PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Acrylics...

Georgi
05-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Hi everyone....I'm relatively new to WetCanvas, having posted in watercolour and figures forum and I've posted a couple of watercolour attempts and a pencil drawing in the respective forums. I'm not only a newcomer to WC, but to all things connected to actively painting, drawing etc.

I'm attaching hereto an acrylic painting I did a few weeks ago...it was my third attempt with acrylics...it's of a photo a friend and I took...however, as you can plainly see...the boat is way out of 'whack', and doesn't 'sit/lie' right...I know this is not the only thing wrong with the painting and I would appreciate all your critiques and tips etc. Is there a way of 'taking out' the boat without making it obvious that I've deleted it...such as sanding back...or another method?

This was done on 'canvas board' and the actual size is 16' x 12'....thank you in anticipation of your responses.

Lee :)

dspinks
05-15-2004, 02:22 AM
If you've painted in relatively thin, smooth layers, you can cover the boat with a couple of layers of white, feathering a bit into the surrounding area and then, when dry, work over with the midground pattern. If you decide to put the boat back in, but in a different perspective or size, you can do so right over your midground. Sketch it out on paper in different ways until you find the perspective that pleases you, then block out the silouhette lightly with white and work in the details and shadows.

Debra

Georgi
05-15-2004, 03:03 AM
Hello Debra, thanks for your tips...greatly appreciated...I'll give some thought to whether I put the boat back in...I would like to do so...I never thought about sketching it separately...what a good idea! :)

Lee