

Laura Tasheiko
05-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Thank you all for looking and for your comments. Interesting that the knife painting holds attention longer. It may be that the brushed landscape is a more complete statement and doesn't leave the viewer with much to fill in themselves, as the quicker palette knife application does. L :)

surreal
05-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Laura,
I love the piece you worked on with your palette knife.
It's a very cool abstract piece!
It works extremely well and is very dynamic!!!
:clap:

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi Check out mjt and his abstract landscapes your pallette knife one is very similar to some in his style.
I like them both the first for the chaos of it all and randomness and the second for its bright bold use of colour and also its total opposite - tidiness. If this makes any sense? I know what I mean :D
I would say go with the pallette knife if you can do this in 2 hours :clap:
Christine

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Thank you all for looking and for your comments. Interesting that the knife painting holds attention longer. It may be that the brushed landscape is a more complete statement and doesn't leave the viewer with much to fill in themselves, as the quicker palette knife application does. L :)
Probably so. :) Both are fantastic.

Godzoned
05-18-2004, 12:51 AM
I love the way you captured the light in the foreground of the second painting and the detail and colour of the flowers.

The first painting is a nice moody painting. Maybe it was the colours you used. Loved the dancing effect of the pallete knife "strokes" you used.