PDA

View Full Version : Lit Street

Moosehead
05-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi. I also posted this in the open critique forum. Thanks, all.
GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lit Street and..
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These are two of my earliest paintings. The snowboarder is Acrylic on canvas 11 x 14. I realize they are beginner quality, but I find the comments and critiques valuable for learning. My next posts should hopefully be after I have had some formal instruction. Thanks.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments, critiques for a beginner?

terriv
05-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi. I think if you get any book that shows how to draw lines for perspective and practice it once or twice, it will greatly improve your buildings such as alignment of windows. A great one that I read (older, illustrations but not many photos) that make it EASY was called "How to Paint" by John Mills. I bet you could pick this up on ebay or ABE very very cheaply. By drawing only 2 lines, all your windows would have been alighted (if that was your goal).

But a fine point I see in the painting is the magical quality you have managed to achieve. I see it in the lights, in the trees, and in the way the light falls on the street. I like it.

Moosehead
05-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks Terry. Since that painting, I have read the articles on perspective her on WC! Very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time.

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Omg - please do Not take offense at this but your snow boarder looks almost like a bear...how whimiscal would that be?! I dare you :D , just a few changes and it would be there.

Moosehead
05-17-2004, 09:05 PM
A snowbearder, as it where.

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 09:08 PM
A snowbearder, as it where.
:D I am so happy you have a sense of humor! I worried a little after I posted that.... I do think you have great ideas and I love the nite scene.

HRH Goldie
05-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Pastel Mama you make me laugh! No wonder you are an artist! Seeing things that others don't. :) I'm loving it.
I like the naivity of the first painting and it is very sort of Van Gogh in its initial perspective (only different colour pallette). I like it and it is atmospheric.
Don't change it - I think you will cherish this later on. ;)
Christine