PDA

View Full Version : Creaky Old Boat

Yax
05-14-2004, 06:26 PM
11x14" oil on canvas. This is a painting of an early morning scene. The waves are rocking an old boat that is tied near the shore. Yax

imlayte
05-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Nice mood and colors in this one Yax. I wasn't sure of the light source in this one but I guess that's it behind the cloud close to the horizon and that's why this side of the boat is quite dark and hard to make out details. Or maybe it's my screen? Nice work.

Howard

laudesan
05-15-2004, 02:29 AM
It shows up fine on my monitor..:) Beautiful.. I just wonder seeing as the sun has that early morning gloww.. Wouldn't it be reflected on the waves as such.. golden..

I think the side of the boat and the shaddow in the water could go a little darker...

Though I can't be sure as I can't see your painting in the reply window..

If you wouldn't mind using the uploader found in the quicklinks drop down on the right hand top of the page, then we can see your painting in the reply window and give a more indepth critique..:)

Yax
05-15-2004, 04:16 AM
Thanks for your comments. I did however think that the light souce was obvious in this one. Yax

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/2437-Studio_painting_05_14_04.jpg

laudesan
05-15-2004, 04:21 AM
that is better ....thank you.. :)

Yes the light source IS obvious too me, I just wondered if it should have a yellow wash over the waves..

Is this pic darker than real life???

As I said theis is hauntingly beautiful!! :)

LisaArt
05-15-2004, 05:48 AM
Hi Yax, This is GORGEOUS! :clap:
Love that sky and it gives me such pleasure to look at this painting.

brrice
05-16-2004, 02:31 AM
Well done Yax. When a subject is backlit like this one it creates an interesting effect. The boat is in shadow but the dispersed light caused by the clouds is spread out and not reflected in a narrow band of golden light like a typical sutrise or sunset. My own painting a few pages back in this marine forum titled 1935 flour sack sails has a similar effect.This painting has a feed good atmosphere. I can imagine the waves rippling against that boat and it is slowly rocking back and forth.

I like this painting, great sky and overall effect

ripvanblair
05-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Serene setting the promise of a nice day ahead, what could be better--------well done-------Alan

Marty C
05-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Hi Yax,
An absolutely beautiful sky, perfectly sets the mood and the lighting for this piece. I like everything about this one. Very well done. :clap:

Yax
05-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks again everyone. Every now and then you do a painting, and feel that you have done your part in communicating the message. This painting hopefully reflects the mood that I intended. Yax

xavier
05-17-2004, 07:55 PM
You just keep improving with each new effort,nice work!

Eugene Veszely
05-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks again everyone. Every now and then you do a painting, and feel that you have done your part in communicating the message. This painting hopefully reflects the mood that I intended. Yax

It does..I can feel the mood and I love these subjects :)

Dark_Shades
05-18-2004, 12:29 PM
this is lovely Yax...... great mood, effect and colour - love the highlit cloud, and you can just imagine the boat bobbing along with the ripples

great stuff