PDA

View Full Version : art is the spirits voice

nick
09-15-2001, 01:10 PM
Several times since Tuesday I have taken up my brush or pencil seeking solace. Painting is a cathartic, healing activity. Then I became troubled by the incongruity of my actions: how could I seek to comfort myself when all around me swirled such inexpressible grief and torment? So I imagined what I should wish for were I suddenly to be taken.
I would expect those who loved me to mourn of course, they are the ones who are left with such gaping holes in their lives while I would be in a place where there are no tears. But to those who must go on living I would want to say - "live more, fill up that void with life."
For now we are the expression here of their lives, they live in our memories, our children, our hopes for a better world.
I remembered that painting is one way for the spirit to speak so I must let my spirit soar. The tears that fall on the paper become part of the design, the trembling hand defines the form. We who are left often feel guilt just because we live, that is natural. But our continuation carries a responsibility too. In the future when I am overcome with that familiar reluctance to paint, to work, to resolve a problem, I hope I may be able to remember last Tuesday and pick up my brush with joy, to give expression to my soul - because I can.

NorahT
09-15-2001, 05:07 PM
Well spoken! Welcome to Wetcanvas :)

Leaflin
09-15-2001, 05:49 PM
Well said Nick.
Thank you.

MissMouse
09-15-2001, 09:32 PM
Welcome to WC . Nicely said ....