PDA

View Full Version : Surf 2.

Gillette
05-15-2004, 05:05 AM
This is my latest surf painting.
It is 1000x750mm Acrylic on stretched canvas.
I put this on the uploader yesterday and transferred to ''ēlipboard', and now I don't know how to put it into this post.I printed out instructions, and uploaded the Thumbnail size, should I have kept it larger?, I know max is 100K.
Sorry will try harder next time.
C&C always welcome. Thanks for looking.
Jane.

laudesan
05-16-2004, 03:26 AM
Gilberte this is wonderful..

Only thing that bothers me is that harsh line across the centre.. Kinda cuts the painting in half..

ripvanblair
05-16-2004, 04:11 AM
Nice action you've achieved, I agree about the line otherwise--------well done------Alan

Marty C
05-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi Jane,
I am most impressed, there is some wonderful action going on in this wave.

The foreground (forewave?) area is well done, good colour gradation and textural variation and the highlights and shading are also very well handled.

Two things - the very distinct line as already mentioned and I need say no more, and the cascading foam - the foam is all directed downward in to the water.
In a real situation there is an explosion of foam upwards as well and this is missing in this view. Unless the wave has just broken the horizon line would not be visible as you have shown but would be obscured by a foam maelstrom.
Otherwise the colour and movement in this are fabulous, very well done indeed.

Gillette
05-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi to Judy-Joy, Alan and Marty C,
I am so lucky to get such wonderful C&C's, I have felt ' out on a limb' for so long and now via this wonderful WC, I feel I belong to a world of great people.
I have noted all remarks, and will duly attend to my painting.
It's marvellous how when things are pointed out to one, they become so obvious.
At my age, time is not on my side, and I must rush and complete my 120 (at least) paintings!
Big thanks to all,
Jane.

laudesan
05-16-2004, 10:58 PM
LOL Gillette, I know what you mean about ime not being on our side..:D:D

120 paintings aye?? Why 120???

Gillette
05-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi Judy-Joy, you are but a spring chicken!!!
Somewhere I have just read , I think in one of Marty C comments, that 'we have to paint 120 before we get a good one',he was quoting someone else,perhaps if he sees this he may repeat it.
I have just sold a mountainscape, so keep the funds coming in and I'll keep painting!!
Jane.

Alan Cross
05-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Nice work Jane lots of power in that wave....
Alan :)

laudesan
05-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi Judy-Joy, you are but a spring chicken!!!
Somewhere I have just read , I think in one of Marty C comments, that 'we have to paint 120 before we get a good one',he was quoting someone else,perhaps if he sees this he may repeat it.
I have just sold a mountainscape, so keep the funds coming in and I'll keep painting!!
Jane.

Geesh you have SOLD one!!!!!!!

The only painting I have sold in the last 12 months was a commission my SIL wanted for her MIL's Birthday..:D

Marty C
05-17-2004, 02:27 AM
LOL Gillette, I know what you mean about ime not being on our side..:D:D

120 paintings aye?? Why 120???
Hi JJ,
That number is from Larry Seiler, it is the number of paintings he says you have to do before you turn out your first really good one! Seems daunting but I wouldn't be surprised if he is right on the money.

laudesan
05-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Geesh I only have 100 to go..:D ;)

Anything Larry says has got to be right!!!

Look at his awesome work..:)

katz
05-17-2004, 07:32 PM
HI Gillette,
It is really beautiful. I love the darks and depth in the wave.
Well done.
Katz

Gillette
05-18-2004, 02:37 AM
Thanks to Alan and Katz for the nice response, thanks Marty for advising the quote is from Larry, and JJ for your response.
I have removed the dark line and added masses of foam and thanks to you all it looks a lot better. I really don't want to sell, and yet if I can ,I must, I have got so many large (huge) blank canvasses and my other half makes very pointed comments, the amount of space they all take up!, also I seem to spend his allowance as well as mine on art supplies, I've never been able to do things by halves!! The walls throughout our house are covered in other artists paintings, over the years and during my world travels I have collected a lot of art
Thanks again to all, I bless the day I found WC!.
Jane.

Eugene Veszely
05-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Jane wen I first saw this I thought it was one of Marty's paintings !! :o Great job :)

Larry actuallyy said it takes about 120 paintings to learn about painting :)...will look for the exact quote :)

Dark_Shades
05-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Can really sense the force and power ....... great movement too, and like the added green

Eugene Veszely
05-18-2004, 01:08 PM
The secret then? To do 120 paintings. The ACT of painting will increase your powers of observation. The sheer quantity of the ongoing effort will develop by necessity a working routine. That same quantity effort will bring an inherent level of excellence and mastery...with nature becoming your teacher.

We forget that such is not necessarily easy...but the difficulty is not in and of itself a sign that pushing ahead regardless is fruitless. Claude Monet once admitted-
Quote:
"I am very depressed and deeply disgusted withpainting. It is really a continual torture."

If we are part of this brotherhood....it is not the perceived success alone that we share, but the attempt, and the continual relentless effort to advance, to excel...to embrace the torment! hahahaaa....

I am not suggesting we can't advance ourselves in many ways including head knowledge....but I feel I have learned more in the 6-7 years painting outdoors observing nature directly than all my 20 years instudio! Yet...if you paint outdoors...you might find it useful to observe a few "how-to" hints....but, nature will always throw something different at you, and you will have to learn to respond. You fail....you fail again and again, 'till you begin to succeed. You might have 5 failures and 1 good one. Then eventually for every six you have half that are good. Eventually, something happens in your soul...and a gift develops and most works turn out.

And Larry goes on :)...it is in this thread...http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86926&page=2&pp=15&highlight=paintings+redfield

Gillette
05-19-2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks Dark shades, and Chameleon for your interest. also for the ref to Larry Seiler, Chameleon. I have saved for ref.
Now if I can work the Quick Links uploader here goes!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2004/38894-surf2_cr.jpg_red.jpg

It looks as if it worked, I'll check if it's the right one when posted. I have repainted as per suggestions, comments please.
Jane.

Eugene Veszely
05-19-2004, 06:59 AM
It now brings you into the wave...I think it has inproved it :)

Marty C
05-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi Jane,
Well done, much improved. It is always amazing to me how the last 2 to 5% of a painting is the make or break of a work, the small features and details which are so vital in ensuring success.

Gillette
05-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Many thanks to Chameleon and Martyc for comments and advice. I must admit I feel pretty chuffed, and when I have finished all these beaches lying around here, I will probably return to my beloved ocean.
Jane.

Eugene Veszely
05-21-2004, 11:54 AM
... and when I have finished all these beaches lying around here, I will probably return to my beloved ocean.
Jane.

For more reference material no doubt !! ;)