PDA

View Full Version : Not too sure about this one.

Sumafra
09-15-2001, 06:28 PM
Here is my first real attempt at doing figures. It's an acrylic on watercolour paper. I started out going for a watercolour look, ie diluting the paint, then went on to slightly thicker paint. Never got to full-fledged thick paint.

I trying to decide whether to leave like this or go into it with thick paint and make it more 'painterly', but I am hesitating because if I do that I will be reworking the entire thing and I'm already a little bored with it. It needs a few touch-ups in shadow areas on the boys. Other than that, the grass is bothering me but as I said, if I start there I will end up either ruining the painting or doing a major reworking, and I'm not sure I'm up to it.

Any suggestions anyone?

:confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2001/Boys_lores.JPG

vallarta
09-15-2001, 07:41 PM
If your dissatisfied with the painting it might be a good practice board to try glazes over it to give the various components more depth.
vallarta

bug
09-18-2001, 04:32 PM
Hey this is great really enjoy this! well done:)

ArtyHelen
09-18-2001, 04:40 PM
This is charming, Sumafra!
I would leave it just as it is!
Have you ever thought about illustrating children's books? I can just see this in a beautiful book for kids! ( You know, the type that we 'grown-ups want to buy, too... or is that just me? :D )

Helen

Wally's Mom
09-19-2001, 04:15 PM
I agree with ArtyHelen -- I like this just the way it is, it does remind me of a children's book illsustration.

Sumafra
09-19-2001, 11:48 PM
Thank you for the kind comments. I'll have to think about it a while longer. I think I'll put it aside for a while and come back to it later. See what I think then. :)

CarlyHardy
09-24-2001, 01:27 PM
The only thing that bothers me about this is the conflicting styles...the background has a folk art look (not really realistic and in flat color) and the boys have a look of realism.

carly

LDianeJohnson
09-29-2001, 07:02 AM
Sumafra

Whenever you hit a situation like this you have three choices as I see it:

- Stop, and leave it as it is. Work on another piece of like kind to solve some of your issues.

- Stop, and leave it as it is. Do studies on the side to solve some of your subject/painting issues, then go back and paint into the piece.

- Look at this piece as a practice page. Push all the areas you feel are weak even overworking it if you have to. This is the solution I would recommend. Doing this will help you 1. know when to stop on your next painting, 2. force t you to work on the problem areas, 3. give you confidence the next time, 4. take the pressure off of this painting as being a final-finished piece, and 5. help you not be afraid to apply the paint.

If the grass is a problem, paint grass for a few days to see how it grows, and how many ways you can represent it in paint, as well as paint it appropriate to the style of your painting. Do this anytime you hit a "wall" with your painting.

Diane

Sumafra
09-29-2001, 04:34 PM
Carly, thank you for a very useful comment. I had not though about 'style'. This is something new for me. I usually do florals a the odd landscape. I showed it to several other artists this weekend and they all said they thought it was a really nice 'stylized' painting. Kind of fits with what you said. I wasn't thinking of slylized vs realism when I did it, I just knew that the background was flat but I was getting bored with it and didn't feel up to a serious reworking. I feel that if I start reworking it, I'm going to end up having to rework the whole thing, you know how one thing leads to another and so on. But it has caused me to question and think about the 'style' that I would like to portrait in my paintings. Anyway, thanks for the comment. I am going t leave it for a while, might even list it on Ebay. If nothing happens, then one of these days, I might feel up to reworking it. The way I see it, every painting is a learning experience and I think I learned something here.

Suzette

leesmith
09-30-2001, 12:01 AM
Hi Suzette,

I like this very much as is.

There is a quiet stillness about it that I find soothing.

The boys are rendered nicely and the light especially so since you don't usually do figures. The simplicity of it, I think works regardless that you might have liked to use a thicker application of paint.

I think if you are bored with it and don't care to completely rework, to put is aside for a few days would be good.

tammy
10-01-2001, 01:03 AM
Ok, so I'm gonna be the weird one but I like it just like it is!
Great job!

Sumafra
10-02-2001, 12:01 AM
Thanks Lee and Tammy. I think I'm going to list it on Ebay and see what happens.

tammy
10-02-2001, 11:27 AM
Another thing is I love those tennis shoes on the boy at the fountain! What are those? Nikes? :)
And those little socks, They're so cute! Very good rendering.

Sumafra
10-05-2001, 02:19 AM
Thanks Tammy. Guess what I forgot to do? One of the shoes had the laces undone and I was going to do that last and then I forgot. I really must go back and put that in, that was so cute.;)