PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lake

Moosehead
05-16-2004, 07:01 PM
This is cross posted from the critique forum.
GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mountain lake
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Inspired by a photo I took on a hike at the top of Whistler mountain in British Columbia. The lake was like a mirror. As some of you know I am a beginning painter, and I am definitely taking lessons soon.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments/ critiques would be welcome-I find these to be a valuable learning tool.

I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms from the statues
that are in all the other museums. -- Steven Wright

terriv
05-16-2004, 10:14 PM
No critique, but I thought you might also enjoy one of my favorite photos on the web.
http://wpni01.auroraquanta.com/pv/ozarks?sess_id=&img=2095

I love this whole "tour" actually.

blumoon
05-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi. Nice beginnings. You mentioned you are a beginning painter, so I thought I'd offer a couple of suggestions. I am wondering if the shadows and water could be a bit darker?

cunparis
05-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Any comments/ critiques would be welcome-I find these to be a valuable learning tool.

I think you're off to a great start. My only suggestion is to differentiate the water from the mountains a bit. Water is often "like a mirror" but usually the reflections are just a tad bit lighter or darker in value. Lights tend to be darker and darks tend to be lighter. Check out this lesson:

Sovek's Lesson #28 - Reflections (http://www.sovek.com/view/basics/color/09.htm)

Hope that helps.
-Michael

Moosehead
05-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks Michael for the Tips, and the link. There are a million things to learn, but if you're like me, thats a plus not a minus.

BRIDGES
05-17-2004, 11:59 AM
This is what i would do,so take it for what it's worth you might try another. The reflections should be dulled a bit -softened, and squiggled a bit as in water....irregular lines..also not quite as tall. (the trees) also mts not quite as tall in water they are back a way..A tad bit color in sky and water and then lots color on the rocks. Fool around with it and learn ,only way. nice view and nice subject..Ever try a knife work??

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 05:34 PM
You have received some good advice and I just want to say hello and keep up the good work.