PDA

View Full Version : Whistlers Bistro

scotchpie
05-15-2004, 05:39 AM
Hi

Here's a paintings I've just finished (I think) that I got from the Reference Library.

Unfortunately the photo quality has lost a lot The road way is a lot lighter than shownhere (a dull grey).

"Whistlers Bistro" Acrylic on Canvas 20x30 inches

Andrew

rickymanchester
05-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi Andrew,

Really like your painting... Thre realism is great and I can just imagie sitting out there and having a lovely lunch!!

It would be good for a beginner like me to know what paints you used, and if you have any pictures of the painting whilst it was in progress... I find it very useful to see the paintings at different stages as many people show with their WIP's.

Hope to see more of your work.

Kind Regards

odge
05-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Andrew,

I really like all the colours you have used under the umbrellas (I assume they are flowers in pots).

The variation between the bright red and the dark grey of the building is also good.

I bet you're really pleased with how this turned out.

Well done.

Jo

Moosehead
05-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Love the bold colours. You've made them work very well. I bet it looks even better full size. I'd love to there drinking a cold pint (although I know you like them at room temp. in the UK).

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Bright - pretty, loads of light. Love it!

HRH Goldie
05-18-2004, 05:27 AM
Lovely rendition - only thing I would say is that the right hand side of the painting is in heavy shade so I would have shaded the far right red umbrella a little more down the right side so you can tell where the sun is coming from - other than that - well done -
You've painted it just in time for Euro 2004 and I guess this is what a lot of people will be doing and the red white and blue is very symbolic.
Have a pint on me lol! :clap:
Christine

Rose Baggs
05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Really nice painting!! Nicely rendered, love the moody bright colors! :clap:

Lemnus
05-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Great attention to form, line, and perspective. I think that's what makes it so realisitic without relying on excessive details. You are allowing me to focus on just color and form without distracting me with small stuff or disturbing me with poorly rendered architecture. I think sometimes people think they can abandon proper draftsmanship when they are going for a looser, less refined style. But in my opinion, you can never drop that. An out of focus line still needs to be straight. Most of the impressionists were masters at this - there is a high level of realism in their work because they still stayed grounded in perspective, despite all the liberties they took with brushwork and color to add motion and life. Agree with others that I can feel myself here.