PDA

View Full Version : Instruction

Moosehead
05-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi. I started painting in acrylics a couple of months ago. I'm quite enjoying it. So far my instruction has come from books and WC. I have not had any art instruction at all. I would like to take some formal instruction, but am not in a position to spend a lot of money on it. I paint as a hobby (although if I became good enough to sell, I wouldn't be adverse to the idea). My questions are:

1. Would you recommend fewer one on one classes, over several group lessons (the cost would be about the same)?

2. Would you recommend taking the instruction fairly early on, so I don't have to "unlearn" possible bad habits, or would I get more benefit by taking them later. That is, should I continue with self-instruction until I've reached a plateau with it and then take formal instruction?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

frisbee1948
05-14-2004, 03:44 PM
I take painting classes at my local community college. It costs about $50 per semester (15 classes). The instructor is wonderful.

I would recommend taking classes as soon as possilbe. That way you won't be spending time and money unlearning bad habits.

odge
05-16-2004, 01:09 AM
I have to admit I have come a lot further since I've been going to lessons than I did on my own, but I think how well you do is based on the teacher. If you find a teacher who works for you then you will do a lot better than with one you don't respect.

As to whether you have group lessons or individual, I would say there are advantages and disadvantages to both. In group lessons, you get to see what everyone else is doing and can learn from them as well, but you will get less personal attention, whereas with individual lessons the reverse applies.

Well that's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Jo

Moosehead
05-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replys. I think I'll go ahead and get started on formal instruction soon rather than waiting. Books can give you a lot of theory, but in my case I think it will help to have someone in person to let me know what I'm doing right, and what I'm doing wrong. I also recently visited a gallery with an exhibition of student's work and it was much better than mine.

Ursus17
05-16-2004, 10:02 AM
I started getting some individual instruction and what that has done for me is to discipline me to be sure to paint regularly and not just during class. She gives me "homework" to do in between sessions unlike my group class. Although it doesn't matter if I do it, I like to do it get her feedback, plus it means I'm painting regularly, which is the whole purpose.

Also, in a group class I took, I was afraid to make a mistake because some people there were so much better than me. In an individual session, mistakes are great because we can discuss them in depth and learn from them. I don't feel shame that I was the only one who couldn't paint x, y, or z.

Let us see what you paint!

Moosehead
05-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks Ursus 17. I took the liberty of viewing your threads and saw that you posted a similar question a while ago. There were a lot of good responses. I'm going to go ahead and get some one on one instruction. I'll start in the next week or two, rather than waiting until later. The consensus seems to be to start instruction early.