PDA

View Full Version : last watercolor dog portrait W.I.P.由EACTIVATED

cyrillejubert
05-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi my friends ... I have been painting a lot all these last monthes new dogs portraits, so I did not have time to come here and share your warm friendship. No-one took your place in my heart... I am back.

As you know, I don't know how to make the stories short, so prepare a big tea-pot and make yourself confortable.. anyway, like in a russian orthodoxe chapel you can go in and out in the middle of the service :D

To answer lately to Mchew's poll, I started to paint at the age of 42. As I am a taurus, I decided to be a professionnal painter before to touch my first paint brush ...that was in october 96.

At my very first Art exhibition, the elder artists told me stories about a famous collector who used to come at the opening of the Paris Country Show, to buy the best paintings. He used to buy a lot. One of my friends who used to hunt with him, proposed to introduce me to this collector if I give her 15% of all the business I would do with him."No thanks", I answered, "the day this man will see my paintings, he will become my best client".
He did not come at my first show in 1997, not even at the second one, one year later. When I exhibited my very first dog painting in 99, a man spent a long time looking at my dog portraits, and then told me:
"it is too bad, I just gave a commission for the portrait of my dog to one of your fellow artists, 10 minutes ago. Next time, I shall choose you." When he signed my guest-book, I knew I had won my bet and the Collector was one of my fan. Alain D. became soon a good client and finally asked me to paint his favourite springer.

When Alain prepares his luggages to go shooting, his springer "Sweep" uses to lie among them, his head resting on the gun's bag. So the springer is sure to go with his master to the shooting party. Alain, who had springers all his life, never saw any other dog with this position. So, he wanted his pet painted like that. It was his only request. Beside of that, like a real art collector, used to deal with artists, he gave me a free hand.
In each of my previous "dog paintings", I tryed to show an interesting armchair in the stage. It allows me to hang clothes on the arm, to put objects on the sit, and gives a vertical dimension, while enriching the scenery. A few weeks before, I met an antics merchant, who had a pair of armchairs made with deer and buck horns coming from Central Europe. They were very interesting, perfect for a sporting painting and a wink to Alain, who is one of the most conspicuous huntsman in France. So I borrowed one of the armchairs and brought it to Alain's house in the forest of Compiegne, to take a few photos. Here is this curious armchair. The seating and the back are covered with buck fur.
Kitschissime, is not it ? :D
but original and fun to paint !

cyrillejubert
05-16-2004, 05:40 PM
... still there ? :D
... some more tea ? coffee ? mee ?

As the room was very dark, my photos without a flash were horrible but those with a flash were worse. I had to come back on a sunny day to take photos of the dog and the bag outside in the sunshine. I came a saturday afternoon. Alain had played golf in the morning, with his springer. The dog was so tired, that I had a very hard time to take a single photo with an open eye.
So, dear fan, who intends to give me a commission soon, never let your dog play golf when I am on the road to take photos of him.

Great photo, is not it ?
But far to be perfect for me. While taking the snapshot, I did not noticed that the cap was so, hiding Alain's hunting "tiepin" and his sporting club badges.
The gunbag did not have the same position that on the above photo and the dog's body could not match either in the previous stage.

It gave me headaches for days trying to match all these details in a drawing.

*While you are here, have a closer look to the grain of the grained calf leather.

cyrillejubert
05-16-2004, 06:09 PM
When I started this painting, I had a great contact with an american agent who launched an hyper realist wildlife painter who is now a super-star. She visited my exhibition in Brussels, looking at my paintings with a sharp professional eye. On one of the picture, she found a default on the back leg of one of the six dogs. I decided to paint this picture specially for her eyes, giving the best of my know-how, so she could not say anything else than "Bravo".

Here is the start of the painting.
I started with the gun bag, because the drawing had been so crazy, with so tiny details, that I was afraid that the graphite could rub out, while I was painting the upper part of the picture.

I paint on Arches Hot pressed and the size is 22" x 30"
The paper is damped in a bath, then stretched on my desk.

As you can see on the right of the picture, I painted first a very light cobalt blue "layer" that will be the light reflection on the leather.
and a ochre+ sienna burnt layer where the light will be less strong.
I tryed at the beginning to give a first volume effect...

Then, I started to draw the octogonal grains with my paint-brush (3/00)

well ! that was allready a long talk ... your tea-pot is cold now and it is time for Cinderella to go to sleep ... Perhap's shall have the pleasure to see you tomorow ?
So long friends

cyrillejubert
05-16-2004, 06:12 PM
I forgot to post the photo ...
Pfffftttt !!
It must be because of my age... I am not yet used to it :D

Europa
05-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Welcome back Cyril - well I for one am fascinated - not only with your wonderful narrative but also how you are going to paint this picture - I sit back here with my chocolate (I always have to have chocolate....lol) and watch in awe.

Pat

M.A.
05-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm going to go brew another pot.

tigre255
05-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Oh my Cyril, you are my hero when it comes to dog painting.....I only wish I could be this good. Will sit back and wait for the rest with interest. ;)

NodakerDeb
05-16-2004, 08:03 PM
You have barely started and I am bowled over!! WOW!!!

I'm bookmarking this thread!

Pass the chocolate Pat !!

Deb

Mary Smith
05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
I can't believe you painted each of those tiny octagons/circles, whatever for the look of the leather grain. Holy cow!!!! That is what it takes to be super-realistic???

Uschi
05-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Joy oh Joy, Cyril is painting another masterpiece and we are invited to watch!!!! and no entrance fee!! WOW :clap: :clap:
Uschi

laudesan
05-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Joy oh Joy, Cyril is painting another masterpiece and we are invited to watch!!!! and no entrance fee!! WOW :clap: :clap:
Uschi

Oh YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yorky
05-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Good to watch a master at work again, Cyrille.

Your eye for detail and the correct setting always impress me.

Doug

artmom
05-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Cyrille, mon ami! Welcome back. I have missed you. :)

I have my pot of tea, and some petit fours. I'm here for the long haul!

Lyn

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 04:46 AM
I Love you
How could I have been working so many monthes without being each evening among you ? In fact, I came very often but I was lost with these new page settings.. I had a very hard time to find how to start a new thread..
That is my dummy 's side :D
Hey Pat... I am suppose to get a commission by someone who want to be recognize in the world as the HERMES of chocolate (Hermes is supposed to be the best saddler in the world, their bags, luggages and scarfs are very famous)... It could be a very interesting painting.. I have first to draw his dog's portrait.. but it is another story. Let's come back to my bag.

Mary, you cannot imagine the number of layers for each of these tiny little "octogonal circles" (that is interesting in geometry ! :D .. hum ?!! I am just kidding nothing mean... interesting indeed !) On each one of these octogonal squares :p I tryed to get the right light and give its volume and matter. But I had fun doing it.. the same pleasure that for my "18.000 dew drops on the spider web" if you remember it. I knew that this object in the painting could not be just amazing.
I used a bit of "light red" from W&N and I hated it... this pigment is too thick and dissolves itself not as well as the other watercolor colors.. yark ..

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 04:59 AM
.. Like a soap opera, i cut the story to let my sponsor insert his advertisings
My chocolate Maecenas is Marcolini .. :confused: .. ? me too !
I am sure that my painting will lauch them worldwide :D

I painted the copper (what the name ?) for the pleasure of my eyes, while working and working ... on these grains .. and to have an other color and matter beside the leather.. on the other side, in watercolor, to paint over and over on the same place, the previous layer must be VERY dry.

painterbear
05-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Hello Cyrille,

It is so good to see not only a painting of yours, but a WIP! So glad Lyn is here with the tea cart and Pat with her chocolates (hope to get her to share). ;)

Your leather bag is already masterful. I think you are talking about the copper buckle as a relief for your painting all the little "octagonal circles" ;) .

You are a man of infinite patience. I do remember your wonderful Spiderweb with all the dew drops sparkling on it. How can you forget a painting like that?????

We saw a chair similar to the one you show here, but it was made of horns from cattle at the Charles Goodnight Museum in Palo Duro Canyon, Texas, many years ago. It was interesting to see, but not one I wanted to sit in.

Thanks for doing this as a WIP, and welcome back.

Sylvia

laudesan
05-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Oh Cyrille I didn't see your spiderweb..:crying:

Can you post a link here for me, it sounds like it was something not to be missed!!

None of your work should be missed tho' you truly are a Master!!

madmum
05-17-2004, 05:44 AM
Welcome home Cyrille!

What a treat for us to be able to keep you company through your WIP :clap: I am always in awe of your patience and amazing control. :)

JJ, here is Cyrille's spiderweb (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93434) :)

Ruth

laudesan
05-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Thank you Ruth.

WOWeeeeeeeee!!!

I am in total AWE!!!!!!!!!!

Europa
05-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Am STUNNED by that spiders web - such patience - I could learn a lot from that (not known for my patience...lol). I sit in awe at your talent.

Pat

yahooserious
05-17-2004, 08:31 AM
I simply must keep up with this one...Cyrille, you are unbelievaly patient....

Emilie

I'll bring dark chocolate truffles!! :D

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 08:56 AM
The real patience is to write a whole page, attach an image, submit it
and discover that the page desappeared in the cosmos ... GRRR

Thanks Sylvia for the "copper buckle".. my english did not improve this winter, and if Ruth come to visit me at the Game Fair in Blenheim Palace in july, she will discover my terrible accent .. :D I shall perhaps submit at the 21st century watercolour contest of The Royal Watercolour Society in London..
I want to present there my "spider web" ... not such a bad idea :rolleyes:

Coming back to the bag ...
I added layer after layer till the perfection of light and volume of each one of these funny "octogonal circles"... and then I did a very fearfull thing I hate to do, but I don't know a better way to reach my aim.
I prepared a dark "juice", mixing burnt sienna, a bit of alizarin (to get darker), indigo and ochre...
I layed delicately water on the whole bag, not to have problem on the edge of the water. Then when the water had dryed a bit and is just a thin film, i added my juice on the darker part of the bag, and tryed to unify the whole object with more or less juice in my paint-brush.
When the whole painting is dry.. the edges of the grains are no more as sharp as it should be for a hyper reaslistic object in the foreground... so, I draw them again, just the deepest line around each of them with my smallest paint-brush.
Crazy ! is not it ?
Well !! the result deserves it.

Dahzl
05-17-2004, 09:02 AM
:clap: :clap: Oooooo ! and Yummeeeeeeee ! Our Monsieur Cyrille with a Beautiful new Wip and wonderful story [ and chocolato truffles ? :D yes please !]

Ahh Cyrille tis lovely to see you here again !!

I am very much looking forward to the next installment so shall return with perhaps a glass of Champagne ? I have heard that is also goes well with a nice selection of Belgian Chocolates does it not? :D

Dahzl :angel: :D

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 09:06 AM
That was the left side of the bag ... I painted also the right side
Oh Yes !! I did !!
No Bob ! :D I did not paint the back of the paper ... nor the hiden face of the moon ... :evil: You have really silly question !
( ;) blink to Princesse Dazzl !)
The other side of the bag is less in the main light stream, on this photo it seems very dark brown .. but it is a scan effect I think.

Here it is ... It took 15 days to paint that bag... without naps in the afternoon ... and without playing on wetcanvas either ;)

laudesan
05-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Crazy ! is not it ?
Well !! the result deserves it.

Maybe crazy, but result is definitely worth it!!!!!!! :clap:

tigre255
05-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Am still watching and taking notes.......just love your work (oh i've said that....hehehhe) well it is said again...... :o ;)

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Is not it extra ordinary ... I made a blink to my sweetheart Dahzl who have not been on WC for weeks or monthes ...
and in the same time, with her magic wand , she arrives from Australia ...
That is love ! :p
Hey you Ossie ! you troubled me so much .. is not she cute ! ... that I missed my attachment ..
here it is !

painterbear
05-17-2004, 09:25 AM
What, Cyrille, you didn't just whip this out in 30 or 40 minutes like some people do???? :evil: :rolleyes:

Your "juice" overwash really blended the "octagonal circles" into a much more realistic leather texture.

This is so interesting watching you you have my Mentor vote today for sure plus a rating for the thread since you take the time to explain what you are doing with your washes.

Merci beaucoup (believe me, your English is better than my French, LOL!).

Sylvia

Dahzl
05-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Ooops ! :confused: :D so sorry to distract you sweety :D Ahh ... but it is looking Great ! Excellento ! Bellissmo ! Bravo ! So much work and so much patience ! :clap: :clap:

:angel:

bluegenes
05-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Cyril, I'm kinda new here, so I haven't seen any of your work before, and I must say it is TRES MAGNIFIQUE!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:
Patty
(I'm so glad I'm on vacation this week, so I can watch! Someone pass the chocolate, and did someone say champagne????? :D )

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 01:41 PM
What do I have in store ?
Do you want a cap ... a cup also ?
Sylvia .. I saw such a sofa made with long-horn horns .. I imagined a painting with a huge dog, like a ? danish or Bordeaux Mastiff .. lying on it
I sitted on the deer armchair .. it was not confortable at all. Trop raide ..

The cap .. I had a hard time to find a photo that match with the bag and the dog, showing the badges ... i had to create a bit .. It wass very difficult for three reasons .. "broken check" alone is not easy to draw.. "tweed" is not either ...and create the folds make it harder.

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 02:21 PM
To be hyper realist in painting, I need a great photo ...
I did not have any ... but I knew that the tweed itself will be hidden by the "hunting tie pin" and the "club badges" ... and draw attention.

The sculpture of the tie-pin was not readable, but I had painted it 4 years ago... so I did it by ? rememberance ? ..
The first badge was readable, but I changed the text engraved
it was "Club des Cent" (the hundred's club)
I changed it for "Cyrille Jubert's Fan"

I sell them at my shop in the souk... ask my friend Iznogood
He will give you a good price :D

I did not know if my client will share this humour... he did

tigre255
05-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Am still watching and still being amazed at your detail......

Happy to annouce that your link and banner are now residing on my website as one of my favorite sites.....

This is coming together so wonderfully. You have the patiance (hope i spelled that right) of a saint.

Uschi
05-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Cyril I am completely hynoticed by the beauty of your painting!! Thank God for your cute storytelling to bring me back ionto reality :D
Uschi

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 05:01 PM
If the calf grained bag was a huge amount of work rather far from your usual watercolor technique, this of the picture will seam more familiar too you.

I had first to draw with my smallest paint-brush the thread of the needle work, trying to give a little volume to this thread :p I should have better glasses ... then, I paint the dark shadow of the thread on the leather.
This small dark line around the yellow thread should also stop the water when I 'll damp all the surface that will become leather.

To paint it, I used burnt sienna, with very few ochre and indigo...
Why ? For two reasons
1ー ) If you cut your primary colour with the complemetary ones you will use else where, you will be sure that your colour will never hurt themselves and you will never do any taste error. I never use a raw colour.

2ー) The watercolor magic is the chimical reaction between different pigments mixing them or staying side to side giving a kind of "impressionist" effect.

I am very happy of the next images for that.. enjoy them

lorna12
05-17-2004, 05:04 PM
I am in awe of your work!! I had a look a the Spider's web and was dumbstruck....I think this will surpass it though. I really admire your attention to detail and love the touch of humor (the badge). I can't wait for an update (guess I don't have your patience ;) )

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 05:14 PM
I cannot resist to show you this image
Here you see the magic of WC... the mix between indigo and burnt sienna in different density, showing the patina of this leather which has been waxed many times and used a lot.
I love this detail...
I am not sure that anyone can master totally what pigments will do... you just try to controll them tight...
I agree that I am wrong sometimes to try controll them too tight..
the limit is tiny

cyrillejubert
05-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Hi Lorna
I visited your website... I have never seen a scratchboard in real life, but seeing your work I know that you knows very well what "patience" means.
I Love your graphite drawing of the small girl. The curled hair is munificent ! and I know very well what graphite drawing is...

On these spanish boots you have a smooth and polished part while the rest of the leather is real rough. I think it is called crust. ?
It has been fun to try to show that difference.. I forgot how I did it :p
It is the age ! A week ago my kids had organised a surprise birthday for my 50
Tell me "it is not possible, you look so young !" :angel:
:evil: "I am young ! 50 is the strength of the age"
:cool: I am young because I have so many projects that the next 50 years will be too short to lead them all to their accomplishment :D

here is the whole boot

bluegenes
05-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm shaking my head in amazement!
No, you are not old!!! :D 50 is still very young.....I should hope so, as I'll be there in just 3 short years!!!
Patty

laudesan
05-17-2004, 08:34 PM
And i got there 1 year ago..:)

WOW Cyrille you HAVE been busy, I am thinking it is a vrime I have to sleep and miss this beautiful progress..

canvasjockey
05-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Cyril - WOW! I saw your post about this in the Animals & Wildlife forum and felt like a dog following somebody dangling a steak! Just click and scroll, and enjoy the delicious treat!

The detail you acheive is unreal (or I guess I should say extra-real, or maybe hyper-real would be more adequate ;) ). I tend to focus on more detail in my watercolors than may be average, but you are the master! I love the leather, and that cap - it's a real trick to capture textures like that! Now I'm actually excited to work on the bridle buckles and other tack on my horses! The saddles will no longer be an afterthought!

Thanks for the informative and inspiring post!

Carole

lorna12
05-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Love the boots!! Did you 'save' the thread stitches while painting the brown...like the water droplets on the spider's web? I really like all the variations of browns and will remember your recipe. ...er....maybe I better write it down...afterall I have been 50 for a few years now. Happy belated birthday...and NO you aren't old....if you were, I'd be older and I'm definitley NOT! :D

Thankyou for your kind comments about my website. I have visited your many times to enjoy your wonderful work.

cyrillejubert
05-18-2004, 03:56 AM
Cyril - it's a real trick to capture textures like that! Now I'm actually excited to work on the bridle buckles and other tack on my horses! The saddles will no longer be an afterthought!

Thanks for the informative and inspiring post!
Carole

Thanks Carole
I don't paint horses ... I know I could not been on the podium :D
because I don't know them and I don't know how to take great photos

That is a special message for you.. Next time, you shall take photos of a horse you have to paint on commission, when pressing the button, you know that you 've got the great photo... don't move your feet, and click again focusing on the bride buckles and again on the saddle... on a very sharp and tiny detail like the thread ... It needs a very good camera.. with a great lens

for the eye, you allready know that you have to look at the horse eye to eye closely... no camera will give you what your own eye can see
x

Thanks to each one of you... You help me a lot giving me a new confidence that l lack beeing alone with my work and my doubts... The great test should be to be accepted at the UK 's Royal Watercolour Society ...
:( I have been very frustrated no to get any price in the Belgium watercolour contest :evil: I am too far of what the they teach in watercolour lessons...
I shall try to write new pages of the WIP at the end of the day
Cheers
C.

artmom
05-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Happy belated birthday, Cyrille! Your are a mere child from my point of view! :D I am rating this thread 5 stars--I wish it could be more!!!

Many times I don't like super-realistic style painting--when it looks like a photograph. Your paintings have so much artistry that there is no doubt that it looks real, but that it is a superb painting!

Lyn

cyrillejubert
05-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Here is the second leather boot.
Same work on the needlework... and a lazy loose and fun work in damp watercolor for the smooth waxed side of the leather. That was resting and quick... just happiness !

Pleasure because you have a lot of light and a very deep and strong contrast with the shadow on the same object

cyrillejubert
05-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Here is the same boot later on ...

It is the same work than on the first one
I used one reply by image to help those who don't have the chance to use internet with ADSL or Cable

cyrillejubert
05-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Just a larger view where you can see the gunbag, the cap and the boots together

cyrillejubert
05-18-2004, 02:19 PM
I cheat a bit and show you the same details a few weeks after
With a coloured background, matters and light interact and relativise (if this word exists ? ) what you see.
I rub out the right corner..
:D so it is not necessary to go on banging on your damn machine...

I have a dinner tonight so no more chatting today... and I drive away for 3 days tomorrow for an art show... The end of the story next week
Have a great week-end

Gilberte
05-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Mon Dieu Cyrille ... :eek: when you show up you do it wit beaucoup d'allure !
This is an absolutely gorgeous, magnificent, fantastic, sublime, elegant, impressive, sumptuous, exceptional demo (like the man himself :D ) of what one can do with watercolors. Unbelievable and as they say in France "impossible n'est pas Fran軋is". Your 5Oth birthday becomes you, verbally and artistically, enjoy your dinner tonight, have a drink on me (no coffee or tea, but something more serious) and enjoy the long week-end we all have over here.
Me too I'm going to give this thread five stars ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

P.S. Saw a British film last night with Nigel Havers and thought of you because he looks as if he's your twin brother !

Ever so sweet of Dazhl to drop in ... keeping an eye on the two of you however

genna
05-18-2004, 04:40 PM
This is an absolutely gorgeous, magnificent, fantastic, sublime, elegant, impressive, sumptuous, exceptional demo (like the man himself :D ) of what one can do with watercolors. Unbelievable and as they say in France "impossible n'est pas Fran軋is". Your 5Oth birthday becomes you, verbally and artistically, enjoy your dinner tonight, have a drink on me (no coffee or tea, but something more serious) and enjoy the long week-end we all have over here.
Me too I'm going to give this thread five stars ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ever so sweet of Dazhl to drop in ... keeping an eye on the two of you however

You have to be kidding! This is beyond amazing!!! What Gilberte said X10!

Europa
05-18-2004, 05:53 PM
SPEECHLESS!!! STUNNED!!! AMAZED!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat

aquarius
05-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Finally took some time to read this thread, and I am happy I did !
I am lost with words.....speechless, can't believe my eyes !
Also saw your dewdrops.......again, speechless !!
You are a true artist in the full meaning of the word.
This is magic !!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

.........et Cyrille, bonne anniversaire ! La vie commence 50 :evil:

Carola

FriendCarol
05-18-2004, 06:49 PM
C'est magnifique!

Au revoir, apres petit jours, j'espoir. (Je ne parle pas le francais dupuis trop d'annees!)

Cathie Jones
05-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I didn't find this until today. I think GOBSMACKED is the word I'd use! Wonderfully realistic, the kind of painting you can stare at for hours!

It will be difficult to wait for the next steps! :clap:

laudesan
05-18-2004, 07:26 PM
I didn't find this until today. I think GOBSMACKED is the word I'd use! Wonderfully realistic, the kind of painting you can stare at for hours!

It will be difficult to wait for the next steps! :clap:

I agree Cathie......we can tap our toes, and bite our nails together........

Oooooooh the anticipation..:)

CharM
05-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Cyrille... what a wonderfully entertaining journey you have created in your thread... Your beautiful painting speaks for itself and I look forward to the next installments...

Georgi
05-18-2004, 09:52 PM
There is nothing left for me to say, Cyrille...everything has been said by those who have posted before me! :)

I can't speak, anyway...my mouth is still open in amazement from your 'spiderweb" painting...and now this! You are an inspiration and I'm so glad I'm fortunate in viewing some of your creations. :)

Thank you,
Lee

Georgi
05-18-2004, 10:00 PM
By the way, Cyrille...I also love your narrative...and am so pleased to meet you. :)

I'm totally fascinated...what a pity you don't live next door on the neighbouring property...I would have a path beaten to your door...and that's not normal for me, as I keep to myself and love my own space and privacy...but you have so much to teach, and I, so much to learn and appreciate.

I reiterate...thank you for sharing with us, your brilliant talent and your alert mind.

Lee :)

Strawberry Wine
05-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Welcome back Cyrille: You have been missed and I picked the right night to come out of lurkdom. :) I am in awe of your control of the medium and your infinite patience. Love your story leading up to the commision.

Will be watching this one unfold. Thank you for posting this as a WIP.

Cheers,

Gail

binks
05-19-2004, 05:15 AM
There's really nothing more to be said than has been said already. I feel privaledged to be bale to watch this painting develop.
Thankyou

ptantono
05-19-2004, 05:51 AM
I am fainted looking of your details. :D Too perfect, just too perfect.

cyrillejubert
05-19-2004, 06:15 AM
This is an absolutely gorgeous, magnificent, fantastic, sublime, elegant, impressive, sumptuous, exceptional demo (like the man himself :D ) of what one can do with watercolors. five stars ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nigel Havers ... your twin brother !

:rolleyes: be simple with me Gilberte ... what would you like to sak me ?
I suppose it is enormous ! :D
have a drink on me (no coffee or tea, but something more serious)

I had whisky and a very good old Bordeaux wine and a delicious dinner
but it is very hard this morning to keep the eye open, pack my paintings and load them in my Car.. THANK YOU Gilberte with your bad ideas ! :evil:
:D Glad to see you here !

... instead of Bordeaux, I should have tryed Strawberry wine
Hi Gail ! I am drinking your words ... and feel dizzy :p

Genna !?? ... x10 !! you are cheating !!
some here have the grace to teach me new adjectives in the dithyramb, and I thank them... I learn a lot and improve my english ... but "x10" that is really lazy ... try again :D

about my terrible english, i can write more or less, even if you can hear my french accent in my phrase... yes I know, it is charming ... perhap's even melting :p But yesterday I called a few media in UK... You cannot imagine the terrible accent they have there ... I could not understand a word, and when they were spelling their e-mail ... Gosh !! I looked very stupid...
the letter "C" sounds "SAY" in french not "sea" .. it is the same for each letter

If someone is fan of the movie "love in Nothing Hill" with Julia Roberts... I called "Horse & Hound" :D The journalist was SOOOOO SNOOOOOOB !!!
it freezed me

Georgi... I called the magazine because I intend to exhibit in UK...
so If I can swimm across the channel, I shall be ready to swimm to your south seas island.. but ... I shall stop first around Dahzl Hut and perhaps exhibit there for a while :p
Judy ... tap your toe... as long as your neighbour underneath dont climb up.. but dont bite your nails ...

Thanks ... I was having a pause while loading my stuff .. I am full of energy again. Have a great day

laudesan
05-19-2004, 06:22 AM
Cyrille, I am a lucky one, I have no neighbour underneath.;) We live in a big house ALL to ourselves..:D

And I don't really bite my nails..LOL

Europa
05-19-2004, 06:58 AM
But yesterday I called a few media in UK... You cannot imagine the terrible accent they have there

Ooooooooh I must protest :p - we dont have an accent - it is everyone else in the world who have the accents.....lol. :evil:

I love the way you write your 'english' - I can hear the french accent in it - wonderful!!...lol

Pat

cyrillejubert
05-19-2004, 08:23 AM
[
I love the way you write your 'english' - I can hear the french accent in it -
Pat

No you cannot ... it is really worse :D
When I exhibit in Belgium... sometimes I hear:
"aren't you french ? You have a strange accent !" lol

Hi Pat
here around me, there is just one person who (dare) criticizes my painting when I think it could be finished, she is my framer (?).. she has a lot of taste and lives just two houses further in the street.
If she says : "it is perfect ! it is too perfect !"
That means that I should wet part of the painting, to have a little blurred on the background ... I respect her advices and I did blurr one of my too perfect painting ...

But here... I know, I am slow ... I am still speaking of the closest forground
Somewhere in this painting, I am supposed to paint a dog :D
He is having a little walk in the garden at the moment... :evil: if you see what I mean ...
Now I am really on my road...
see you sunday

laudesan
05-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Have a safe and pleasant journey.....:)

tigre255
05-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Cyrille, would love to hear your accent in person, just love the French accents. But fear that will never happen..... :(

Hope you have a lovely journey and can't wait till your back to finish this painting up.....will be a long three days to wait...... :rolleyes:

Have fun and see you when you get back.

vestalqueen
05-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Hello, Cyrille! Stunning thus far - I anxiously await the finish.

Erin

monicah
05-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Cyril, this is amazing! I've never seen so many details in a watercolor painting before!

I read on your web page that your palette is very limited and that you use the same 8 tubes all the time. What are the 8 colours you use?

Andy_S
05-20-2004, 04:50 PM
I wish there was a video camera looking over your shoulder while you worked. That would be a video I would definately purchase even if it were a hundred hours long!

Fireman's kid
05-20-2004, 10:16 PM
I am just amazed at the different textures! They look so real I could touch them. But I don't need to because the painting is so good I already know what they would feel like!

I can not wait to see that dog!! I mean if caps and bags and boots can be this exciting... :eek:

Anyway, I will be waiting here in the crowd for your next installment. Thank you for sharing!

Stacy

NodakerDeb
05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Cyril,

You are a most accomplished photo-realist. I can't wait to see the dog :)

Deb

SandraB
05-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Hello Cyril!
I just came across this thread today. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your running commentary and I am in awe of your work! IT IS EXQUISITE! I am looking forward to seeing more when you return. I have to go check out your web site now. Take care.
SandraB

laudesan
05-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Hurry up and come back Cyrille........:D

cyrillejubert
05-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Hurry up and come back Cyrille........:D
Hum !!! I ran back ... Just the time to fetch my "watercolor Price"
... It tooks the same time to drive back 300 km and to sweep the 600 Spam e-mails of these 3 last days ...

HI Erin ... Happy to admire your shoes again .. how are your cats ?

Monicah .. you should read this http://www.the-dog-museum.com/watercolor_lesson.html

Andy ... what a boring video !! cyrille giving two brush strokes... Oh he is gone.. smoking ? ... giving a phone call ? ah ! he comes back ... two brush strokes... Oh he is gone again ! ... for hours ! ... don't wait he went in Belgium ... ah he is here again ... No !!! He looked at the clouds coming from the north and whistle his dog... he is on the way to his marsh to go shouting snipes ..
... I had better to glue the webcam on my hat... you would see munificent landscapes, wild birds, my dog working like a champion ..
a video while I paint ... :rolleyes:
:D it will be the end of my fame !! and of my ventilator's club

tigre255
05-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Cyrill......glad your back even if it is not for long........still waiting for more updates........ ;)

Felica Keech-Smith
05-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Cyrille, amazing work... truly! Nothing much more to say but thank you for sharing your gift with us!

Felica

laudesan
05-23-2004, 03:21 AM
Hum !!! I ran back ... Just the time to fetch my "watercolor Price"
... It tooks the same time to drive back 300 km and to sweep the 600 Spam e-mails of these 3 last days ...

HI Erin ... Happy to admire your shoes again .. how are your cats ?

Monicah .. you should read this http://www.the-dog-museum.com/watercolor_lesson.html

Andy ... what a boring video !! cyrille giving two brush strokes... Oh he is gone.. smoking ? ... giving a phone call ? ah ! he comes back ... two brush strokes... Oh he is gone again ! ... for hours ! ... don't wait he went in Belgium ... ah he is here again ... No !!! He looked at the clouds coming from the north and whistle his dog... he is on the way to his marsh to go shouting snipes ..
... I had better to glue the webcam on my hat... you would see munificent landscapes, wild birds, my dog working like a champion ..
a video while I paint ... :rolleyes:
:D it will be the end of my fame !! and of my ventilator's club

What a shame you DON'T have a web cam glued to your hat......Sounds wonderful........:)

I am glad you are back......:)

Kate Mc
05-23-2004, 03:57 AM
Wow, Cyrille, this is fabulous! (of course) I'm glad that I found it before it was all finished. I love your commentary about the painting as you go. I too would buy the video--if only to see what else you get up to!! :p

I have a pot of tea and Belgian Chocolate. Who would like some? Pat? Lyn? Gilberte?? JJ?

.....My chocolate Maecenas is Marcolini .....

But Cyrille, his chocolate is AMAZING. Have you tried it?? of course you have. Pierre is one of my former students from CERAN, the language school in Spa where we taught when we first came to Belgium. He is an absolutely charming man, who can say more in English with NO VERBS than anyone I ever met. Tell him Kate McNally said hello, and I'm still waiting for that tour of his atelier.

Waiting anxiously for the next installment of this painting.

I love your English.

Kate

vestalqueen
05-23-2004, 11:26 AM
*weaving to Kate* Pass that chocolate over here! Is there no one you haven't met? :D - Cats are fine, Cyrille. I have a new one (now there are five). I anxiously await the next installment as I search for a hat-cam....

Erin

cyrillejubert
05-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Hi dear friends .. excuse me for that long break .. I have to work from time to time :p
I want to come back on the last picture, I am afraid to forget what I want to say if I wait to the end of the WIP ...
The boots are coming out of the final picture and seem really separated of the gun-bag. For that, the more you darken the outline of the object, the more it will get a presence. I don't know anything about theory, I am just speaking of my own very limited experience. In fact, I can tell you that I don't like the idea of doing that... and I don't do it at first...
But when a painting is nearly finished and I try to enhance it, I shall darken little by little the outline of the objects that seems too flat... i do it shily but no doubts, it works.

It is the same for the shadows of the boots on the bag ... the densest they are, the more real the boots will be... but .... never use black ... just be dark, very dark. Black does not exist. In watercolor, black makes a hole in the painting.

I show you once more these boots before to go further... if you are not asleep :D

I just cut the same view of the boots on one of the reference photos... the one taken with a flash ...

cyrillejubert
05-23-2004, 05:37 PM
When all the bottom of my drawing was secured and painted, I covered it with a sheet of paper and started painting the upper part of the picture.
The back of the seat made with buck horn is rather far in the background of the photo and rather blurred... so I painted what I was seeing on the photo.
I discovered these kind of bones starting from the main trunk and ending like fingers.
But painting the deer horns closer of the foreground, I had to go and see by friends how where made these deer horns, and play with light on a real one.
Photography find very quickly its limits when you have to paint a realistic painting.

... the limits are even closer, if you open the camera before to rewind the film :D ... I lost so most of the photos about the horns painting
:p too bad !!

Tanilba
05-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi Cyrille,
What can I say, your art is totally amazing you have a true gift thankyou for sharing your WIP
Regards Glenda

cyrillejubert
05-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Painting this armchair was full of traps.
On the reference photo, one of the feet of the chair was hidden in the shaddow, and in the sametime, the flash was creating feet which did not exist. To make the chair resistant, there was too many deer horns, so I simplifyed a lot.

even so, it was such an entomologist work, that I was bored. I started to paint the background to change my mind.... and then painted the red vest
suddenly, the painting was coming out quickly, after weeks of work.

As you can see.. the wall behind was first painted with a rather light olive green, but when the red vest appeared, I thought a dark christmast tree green could give more presence to the armchair and have a better contrast with the red vest.
"il n'y a que les imb馗iles qui ne changent pas d'avis"

So here is the new wall

... tomorrow I shall try to paint the chemney
I hope to succeed :D

:music: That's all folks :music:

Uschi
05-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Cyril, I am sitting here and keep shaking my head while I am talking to myself saying "unbelievable, unbelievable". The painting, your skill and your patience are UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
Uschi

laudesan
05-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Amazing............ **sigh**

Gilberte
05-24-2004, 02:16 AM
extraordinaire mon cher !

painterbear
05-24-2004, 03:57 AM
Looking mighty fine, Cyrille.

Sylvia

cyrillejubert
05-24-2004, 04:26 AM
Yesterday at night, writing on the horn painting... all my feelings while I were painting came back... It was so meticulous, so long... I had to paint so many layers to render the light on the white horn and the deep brown or violet of the relief. I knew that for my client the colours and the relief of the horns were meaningfull... he could say from which forest the deer came from, what he use to eat, his age, his health ....
I had better to be exact describing this health and dont paint acne when the deer had a chickenpox :D ..

If you look under the seat, you can see a part of the woodwork on the wall, that was fun... you can see it is a real damped watercolour, and it seems tree gnarl.
I have been looking very closely to the woodwork around the chemney, the reference photo was really bad... to draw the curving.. In fact I could see a reflect of the light on one part at the top, an other detail in the middle of the chemney and a different detail under the seat... and so I have been able to reconstitute the real drawing. It is very strongly 1850 neo gothic style. No surprise ! This house has been built at the time when Napoleon III decided that this small village, Pierrefonds, will become an imperial springs town.
Pierre= stone and fonds comme from "fons" "fontaine"= spring
look at that ... Disneyland is nothing beside that
http://www.casteland.com/puk/castle/picardie/oise/pierrefonds/pierrefonds.htm
read the history of the castle... it is interesting.. this castle inspired Haut Koenisgsberg and Neuschwanstein which inspired Disney .. my first intuition joins the historic realty Pffttt ! that is european culture :p

... When the painting was (nearly) finished, I had to hide in the shadow all that woodwork, with a dark (very dark juice)... :crying:
not once! many time till I get the right shadow to push the walls really in the background to let the armchair exist.
But even so, you can still see the drawing of the woodwork.

laudesan
05-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Cyrille this is just GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!

What is that black rectangle in the lower left corner???????

cyrillejubert
05-24-2004, 04:59 AM
Cyrille this is just GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!

What is that black rectangle in the lower left corner???????

The best in love, is climbing the stairs ...
do you really want to take the elevator ? :D

I hid the best of the painting,
and tease the curious little girls :p
I see that you follow Judy... ;)

Next part tonight...
follow the link and visit our old castles ...

lorna12
05-24-2004, 05:03 AM
There are no words!!! Or rather there are so many I would say, I'm speechless!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/11613-bugeyed.gif Bravo!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/11613-clap.gif

billythekid
05-24-2004, 06:31 AM
C'est magnifique. :clap: :clap: :clap: It's true, when people say that you can never achieve realism at its best from a photograph but from a painting. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

cyrillejubert
05-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks Lorna and Billy

On the reference photo the chemney is just a black hole (like for the rhino'eye) .. there was no fire, the fireplace was hidden by a fireguard without any interest but ... to make it harder to paint :(
I decided to have a fire that will enlight the inside of the chemney and perhap's the back of the dog lying in front of the fireplace.
I thought that the inside should be built with bricks and tryed to draw them.

As I never learn how to draw, the perspectives are a real problem for me. I endly find an acceptable compromise between the line of the lying dog, the lines of the chair ... and what my eyes was suggesting me... and draw the bricks. In fact, i did an error and add too many bricks .. the fireplace was nearly in the basement :p .. with all the dust and soot, it is hidden now.

I painted each brick wet on wet, trying to make each one of them different of the next ones.. it was fun. To answer lately to your question, I use very few colours : ochre, burnt sienna, cobalt blue ... cadmium yellow, permanent red, and indigo .. sometimes alizarin, sap green .. I just discovered how to use lemon yellow in my last painting... When I want a weird matter, I try davy's grey (once every second year )
When I want to switch off the light of the white paper, I paint a very light layer (delayed with a lot of water) of indian ink. You can see this on all the chemney. Tha paper is not white, but light grey. Then I paint on it.

tigre255
05-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Cyril, I am enjoying this so much....your work just amazing me......I would love to paint this perfect........ ;)

cyrillejubert
05-24-2004, 05:33 PM
As you see, at the beginning the fire was burning very high.. but painting a fire is a real difficult exercice !!! :evil: is not it ? I did not have photos, that is why my first attempt was childish :p
it looks like fire in comic books ... so I decided to make the flames smaller the good side of it was that the fireback kept the warm reflect of the fire I earlier painted.

See the light on the bricks ! I was very proud of that :cool:

... But when I had to darken the background behind the armchair, I had to darken also the fireplace :crying: and it lost a part of its magic light
have a look to these two pictures

the second one is the final aspect.
Tomorow, You will see the dog.. at least !

Europa
05-24-2004, 05:54 PM
AMAZING!!! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat

laudesan
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
You blow me away Cyrille......... Can't wait for tomorrow !!!!! :) :D

Georgi
05-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Cyrille...you continue to take my breath away with your brilliance...absolutely magnificent. :)

Lee

vestalqueen
05-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Lovely bricks, Cyrille - I don't believe you lost anything with the dark wash - you've been looking at it too long. Can't wait to see that dog!

Bowwow!

Erin

ejmstudios
05-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Holy Cow! I'm getting nose prints on my screen from trying to get close enough :)

Kate Mc
05-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Gobsmacking. :clap:

Incroyable. :clap:

Etonnant. :clap:

Amazing. :clap:

Astonishing. :clap:

More, please. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kate

lorna12
05-25-2004, 03:14 AM
This just keeps getting better and better if that's even possible! Your fire looks very warm and inviting!

I can hardly wait for the next episode of the Cyrille Jubert show!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2004/11613-Flame-01.gif :clap: :clap:

Roun2it
05-25-2004, 03:37 AM
I'm late in on this but no less stunned by the beauty and detail. This is awesome.

amaze_1101
05-25-2004, 03:53 AM
Ohhh myyy Goshhhhhhhhh! I just went through this thread and saw the work in progress. This is beyond words.
Cyrille God didn't only give you a truck load of talent he gave you part of Himself. You must have the patience of a saint to get all that detail in there.

How incredible to se such talent.

Gilberte
05-25-2004, 04:59 AM
Ohhh myyy Goshhhhhhhhh! I just went through this thread and saw the work in progress. This is beyond words.
Cyrille God didn't only give you a truck load of talent he gave you part of Himself. You must have the patience of a saint to get all that detail in there.

How incredible to se such talent.

;) I've met the artist in person. He's even more GOBSMACKING :D, funny but his personality doesn't match his works ... he even charmed my husband who usually isn't charmed by men :p (now keep it between us, Cyrille doesn't need to know all this ... !)

cyrillejubert
05-25-2004, 06:20 AM
;) I've met the artist in person. He's even more GOBSMACKING :D, funny but his personality doesn't match his works ... he even charmed my husband who usually isn't charmed by men :p (now keep it between us, Cyrille doesn't need to know all this ... !)

:angel: and Elaine did not see the dog yet, !!!!
... this is just the background...

as Kate says :
"dont forget to let the main thing be the main thing"

I wonder what words you could find after that ! :p
Gilberte, which part of God could I be ?
his right ear... because just like me, he is very deaf

whe both live in a holy cloud :D Las ! not the same one
but I feel in heaven listening to your :music: words :angel:

Gilberte ! have you been Bernadette Soubirous in your previous life ?
:rolleyes:

laudesan
05-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Hurry up Cyriile.......I am sitting on the edge of my seat, I am biting my fingernails in anticipation..:D

Uschi
05-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Hurry up Cyriile.......I am sitting on the edge of my seat, I am biting my fingernails in anticipation..:D

Me too!!!
Uschi

painterbear
05-25-2004, 10:21 AM
It is a wonder that you spent so much time and effort on the prelude to the symphony, I look forward to the body of the work葉he subject and focal point. There is going to be a dog in here somewhere, isn't there Cyrille????

;) Sylvia

CharM
05-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Following along in your thread is so enjoyable, Cyrille... I appreciate the time you've taken to explain your journey through this painting, the illustrations and installments of the painting as well as some of your problem areas... And, of course, I love your style...

Just waiting for the dog... :D

Gilberte
05-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Here's reply 112 Cyrille. :D . Have you noticed it ?

(no, I wasn't Bernadette Soubirous in a previous life but she used to live next door to me ... :angel: )

Been waiting for the dog also ... Bonne chance !

meaghanb123
05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Perhaps it is good that Ive come to this thread so late in its progress because I fear I would have gone crazy not being able to see what was next! I reached the end today and literally said *bah* out loud when I realized the dog wasnt there!

As for this work all I can offer is..........

(thats right, nothing- Im left utterly speechless! I can only hope that one day I may be a fifth of the artist that you are)

I am completely dumbfounded that you could put this much time into a painting (it of course is beautifully evident- but only makes me realize how far I have to go). Honestly, this is just amazing. You are amazing.

cyrillejubert
05-25-2004, 05:16 PM
I am completely dumbfounded that you could put this much time into a painting (it of course is beautifully evident- but only makes me realize how far I have to go). Honestly, this is just amazing. You are amazing.

Don't doubt of yourself ! don't doubt of your style !
Sometimes, I am very proud of my work ... often :D
Sometimes, I doubt !
and it is heavy to hold ...
Often it is when I am creating a new painting and I don't know how to deal it
Sometimes, I would love to be light...
just paint the eyes, because the eyes are the important thing in the important thing... and just sketch the rest of it
But ... after the eyes, I paint the eyebrows that are important too,
and the ears ... and the truffle ... you need the truffle
but what is a truffle without a mouth ...

... and you have clients,
they gave you a commission because they love your style
so you are tight, you are prisonner of your style

I saw a charmant WIP here
a dog in loose watercolour .. I did not comment
Could I say I love it ... and I am jeallous

No! even if it is true.. I could have wounded

So keep your style and don't doubt of your star
Believe the wise man on his holy cloud :p

cyrillejubert
05-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Sorry to come so late ...
It was "Mummy" 's birthday ... I had to pack (and men are so unskillfull) ..
I had to watercolor my daughter 's comic strips she did for her mother ..
She is SOOOOOO GOOOOD ! Then ... oysters, champagne, and a miam home made chocolate cake .. :cool:

Let's come back to the doggy.
On the next picture, You will see that I started by the eye.
If the eye of the dog is missed, you can tear the whole painting ...
;) it needs some courage sometimes :D
Dont be afraid, I wont start a new WIP at the begining !
The eye was perfect .. and much more that I imagine at first.
The dog is looking at his master from underneath.. he is very lazy and just raise an eyelid without moving anything else. He was so sleepy.

Then I painted the reflect of the fur on his head. It is a very light layer, very transparent. The fur will be painted over it.
I show you the photo that speaks english much better than I do :D
(It seems it is worse tonight.. excuse the champagne ! ;)

M.A.
05-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Very beautiful. Looking forward to watching you create the star of the show: the dog. :D

painterbear
05-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Cyrille,

That is so funny預nd true to life! I've seen dog's do that, just raise the eyelid and look at something謡ithout moving a muscle anywhere else.

The eye is clear and liquid and very lifelike. Superb!

Sylvia

cyrillejubert
05-25-2004, 06:29 PM
I did not explain ...
When I paint the eye, I first paint a very very light film of cobalt blue, where the light is reflected. On the photo, this little spot of light seems white..
but you cannot let the paper just white, is not it ?
Very often, just beside this pure light on the eye, you also have a clear spot, who could be a dark cobalt blue or a light indigo.. The line of these spots are very important.. I mean the shape of the spots... because, an eye is convexe and if - just like me - you cannot invent the perfect image of life, so you have to be the more faithfull as you can in copying what you see in this eye.
After that, if you succed, you can paint 5 legs instead of 3.. nobody cares !

Most of the dogs I painted had brown eyes with a golden outside. So I paint the outside in ochre, and when it is nearly dry, i paint the inside circles in burnt sienna with more or less occhre in it... and in the shadow a bit of indigo.
You know what I mean... you don't have so much time to think at what you do.. the wetness tells you when to do what your own eye tells you what to do.. more or less ...

:confused: Is this clear ? Hum ? .. Is there someone still alive here ?
:D No ... excuse me .. this phrase comes from the "Titanic"
You are right ! It could appear a little confuse ... though the bubles were very fine and the wine itself light and charming, a beautifull dress, a late taste of green fruits ... I love Bollinger.. don't you ? :D

I paint the pupil with indigo added with alizarin... and the black outline with an indigo.. part wet on wet.. You must have an indigo reflect because it is supposed there (i mean in real life :( ) ... perhaps it is the chocolate cake !
There was a lot of coffee in it... it was the first time, i saw my kids preparing a cake... My son (17y.o.) melted first the chocolate forgeting to melt the butter in the pan... and the fire was too strong. So he burnt the chocolate.
Then he started again.. butter then chocolate, then he broke 4 eggs and throw them white and yellow in the chocolate. I arrived in the kitchen when his chocolate omelette was fryed :rolleyes: .. So I helped a bit, and my daughters too.. at the end, it was really good looking and miam to eat too..

I am not sure you are following :p

Like kids at school, your silent and patient wisdom deserves an image :cool:

cyrillejubert
05-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Oups !! Sorry !! These kids have been playing with my photo files !
It is luch that they did not change it with those I hid at the top of the bookshelves .. :(

I just wanted to see if you were still awake :D

Here is the truffle ... the dog's nose

Uschi
05-25-2004, 06:47 PM
You know Cyril, I enjoy your description and stories almost as much as your painting.

I am thinking that you should have little books printed, one per painting and just copy exactly what you have written here and what you have shown here including "Mummie's" birthday and the cake making process. People could and would collect them, I am very sure.

The eye is perfect :D
Uschi

cyrillejubert
05-25-2004, 06:49 PM
I had a closer look to this dog's eye

it does not match exactly what I was writing before :cool:
perhaps he will match the next image ... ;) or perhap's I was describing the eye I painted this morning ... bookmark this page for my next WIP :D

It is because here, in my Holy Cloud, over Paris (France) ..
:evil: No Bob ! It is not Paris - Texas... ! Holy cow !!!
here it is rather late at night, so I can mix my pages while speaking in this long monologue on the waves.. It is not so disturbing... many just look at the images, and the blinds listen to my so charming french accent in the fascinating music of my phrases :p

... one more image, for the ventilator club ?

tigre255
05-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh how marvalous this is.....when i paint animals I always start with the eyes first too and then the nose....... :clap: :clap:

I'm still awake and watching.....please continue..... :cool:

laudesan
05-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Ooooooooo........you are such a tease..........:D:D

Looking beautiful already..

I have two Dalmatians. I painted Bayley a year ago, I must paint Forresstt too..:)

cyrillejubert
05-25-2004, 07:42 PM
You know Cyril, I enjoy your description and stories almost as much as your painting.

I am thinking that you should have little books printed, one per painting and just copy exactly what you have written here and what you have shown here including "Mummie's" birthday and the cake making process. People could and would collect them, I am very sure.

The eye is perfect :D
Uschi

I love you Uschi ... my vocation has never been to be a painter...
since I was 8 years old, my call is to be a writter. And you cannot imagine how beautifull is my french. I love words. In french, I can write pages where each word, each sentence and the whole text has two meanings. On my website, you can find a few poems .. but I could not translate them. My english is much too poor.
My dream is to write a book on my paintings.. My 'guided tour" of the dog Museum is part of this book ... it is the same humour as here .. I know that someone who reads the third page will go to the last one ;) and write me a letter complaining he or she spent the night laughing from page to page.

They are allways wonderfull contacts.
Some were journalists and they wrote real articles in great magazines about my paintings... but also about the fun. My website will never sell a painting, I don't give a price on it.... but it is a munificent tool for Press Relationship.

.. and PR is the most important marketing lever arm for a painter.
I say that for our young painters who did not graduate in marketing and did not worked in an advertising agency. I am a very young painter but I know marketing very well. The only problem is that Marketing makes work the right side of my brain and painting the left side. When one side works, the other is lost and confused. It is very disturbing.

When I started to exhibit, I invested a lot to have stands in big shows. Every two monthes I was showing my paintings.
When I got my first article in a magazine, I saw that the way my friends, my clients or contacts were looking at me, changed. So I spend les time in shows and more in calling journalists and giving them good material. It worked.
It works. The more article you get, the more article you will have...
and the more contacts you will get without exhibiting.

Now ! Yes it is a real work. You have to be very professional, write the exact message you want to transmit, enlight the part of your work that could give you fame AND commissions. I did not published my spiderweb, because I cannot paint 10 of them. I allways send photos of my dogs..
With journalists, you cannot present 2 subjects, it is too complicated for them to write an article saying you are good at this and good at that.
It is called U.S.P. Unic Selling Proposition
Find yours and bang bang bang ... hammer allways the same nail

that was the late night marketing lesson :p

laudesan
05-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Gorgeous........ Oh Gawd I love your work!!!!!!!!!!!

painterbear
05-26-2004, 04:22 AM
The dog is waking up and becoming more and more lifelike, Cyrille.

I KNEW you were a writer, your descriptions and explanations are so humorous and well done, even when you are writing in English, your love of words comes across.

That little lesson on marketing one's works is priceless. I don't have the energy or stick-to-itness to do what you advise, but I know if you do most of the journalist's work for him or her, they will love you and probably use most of what you wrote about yourself. (Of course, you need to be able to write a cogent, concise message!)

Remember the time difference around the world, mon ami, when you think you are talking to yourself as you did earlier in the thread. Some of us may be asleep when you are painting and posting, as you probably are while I am typing this. :angel: ;)

Sylvia

cyrillejubert
05-26-2004, 01:34 PM
The dog is waking up and becoming more and more lifelike, Cyrille.Sylvia

me too ! :D

Remember the time difference around the world, mon ami, when you think you are talking to yourself as you did earlier in the thread. Some of us may be asleep when you are painting and posting, as you probably are while I am typing this. :angel: ;)
Sylvia

You are right Sylvia.
I wrote last night till 2 o'clock in the morning.. Paris time... Paris France of course... and when I woke up at 7 am
it was still 2.am in Paris ...Holy cow ! Paris Texas ! .. of course !
It is so complicated ... I wonder if I really slept... Did I ? :confused:

Thanks to be awake at the same time.. I don't know how it is possible.
With this strange virtual line of date changing, perhaps you are living tomorrow whan I am from yesterday.. So you have allready read what I shall (perhap's) write tonight :(
Could you send me a copy of this future thread by mail ? I feel lazy
:D

cyrillejubert
05-26-2004, 02:21 PM
thanks JJ

So ! Let's discover what I wrote tomorrow

On the last image, you saw that the fur was coming out slowly around the eye. I use the thinest paint-brush a 3/000. I have to buy new ones often because they dont have so many hair (fur) in them and when one of them fall, it is like loosing a finger for a pianist. You can play on, but if you lose two...
or three ... you very quickly look like a policeman typing on his computer :D

Hum ! I often try to paint the fur with rather raw colours.. paint a blue fur, and a blue-violet just beside it .. exagerating the colours I see and juxtaposing the colors.. just like in impressionism, pointillism or fauvism. At the end, when I look at the result, it looks true, but most of the time, I have to adjust the volume.

I cannot just darken the orbit or the jaws. I must wet lightly the whole subject and then darken the part that needs it. Meanwhile, the raw or strong colors, side by side, will exchange a few pigments, and the painting will become totally realist. You can allways see the colors and each fur will stay visible... but the whole painting will be unifyed.

cyrillejubert
05-26-2004, 02:33 PM
I show you the reference photo of the dog 's head and the painting
before to enlarge the view and show all the modification I had do do

tigre255
05-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Ohhhhh Cyril......your puppy is coming alive....must take notes and learn.... ;) I really like what you have done to your puppy......so real like....... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gilberte
05-26-2004, 02:52 PM
tooooooooooo good for words (I'm off to watch "des racines et des ailes")...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

painterbear
05-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Cyrille,

I love the fur, it looks so silky I just want to touch it, but my monitor glass is in the way. :crying:

Wanted to tell you I like how you changed the position of the pupil in the dog's eye. Now he is looking right at the viewer, but in the photo reference he is looking up instead.

Don't know if I am awake or asleep or ahead or behind遥ou've gotten me so-o-o-o confused, you wicked Frenchman! ;)

Sylvia

vestalqueen
05-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Arf-arf! (That's dog for "phenomenal")...

Erin

cyrillejubert
05-26-2004, 05:24 PM
tooooooooooo good for words (I'm off to watch "des racines et des ailes")...
also made in Belgium : Tintin, Chimay's beer, Gilberte's flemish paintings, pommes frites (=french fries), Mannekenpiss (hum.. no comment), Bruxelles prouts (do they smell better in Bruxelles ? prouts=breaking wind)

Gilberte ! you have a curious way of promoting your country :D

Sylvia ... did I choose to paint the eye looking so ?
No I painted what I was seeing... If it is different, I shall enhance it only if I think it could be better .. I liked it so

when I chose details of the final photos, I discovered that in the painted eye, you can see the blue sky with the clouds of that day ...
look at this photo

lorna12
05-26-2004, 07:36 PM
I see a slight difference in the eye, but I like what you have better....just enough of a change, that it looks like he is looking at the viewer as Sylvia has said.

About your writing, I'm sure I am not alone when I say, I read every wonderful and amusing word! You are a gifted writer as well as a gifted artist....I find your French accent absolutely charming and.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2004/11613-laugh1.gif

laudesan
05-26-2004, 11:17 PM
O.K. Cyrille, I have stopped tapping...:)

I am nw eating a cream cake and celebrating the unveiling of your beautifully painted dog.. :clap:

Gilberte
05-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Merci for the close-up of the eye. That's exactly how our dogs watches us whatever what we're doing. Reflection of the sky in his eye ... gorgeous.

I'm dropping in regularly you know ... I'd hate to miss something, your meticulous paintings or your verbal eloquence !

Ciao Bello !

Europa
05-27-2004, 04:40 AM
Well I am just sitting here in absolute awe!!!

Pat

Freerider
05-27-2004, 06:34 AM
WOW!!!

I just have to wait for about thousand of practice before i can paint like that!!!

LisaArt
05-27-2004, 07:25 AM
An amazing thread, artist and painting. Absolutely gorgeous!

Dake
05-27-2004, 08:10 AM
This must be one of the finest photorealistic watercolours ever done.
No need for words.

artmom
05-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Superb, mon ami! :D

Lyn

cyrillejubert
05-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Here is the whole painting. The last photo I took by myself in my workshop.
You will compare on next page with the photo taken by a professionnal, with a digital camera. The colours are very different, I suppose it is because it was a photo in CYMB for print instead of RGB, and my PC does not handle so well such an enormous file. (55Mb)

When I took this photo, I said "Ouf ! c'est fini !"
But I have a friend, who lives three houses away in the same street, very well bread, delicate and fine, (I can say that here, she don't even know what internet means :D ), she frames all my paintings ... after I killed all the other chap in her shop, who dared to give me their advice on framing. :evil:

With the years, we became friends and I ask her what I should enhance in my painting. You can imagine what a diplomat she is when she criticizes. My wife dont dare to give any advice since ... 6 years ? :D

Florence after admiring, endly droped a few comments.
The red vest was too simple and flat beside of the leather bag or the boots. I had to change the matter.
I had to work on the light to separate the different plan (?) foreground, middle and background ... plus details

I am very :cool: with her ... what she was asking for was a huge amount of work ... with very difficult exercices and big risks in watercolour. :(
But I had allready decided at the begining, that this painting should be as close as perfection as possible...

amaze_1101
05-27-2004, 05:13 PM
I ponder the fact (as I safely sit thousands of miles away) that the dogs eye is reflecting blue sky and clouds while sitting inside a room??? ....or have I got the wrong end of the stick and missed something realy obvious. Pleeeeease tell me I'm wrong! :o

other than that which bugs me, I think you are beyond talented.

I bow down to the master!

cyrillejubert
05-27-2004, 05:41 PM
To separate a little more the armchair of the gun bag and the boots, I darkened lightly the seat, the back and the further arm of the chair.

Then, I had to darken even more the wall and the woodenwork. You can see a big difference around the chemney and under the seat of the chair.

All this had blured the edges of each object, so I had to paint them again. A deep black line gives a real relief to things... I darkened strongly the shadows of the boots on the bag and on the horns and those of the horns on the horn behind, creating these shadows that was not so visible on the reference photo.

Playing at the game of the 7 mistakes, I completely changed the shadow of the vest on the back of the armchair. When you know it, you see the two shadows in transparency. (I just saw it 5 minutes ago)

I changed the vest matter in "corduroy" ? we say 1000 lines velvet. You cannot see it so well on this photo.
gave more volume to the buttons and more depth to the openings

The fireplace had then too much light, so I worked on it... and as i still did not like my flames, I changed them a bit.. The logs were just sketched.. I corrected them and the ashes :D

The boar sculpture took a green patina...

:rolleyes: I dont know what did not change in the last days...
I even washed up the carpet who had a lot of defaults... and now the persons who looked at it, were crazy about this sisal matting.

Well ! at the end, it looks correct :cool:
There still have a few enormous defaults, but they are hidden or blurred by the flashy of enormous qualities :p
During a concert, who care of the acne of Maria Callas, is not it ?

Here is the full of defaults final paintings

Europa
05-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Well I wish I could paint with defaults like that!!

AMAZING!! STUPENDOUS!!! MIND BOGGLING!!! SUPERDUPERFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat

madmum
05-27-2004, 06:22 PM

Awesome, Cyrille, you always achieve perfection!

Ruth

vestalqueen
05-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Cyrille, it's simply gorgeous! I have one teensy weensy nit - and it very easily could be my monitor - it appears that the boots, bag and dog need a bit of grounding with a shadow. They have the appearance of being "cut and pasted". Other than that, you amaze me with not only your incredible technique, but your ability to capture the intangible.

I like the sisal.

Erin

lorna12
05-28-2004, 12:04 AM
Simply, exquisitely, wonderful!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/11613-14803-25705-worshippy.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/11613-cheers.gif
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/11613-Junes_animations_011.gif

cyrillejubert
05-28-2004, 03:22 AM
For years, I have been repeating to my wife, again and again, that for my funeral, every woman will have to wear a low necked dress with naked shoulder. Sure they will freeze in the church, but no less than me... and this charming spectacle will warm my heart one more time... :angel:

Good Heavens ! I am still alive ...

So Ladies, Please..

Ladies, ... would you listen to me one more time ?

Ladies, when you come here and bow to show your admiration to the old man,

.... think to dress up to warm his heart, please ! :D

painterbear
05-28-2004, 04:06 AM
Cyrille,

It is truly awesome! Thank you for letting us watch as you performed your magic.

Sylvia

izzie
05-28-2004, 05:09 AM
Cyrille, I'm just one of the many that say your work is amazing! But the best thing is that it's fun too! I liked the funeral story.

CharM
05-28-2004, 06:49 AM
Cyrille... you men are all alike... :D :D :D My husband says that I'm to wear a red dress and dance on his grave! :eek: :eek:

I think it's nice that you have such a trusting relationship with your framer... She did give you excellent advice... although I did like that brilliant red coat before you toned it down...

I also think that Erin has a valid point about needing some shadows on your sisal matting...

This is truly a masterful work and I've thoroughly enjoyed your painting and stories... I, sincerely, hope that you'll do another very, very soon!

cyrillejubert
05-28-2004, 12:50 PM
For my funeral...
If at that time, you don't walk so well..
and don't feel like burrying one more old chap
especially with this special dress
I can understand.. :(
I know what old days are ...

:p Send your daughter and grand-doughters in ambassy
Sure, it will be perfect. :D

tigre255
05-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey whats all this talk of funerals :rolleyes: .......would be a great loss to the whole art world.......lol

Love the finish but agree with Char about the coat. But all in all I simply love the whole painting :clap: :clap: :clap:

And loved your story along with it (what i could understand of it) :o I'm but a simple american, but it was very interesting and there was truely an french accent that got in my way a few times :D but still enjoyed trying to figure it out.......lol

Hope you will do another WIP so that I can learn even more.....thank you

Gilberte
05-28-2004, 01:32 PM
P鑽e Lachaise isn't ready for you yet Cyrille ........

Beautiful finish and I'm really in awe but where did you sign this time ??????

cyrillejubert
05-28-2004, 03:19 PM
I knew that my english had a real frrrrrench accentt...
:( was it so terrrribbel that it was not under stabblle ?

I wrote a press release for UK using "Word"... I discovered that I am used with a few mistakes... and "allways" write "beautifull" L everywhere. I am sorrrrry.
"L" sounds like aile=wing ... :angel: needs two to fly, is not it ?

For the shadow on the carpet...
I could have created the shadow of the window. I thought I could do that for a while, but there is not a strong light in this picture. It looks more like a winter cloudy day's light. So I decided not to add this shadow.
But perhap's I did not understand Erin.
The light on the boots comes from behind the spectator, the boots shadow is under and behind... I am glad with that.
:evil:
Would like also a bunch of white roses in a vase beside the dog, sweetie :evil:

I did not change the colour of the vest... I took the first photo with my camera with day light and i has been digitalised directly in RGB, the second one was taken with a flash and directly digitalised in YCMB (for prints)
That is why colors seem different.

Gilberte
I signed on one of the badges pined on the cap
Here it is !

tigre255
05-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Cyril, please don't take anything i say to heart about having trouble understanding.....that was the fun part, trying to figure it out. While going to a tech. college some of my best friends were from other countries. I learned so much from them of their countries and love all accents. I was just teasing you anyways. Enjoyed the whole thread thats for sure.....and am just in awww over your skill with the brush and watercolours. ;)

Gilberte
05-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Okay Cyrille, found it: "C.Jubert Fan" :evil:

cyrillejubert
05-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Don't worry Barbara, I was joking and the :evil: nark nark was for my red haired friend Erin ... after what I said before ... I did not dare to say "my old friend Erin" :D

Next week I shall get the photo of my last painting, two dogs and a parrot in a garden ... I painted the pink flowers for you Erin.. I shall publish it here

I decided this afternoon to stop the commissionned portraits on my desk, to paint a very special portrait of a corgi for the contest of the 200th anniversary of the Royal watercolour society. 5 years ago, I took photos of a corgi, coming directly from Queen Mum.

hum !
What is the probability that Prince Charles inaugurate this watercolour show ?
What is the probability that HM Elisabeth inaugurate this 200th anniversary ?

I remind you that Elisabeth has 6 corgis ;)

The real question
What is the probability that one or more of my paintings will be accepted in this contest ???
I take the chance presenting
1ー 18.000 dew drops
2ー The Corgi's portrait
3ー ? my lab on the red checked armchair ? they cannot accept 2 dogs
"new shoes" ? I is not good enough

I don't have so many great paintings available for sale...

Gilberte, an idea ?

stephie20
05-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Absolutely outstanding........the dog especially ..such talent.... :clap: :clap: ....I cant wait to see more of your work.......Good luck in the contest with your Corgi painting, although i'm sure with such talent you won't need it....

"I remind you that Elisabeth has 6 corgis " .think she might only have 5 now....Pharos was killed by Annes dog :)

cyrillejubert
05-29-2004, 04:35 AM
I just visited the RWS website, looking at the members's paintings ...
:( it is very far of Turner ...

the paintings seem very gouachy ... more acrylic than watercolour
and very abstract ...
If the these painters are in the jury, I don't have any chance...

I shall try anyway... we shall perhap's meet there ?

Kate Mc
05-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Ooooohhhh, Cyril, what an amazing painting. And I absolutely adore the commentary along the way. Thanks for another wonderful journey!

Kate

cyrillejubert
05-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Ooooohhhh, Cyril, what an amazing painting. And I absolutely adore the commentary along the way. Thanks for another wonderful journey!
Kate

If the W.I.P. is over, the story of the painting is bouncing to a new episode.

I told you that I intended to submit 3 paintings at the 200th anniversary of the Royal Watercolour Society in London. My problem is that I paint most of the time on commission, so I have very few paintings to present in such exhibitions which ask that every painting could be bought.

I called my client yesterday asking him to lend me the painting.... and at what price he would accept to lose it. It took more than half an hour of negociation to find a price acceptable for him and for me.
Yes ! For me...
The first price he gave me was 1 Million UK Pounds, 1,7M$
so he will be sure that nobody would buy his dear painting... but I would have been ridiculous and burnt for any commission.

He endly accepted a rather reasonable price :cool: 45.000 Pounds
that is about 36000 $ ... cool ! that is good for my quoted value for second hand :p
We have a gentleman agreement..
If the painting is sold at that price, I keep half of the price
and I have to paint him a new painting, with his dog, gun bag and boots, with an other vest... in an other room of his house without fireplace ...

... and I have to paint it in reasonable delays ... less than 6 years :p
True !
Is not he a munificent Maecenas !

So... I have now a GREAT PAINTING for this contest .. I hope they will accept it in the exhibition. The answer to this question should be known the second of July.... Of course ! As soon as I shall know it, I shall write it here..

:( If they don't accept me, You will hear me YELLING from Vancouver to Brisbane ...
If they do ... :D ... the same !

Now my very dear brothers and sisters, in the silence of our heart, let's pray
:angel:

lorna12
05-30-2004, 03:44 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that it will be chosen, but I will pray and keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!!! I will be waiting for your shout of glee/joy over here in Canada!

tigre255
05-30-2004, 03:51 PM
There is no doult that you will be excepted I'm sure, but just in case will cross all fingers and toes for you....and I'm sure will hear you clear accross the waters when they say yes.

Good luck my friend.......

SandraB
05-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Dear Cyrille,
I wish you the very best of luck in being accepted...although, I doubt that you will need it. I could stare at your painting all day! It is incredible!...and beautiful!...and awe inspiring!...I will be looking forward to hearing the news in July. I'll also be looking forward to seeing more of your work! I enjoyed this WIP soooo much! The painting and the stories are wonderful! And I love your accent!
Take care!
Sandra

cyrillejubert
05-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks Sandra

The latest news is that "inflation" is galoping ... :rolleyes:
Remember 1936 when germans had to go and buy their bread with a full wheelbarrow of banknotes of millions of deutchmarks :(
I read attentively the form of this RWS contest... the bankside Gallery will keep 40% + VAT on the total price ...
I looked at a recent invoice from England, VAT is 17,5%

So globally ... my painting just doubled its value :D

artmom
05-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Mon ami, c'est magnifique! :D

(Hope I didn't say anything inappropriate! LOL)

Lyn

karenjh
05-31-2004, 10:38 PM
This painting is so realistic. I love all the different textures - and the hair on the dog is awesome.

cyrillejubert
06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Hello My dear friends

I told you I submitted this watercolour dog portrait at the Royal Watercolour Society 200th anniversary contest ... This painting has been accepted !
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I should applause just once, because they did not accept the two other paintings... they did not accept the 18.000 dewdrops on the web !!!
Pffffffffftttt !!!

With this painting in this very important exhibition, I hope to have a few new client ... around London if you know who I mean :D

Gilberte
06-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Congratulations Cyrille, that superexcellent news :clap:
So you'll be sending an invitation to Buckingham Palace I guess ;) ?

cyrillejubert
06-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Congratulations Cyrille, that superexcellent news :clap:
So you'll be sending an invitation to Buckingham Palace I guess ;) ?

Thanks ma mie

I won't ... She is the Patron of the RWS !
I hope she wont have a headache for the opening day between 6 and 8 pm

I should send her a few Advil pills in case :D
I have been so afraid all these last days ... I am glad to have the results
and VERY HAPPY that this painting is exhibited in London.
I am printing new business cards ... with my dogs portraits on it
and they will be only in english ...
Paris-Brussels-London how elegant ! :p

amiti駸 tous les deux

lorna12
06-30-2004, 06:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2004/11613-Woohoo_waytogo.gif

That is excellent news!! Congratulations!! I never had a doubt in my mind that it would be accepted!

tuckerbird
06-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Congratulations Cyrille!! :clap: And thank you for this wonderful thread. I can only repeat what many others have already said, Your talent is simply amazing! Your love for what you do really shows in your work.

SandraB
06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, Cyrille!!!!!
Wonderful news!
Sandra

Dublin
06-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Cyril,
I just came upon this thread as it was finished. So glad I did as I am struggling with learning to do fur and pet portraits. Your painting is absolutely fantasitic, love it. It gives an insight into how a realistic painting is done, and lets me know I have been totaly unrealistic in my expectations. Patience is not my virtue.
Thanks for sharing.
Brian. :clap: :clap:

champagneharley
07-01-2004, 12:41 AM
AWESOME!

What a treat to see this WIP.
Thank you so much.
Regards,
Jillian

tooth-pick
09-05-2005, 04:24 AM
excuse me Master to disturb you during your nap...
It seems that you don't paint anymore those days ... ?

or did you forget your friends from wetcanvas ?

You seem to have a bunch of groopies here...
Please come back, Honorable Master, and show your fans your last creations

dex
11-18-2005, 08:39 PM
cyrille,there's only one word I can think of,that describes your awesome talent,and that is:--------------------------------- SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALLYDOCIOUS!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
regard's
dex
ps
and your narration is as awesome as your talent,glad to have met you,
mon amie,merci beaucoup!.

pps
with your love of art,and your dedication,can I ask!,are you MARRIED!!?:evil: .

cyrillejubert
11-19-2005, 04:03 AM
Hi Dex
Thanks for the word :D
Wait to see the painting that is on my desk ...
You won't find a longer word :p

I'm surprised that you found that old thread somewhere in the abyss of wetcanvas memory.

Did you have a look to my very last drawing ?

the child and the fairy tale ?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307558&goto=newpost

cheers

cyrille

Yorky
11-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Cyrile, now this thread has popped up again, I will move it to the Studio, where WIP's are now posted.

If you wish you may post your final image in the Gallery.

Doug

Dorice
11-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Cyrille, wow! Your painting blows me away! Magnificient ... so real.

I am new here, and I am very humbled by the quality. So much fun!

I have to comment on your "accent". Here in New Brunswick (I am French Acadian), we say, jokingly "How can you tell I'm Franch? Is it by my spoke or by my accident?"

Love your work. Truly an inspiration.

cyrillejubert
11-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I have to comment on your "accent". Here in New Brunswick (I am French Acadian), we say, jokingly "How can you tell I'm Franch? Is it by my spoke or by my accident?"
The acadian you accept to send us have a strange accent while speaking :D
but they sing beautifully
:wave:

DianaQu
11-19-2005, 03:34 PM
This is the most entertaining WIP I have had the good luck to stumble upon.
I'ts beautiful; congratulations and good luck!!

DQ

Dorice
11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Singing: "Vogue au gr du vent ... hissons les voiles ..."

Except for I can't sing to save my life. But my cooking is pretty good! ... and I'm beginning to come along with the paints ...

Again, very special work you do. Congratulations!

els
11-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Cyrille, you are really a master... Fantastic...

cyrillejubert
12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
:cool:
Hi Yorky I love you in Santa Klaus
This image was from last year... do you have a new one :D

I pop up this WIP again for a Japanese student who writes a thesis on The Master :p Sometimes, I come here and read the comments to give me courage.. In the tempest of rain and wind, during these so short days of december, I would like to see cocotrees and blue lagoons of our southern friends.
This Brazilian flag seems to float under a warm summer wind! :wave:
invite me under your sun-umbrella, please!

Dahzl
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Oooops !??? :confused: Where am I ???? :confused:

Well Sacre Bleu !! Goodness Gracious Me !
Monsieur Cyrille Mon Cherie ! :clap: Hellooooo there :wave:

Oi ! You may sit under my sun umbrella anytime - but you will have to swim a long long way first :D

emogirl
12-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Cyrille....it was just marvellous....enjoyed every bit of it....so glad you are back to WC, i've missed you!!! I have been unable to paint for a couple of months (well, nothing i would show) and you've just inspired me!!! thank you! stick around for a while, would ya?? oh btw, congrats on the acceptance into a prestigious show.

cyrillejubert
12-12-2006, 04:50 AM
Ohhhhh My dahzling Princess of the Southern seas !!!
:heart: mmmmm oh yes! days and nights !! :D
At once I feel warmer ! What a surprise and what a happiness to see you here... That's a real Xmas present !

Hi Kim! Thanks... I'll stick :D I need heath :grouphug:

Santa Klaus is supposed to offer me a new camera (camescope)
So perhap's I could try to make movie WIP ?
I'll try.
At least, I will try a step by step. I have to paint a pack of 6 golden retrievers. I took rather beautiful photos in september, with beautiful reflects on their fur. You will love it.

Did I tell you I am writing a book about these 10 days of painting?
I wrote a whole chapter about my relationship with the Queen Elisabeth.
It's the longest chapter, still not finished... the funiest to write too because we never met :D
So the name of the chapter in French is fun, perhap's someone could help me for the good translation in English. I don't think it could work.
"R騅駘ations du peintre priv de la Reine"

it could be read with two meanings in French, it depends where you breathe

revelations of the Queen's private painter
or
revelations of the painter deprived of the Queen
:D

Las! I 'm the last ... but not the least, as you know.

:wave:

Laura D
12-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Cyrille,

I am so glad you decided to resurrect this thread. I am so impressed I can't find any adjectives! I think of you as a treasure just found.

Another newbie,

cyrillejubert
12-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Hello Laura:wave:

Wetcanvas is full of hidden treasures and charming archeologists ...
I love that you call me "treasure", sweet heart :D

Sometimes it's my turn to play the archeologist... last year I was looking for the hidden crypt in the royal tomb of Amenmoatonfils ... some paparazzi surprised me.
I found the treasure... I 'll show it to you after dinner
:cool: Meal time ! you know how are men !!! :rolleyes:

cyrillejubert
12-12-2006, 05:19 PM
As you know I 'm the curator of The Dog Museum.
Egypt is famous for its sacred cats and nobody wrote about the Egyptian dogs at the time of the Pharaon. So I didn't intend to travel idiot. I was looking for dogs in the ancient Egypt.
A text in Hieroglyphs in the tomb of Amenmoitonfils leads me to an ignored tomb in the Nobels valley, where his general in chief had been buried. This soldier, Combyourpubis II, was a great hunter and loved to go in safaris.

You 'll see underneath... and that's a scoop ! :thumbsup: Photos that have never been published anywhere... no kidding I took real risks for them

Photos of a painting showing a safari 3500 years ago
The details are really amusing ...

On the first photo, you see panthers furs on the left, ducks and geese
On the second one, you see elephant 's trusks (teeth), a captured cheetah and many kind of monkeys
On the third one a giraf

... and on the last one, a pack of hunting dogs... Is n't it a scoop ?
As you see these dogs are close to greyhounds, built to force the game

Is n't it interesting ?

I found other paintings of dogs in other tombs, but the tomb keepers did n't accept to be corrupted, so no photos. But they were dogs in the Egyptian families just like in our countries nowaday.

You see sweetheart how deep was this "treasure" you found... :rolleyes:

maintenant y'a plus qu' emballer :D

Dahzl
12-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Ahhh........Monsieur Cyrille Indy Jubert intrepid explorer, photographer extrordinaire !! Wow ! Fabulous pics -:clap: Merci for sharing your Wonderful discoveries.

Yes I can see the likeness and definate connection to the "greyhound" breed of today - They are a truly royal and ancient breed of dog. -and I have been for some time now 'mulling' over whether to adopt one - not quite sure yet - but there a many retired racing greyhounds up for adoption here - all needing a loving home and family -
your wonderful expedition and photos have put those thoughts back into my mind. Aye Yi Yi Aye.........:confused: :eek: will the cats cope ???? will the budgie handle all the excitement etc.... etc.....my children are jumping up and Yes pleeeeeeeeese yes pleeeeeeeeese ! Aye Yi Yi. Yi.....................!!

cyrillejubert
12-13-2006, 04:22 AM
On the scale of intelligence, greyhounds are at the bottom
Very beautiful and very stupid :cool:

If they are old, they won't be able to learn that cats are friends
The good side of it, you will have private show all day of greyhounds coursing cats in the garden... for more fun, you should cut off all the trees, to make the show last longer :D

In Toutankhamon's treasures, there was a beautiful sculture of a dog, but I cannot find any photo on the net..
My son and my daughter, who are less respectful than I, are looking for new graves.. so you will see perhap's new "unfound treasures" on these pages
As you know Dahzl, I 'm like the genius of the magic lamp, you just have to stroke this thread and pfffffffftt I appear again :D

Laura D
12-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Oooooo! I can see this gem has many facets! Indy in the Royal Tomb photo is so funny. Your son and daughter are very good looking (they take after you!).

Yes, I am very happy with the other treasures I have found at WC and I've only been here for two weeks. There is so much talent and are so many generous spirits here. I am learning a lot and feel right at home. There is a down side though. I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from the computer to go paint!!

I'm amazed that you got the photos you did in Combyourpubis II's tomb. I remember this from art history class. Our professor(ess) had travelled extensively. She had to do drawings rather than take photos. It was very interesting to be able to see into the lives of such ancient people. I wonder if current hieroglyphs will show us sitting at our computers!

Your last statement: "maintenant y'a plus qu' emballer " translates as "now y' has more than to pack" which I don't really understand. The online translator is probably not accurate. Can you expound please?

cyrillejubert
12-13-2006, 05:15 PM
You are right... wet canvas is a home.. a warm Club.
I have been chatting here since 2003.. and created great friendships all over the planet... I can be off for 6 months and as soon as I write a new thread, my friends appear again. It's such a pleasure.

What the name of this Egyptian general again ? :evil:

Do you know this comics where the hero is a Gallic warrior, Asterix ?
Each Gallic name ends by "ix" and his a joke on words.. Obelix Idefix ...
The roman names ends by "us" and the egyptian by "is"
like Numerobis, Amonbofils .... :wink2:

have a look to the drawings by "Eclipse"... bluffing!!!!
http://ww.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279182

Dahzl
12-13-2006, 10:01 PM
{On the scale of intelligence, greyhounds are at the bottom
Very beautiful and very stupid }

-------:confused: Yes that is what worries me - will probably drive me 'crazy' :eek: eternal puppy hood !

{If they are old, they won't be able to learn that cats are friends
The good side of it, you will have private show all day of greyhounds coursing cats in the garden... for more fun, you should cut off all the trees, to make the show last longer }

---------Haaaaaaah... Haaaaaah... Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa........... :lol::!! that would make for a very funny show ! I am sure our poor little felines will just love THAT scenario everyday :eek:

Noooooooooooooo.............. !!! :eek:

No but seriously - daaahlink Cyrille some of these dogs are retired at around 3 to 5 years in age and are introduced into a foster home where they learn [ supposedly ] how to live in a home environment and to get along with other dogs and Cats and Kids etc.... they apparently become very snuggly 'couch potatoes' Hmmmmmmm........I might have to put the idea in the ' too hard ' basket -

Dahzl
12-13-2006, 10:16 PM
and I just have to add --- WoW !! your beautiful Little :angel: :angel: look so grown up now ! they are certainly getting into the spirit of the search with Great Gusto ! :D Yes Indeed I shall look forward to viewing all the newfound 'treasures' unearthed in the Great diggings :wink2:

[ As you know Dahzl, I 'm like the genius of the magic lamp, you just have to stroke this thread and pfffffffftt I appear again ]

Voila !! itsa....magic :music: magic.....:music: maaaaaaaagic...:music: :D

Laura D
12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Sorry I disappeared - we had a power outage for 3 days. Then I had to stay in the studio, furiously painting to try to catch up!

cyrillejubert
12-22-2006, 03:16 AM
desappearing like that is the mark of a genius :rolleyes:

I'm actually dressed as the invisible man

I was invited at a hunting party in Alsace, East of France, close to the German border, by Swiss bankers. The 3 hosts and all the guests (but me) were bankers :cool: I was the uggly little duck during three days.
... but I perhaps got more commissions there than anywhere else in my life. We 'll see if they confirm.

And now I'm exhibiting my paintings in a foundation (it's free for me)... very boring! waiting all day for someone looking up to my paintings.. I could perhap's sell a print or two. It 'll end on saturday evening...
what a bore!!

Merry Xmas to you

Laura D
12-28-2006, 01:29 AM
Commissions would be grand. It's sounds so exciting to me to have paintings in an exhibition. I can only dream.

Lori Andrews
12-29-2006, 11:18 AM
NK, all I can say is WOW, and there aren't words... Wonderful!

cyrillejubert
03-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi :wave:

I am Back ... for a while
And would be happy to see your smile on this page

hum ... I should perhap's open a new thread :o

Shirl Parker
03-31-2008, 05:03 PM
:-)

HarvestMoon
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
took me awhile to find the dog in that first photo...what a chair - eh? like something on tarzan....

your portrait is indeed stunning.... and I have a very soft spot for spaniels- esp. brittany spaniels.... have to go see your site.... and read the rest of the 11 pages- gulp- story....

Cheri Lee
03-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm so glad that you shared with us! I'm new to Wet Canvas and find your work inspiring and wonderful. Your work takes my breath away!

Cheri Lee

HarvestMoon
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
reading your wonderful site.... just fabulous!!! such humor too... no doubt you could also make a good living with your humorous writings!!!

A Book!!! That's the ticket- with the paintings and the writings.... why not?

angelkate
07-20-2008, 04:44 PM
This is truly fantastic!!!
Its such an experience, being a witness to this legendary work of art.

Kate

painterbear
07-20-2008, 05:17 PM
This is one of our "oldies, but goodies" threads.

I'm glad you brought it to the forefront again, Kate. We have a lot of newcomers who will be seeing it for the first time. :D

Sylvia

Laura D
07-21-2008, 03:24 AM
:D :D :D :wave: 've missed you!