PDA

View Full Version : The Boatyard

PETERH
05-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Thought I'd have a go at boats on land! :D

This includes the dreaded people! I don't include these creature much in my paintings, but I decided I should give it a try!

All C & C welcomed!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2004/8730-Boatyard_small.JPG

imlayte
05-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Great and bold work Peter. You have handled the"dreaded people" quite well. They are certainly there but still not obtrusive and do add life to the piece.

Howard

LisaArt
05-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Great work Peter. You handled the people very well
I love the colours and what is going on in this painting.

PETERH
05-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks Howard & Lisa!

Just have to jump over your shadow sometimes! :)

brrice
05-16-2004, 02:44 AM
Every time I see your paintings I appreciate watercolor more and more . You handle the media so well and this one is another great effort. You out did yourself again. I said before about your work, you have the ability to limit detail; but with a great skill pull off a painting that lets the imagination fill in the story. Good work!

ripvanblair
05-16-2004, 04:19 AM
Very bright and busy just like a boatyard should be, nice one Peter-------well done-------Alan

PETERH
05-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Thanks Brian & Alan!

The imagination is what it's all about.

Leaving nothing to the imagination doesn't really involve the viewer - so the painting is not "complete". However, stretching the imagination of the viewer is not without problems.

When it doesn't stretch as far as that of the artist, the result could be a turn-off. But sometimes, it's worth the risk, because often the viewer needs to have his imagination stretched - if only to know where the limit is! :)

End of philosophizing - back to painting!

I modified this one a bit, to take away some contrast in the trees (adding more blue sky) and accentuating the red of the hull.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2004/8730-Boatyard_2_small.JPG

Marty C
05-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi Peter,
There is lots of life in this work with enough detail to suggest even more. Well done on the people, a subject I am yet to tackle. Very skilful.

Yax
05-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Wonderful painting. The people a great, and add to the total. Yax

PETERH
05-17-2004, 01:45 AM
Thanks Marty & Yax,

I hope now to include more figures in my paintings.
There's really no reason to be afraid of painting anything - the process is the same, and I think it literally adds "life" to the scene.

Thanks for the encouragement!