PDA

View Full Version : "Contemplation"

ShellyF
05-17-2004, 12:24 AM
I took the reference photo for this guy a long time ago, and it's been in that "to do" pile until the other day when I was suddenly inspired to paint him. He just seemed so thoughtful, that what inspired me.

Acrylic on masonite. Still working on it a bit, doing some tweaking here and there (for example, I need to work on the bottom left corner some more), so comments and critiques are very welcome. Oh and it seems to have scanned a bit darker that it is in RL.

surreal
05-17-2004, 01:47 AM
I like your painting.

He looks as though he is lost in thought!
:)

artistodon
05-17-2004, 03:20 AM
i don't know how you could improve on this any more. It looks great to me. I love your light highlights, and the hair. Very nice!
Don :)

PthaloBlueGirl
05-17-2004, 05:19 AM
Love the realism! Can we get a bit more information on how you did the 'shading' or 'coloring', whatever the right term is, on the skin? Especially the hand and 'shoulder' areas. The only thing not looking as real as the rest of him at first glance is the ear.

Really cool!

What's the color pallete?

:D

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 07:00 AM
:clap:
I'm loving it - the way you have got the 'suedey texture' to the skin makes you want to reach out and stroke him.
Balance is just right so much so it looks almost like a photo - I'm so jealous. ;)
Christine

MonicaB
05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Yes, he's contemplating getting a new barber. :D Just kidding -- This is simply wonderful.

ShellyF
05-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Thank you Nina, Don, Christine and Monica :)

Love the realism! Can we get a bit more information on how you did the 'shading' or 'coloring', whatever the right term is, on the skin? Especially the hand and 'shoulder' areas. The only thing not looking as real as the rest of him at first glance is the ear. Really cool!

What's the color pallete?

PthaloBlueGirl: Thank you! Yes, the ear is what I had the most trouble with, I will have to go take another look.

My colour paletter was very limited: Ultramarine blue, Burnt sienna, white, a bit of burnt umber and sometimes a teeny tiny bit of black for the really dark areas, but mostly mixed my darks with the colours I mentioned. The backround is sap green and crimson red, sometimes a bit of b. umber and/or white

I started with an underpainting, which I always do, (I learnt that while working with coloured pencil, and just kept it up). My underpainting was burnt sienna with a touch of ultramarine. Then I just continued on layer colours as I saw them in the reference. I guess that's not very informative LOL! But I'm not sure how to explain how I achieved the colouring of the skin. I just continue to work back and forth from the lights and darks, working all over the painting, until I am satisfied.

Moosehead
05-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Incredible! Love those big Orangutan eyelids.

Alison Jardine
05-17-2004, 11:04 AM
I took the reference photo for this guy a long time ago, and it's been in that "to do" pile until the other day when I was suddenly inspired to paint him. He just seemed so thoughtful, that what inspired me.

Acrylic on masonite. Still working on it a bit, doing some tweaking here and there (for example, I need to work on the bottom left corner some more), so comments and critiques are very welcome. Oh and it seems to have scanned a bit darker that it is in RL.

this is a really great painting .. I like the way the texture of the back of the neck matches the texture of your green background, diagonally opposite; and this in turn matched the more "focussed" depiction of the alert little eye.

You've really captured the essence of the orangutan here; great pose to choose, great technique!

:clap:

Ali

ShellyF
05-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Thank you Ali and Jon :)

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Magic. :clap:

Carguy
05-17-2004, 06:43 PM
:clap: :clap: I agree. Absolutely wonderful!!!

ShellyF
05-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Thank you Angie and Carguy.

dannyd
05-18-2004, 04:48 AM
I love the light under the chin. sets it off for me. great painting.
danny