PDA

View Full Version : Painting acrylic on glass bottles

cunparis
05-16-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm curious if it's possible to paint acrylic on glass. I imagine some kind of prep would be needed so the acrylic would stick. I'm wondering.. could I paint white gesso on the glass and then when it dries paint with acrylic? I know Pebo sells some decorative paint specifically for this, but I've already got acrylic paint so if the acrylic would work I'd love to try it out. Anyone tried it? If not I will try it and post the results.

-Michael

Dima
05-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Hello Michael,

Pebeo do indeed have some special paints for ceramics, glass etc..
Lascaux has a special primer called uniprimer to bond on metal, glass etc.; look for uniprimer under seizing and primers on this webpage: Lascaux applications and mediums (http://www.lascaux.ch/english/malhilfen/index.html)

Dick

terriv
05-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Yesterday I saw at Wal-Mart an entire section in crafts for stained glass window making. It think it's the new craze of sorts as they never had this much advanced stuff for that hobby. I know they had "instant lead" (a fake lead), and plenty of glass paint to make windows look like stained glass. I assume the stained glass paint would be very transparent. I do know it was not expensive at all for small bottles. You could check there for either paint or for something to treat the glass.

They have some decent Talkon brushes there. They have blending medium. Limited size canvases and stock watercolor paper. Other stuff. I always double check to see if they have what I need before I pay shipping from Blick.

Wal-Mart....people either love it...or hate it. There is no in-between.

SwitzerS
05-17-2004, 01:17 AM
Michael, I have used acrylics on glass bottles. Just regular craft paint (FolkArt). You have to clean the glass with soap and water, dry it, then wipe with alcohol. Let dry and paint! Then I spray an acrylic sealer over the design and it's really hard to scrape off. The biggest difference is that you kinda lay the paint on and don't overpaint, cause it will pull the undried paint off.

Andrew
05-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Acrylics will stick to glass, but as anyone who uses a glass palette will tell you, it won't be permanent. If you like the idea of being able to peel it off when you are sick of the design, and thusly start over, great.

If you want to make it permanent, I suggest getting a chemical glass etching compound. I have seen it if various art catalogs, and even our Walmart carries it. It takes the smooth finish off the glass, giving it a rough, frosted look. Then paint away with whatever acrylic you want. Seems to me, some interesting effects could be created that way.

Andrew

printzessofthenorth
05-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you've gotten plenty of good suggestions so far.

The thing I have to offer is that I think if you were to roughen up the surface of the glass so it was no longer smooth, I believe the acrylic would stick.

A very fine sand paper would probably work, or perhaps the etching idea...a frosted glass would be less smooth than the original surface, just don't know if it would be rough enough.

I do think you would also need to seal it as an earlier post suggested.

Interested in your results.

debbie

avian
05-19-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm curious if it's possible to paint acrylic on glass. I imagine some kind of prep would be needed so the acrylic would stick. I'm wondering.. could I paint white gesso on the glass and then when it dries paint with acrylic? I know Pebo sells some decorative paint specifically for this, but I've already got acrylic paint so if the acrylic would work I'd love to try it out. Anyone tried it? If not I will try it and post the results.

-Michael
yes , is possible on glass and synthetic glass (plexiglass) with acrylics, permanent markers and uniposca....
http://www.infosito.info/copper/albums/userpics/normal_estate.jpg
http://www.infosito.info/copper/albums/userpics/normal_mucha2.jpg http://www.infosito.info/copper/albums/userpics/normal_winter_art_nouveau.jpg

NuttnHunee
05-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I painted vases with matching wine glasses using the acrylic craft paint. You can see examples of this method with a process called One Stroke Painting. There's a clear sealer that is painted over the areas you paint. The to "set" the paint so that it doesn't easily come off, put the glass in a cold oven, turn on to 350 degrees, back 10 minutes, then let cool inside the oven.

HRH Goldie
05-22-2004, 09:20 AM
You're obviously wanting to experiment with acrylics so I thought I would post this photo. I have done lots of these in the past but all seem to disappear to friends and family. It is rock but you must not use sandstone (as it crumbles and the acrylic rubs off). Then I varnish with a gloss yachy varnish as I put them in the garden. Many people put them in porches or fireplaces or just in a corner of a house or rockery to cheer an otherwise dull corner.
This one isn't very realistic so its probably the reason no-one has asked me for it. Its great creating a 3D painting and sculpture combined and its very satisfying.
Hope it gives you ideas.
Christine ;)