PDA

View Full Version : need ideas

Penny220
05-14-2004, 08:20 AM
I need ideas for a simple but WOW painting that can be done in 4 - 6 hours max. This will be painted outdoors in public and must be completed by the end of the day as it will be auctioned off the same evening.

Thanx,
Penny

Keith Russell
05-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Are you going to be outdoors, in a relatively attractive location?

Why not just paint en plein aire, whatever's in front of your easel?

(Fifty dollars please...)

K

Colorfast
05-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Great Idea. But Penny, if ya get to sit down for this one, then why not do a picture of your foot.
( fifty one dollars please)
Dave

Caterwallin'
05-14-2004, 11:27 AM
What is the auction for?

Sam

Maryl Lehman
05-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I think you should paint a wolf! You're good at them and people like 'em! :)

~Maryl

Colorfast
05-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Penny Dear:
Did ya come up with an idea or do we have to split the fifty bucks? Maryl had the best idea though. Bring out the real animals in you. I think you should do one and call it "Wolfman Jack". Well, maybe not. You know, they will go over with a bang for any fundraiser.
We do try to have fun with life here on the WC don't we?
Later, Dave

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-15-2004, 01:54 AM
You could do a more poster art style. Sort of like a poster for a movie where the wolf is merely silhouetted against a moon or something and he's sort of on a hill. I don't know. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :crying:

Tim

prepsage
05-15-2004, 03:13 AM
I agree with Maryl as well. Do something you're good at and confident in. Most people are usually wowed just seeing a picture come alive in front of their eyes.

Penny220
05-15-2004, 07:53 AM
The fund raiser is for the annual art show. From 9 - 3 you pick a spot in the park and paint/draw. At 3 the paintings are displayed and from 5-7 they are auctioned off.

Locally there are some serious art collectors and artists alike but this is the part of the public that you don't ever see. I don't paint locally because the area is really depressed and the majority of the population is quite poor. This will be a coming out of sorts for me because I just moved here a few years ago.

I don't want to paint plen-aire because it's downtown in the park and there really isn't much to paint other than a court house that has been painted alot over many years. Thanks for the suggestion though Keith.

I don't want to get into an eight hour project and run out of time but I do want a high level of detail showing off what an airbrush can really do. There is one other airbrush artist locally who does automotive, he is average at best but in the last couple of years I see more and more vehicles he has painted so there is a market for both fine art and auto murals that I will be introducing myself too.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Penny220
05-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Now I really do need help. While re-reading the flier to a friend I caught the words "inspired views" so I asked the stupid question and now I have the dreaded answer. The assignment is to paint views of the town while painting in the park. The problem is I can't think of a single thing in the town that I would care to paint. I'm hoping I can somehow get around this. At the moment though...should I spend the day painting pictures of flowers? The town if very small and consists of about 10 historical houses a Wal-Mart and two grocery stores, the rest of the town is even more boring. If I expand the views to the county I could at least do waterfalls and I have quite a few reference photos already for that.

What do ya think? I'm thinking about putting on my toe ring and seriously considering Dave's idea, my foot would be downtown and frankly more "inspiring" than the town itself.

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Is this something you have to do? If it bothered me to paint a required topic I might just bail and say no thanks. Unless... you stood to gain way more by painting a boring scene.

You could do a close-up of flowers somewhere in the park. Or just a whole board full of clouds and tell 'em it's a skydiver's view as he/she is falling toward the town. HEHEHEHHEHEHEH

yeah, I'm not much help. :mad:

Tim

prepsage
05-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Well I guess

#1.Paint what you like to paint. You can claim anything to be an inspiring view, no one would be the wiser. Although it is good practice to tackle subject matter that you're not interested in, it's not in public.

#2 Decide how you want to represent youself to the public. Being this is your first appearance in the town as an artist, you might think about doing something a little diverse.

Do you want to appeal to the collectors or the public? (I know many art collectors shun airbrushing in general, so that may not even be an option). As for the public's response, I'm sure the minute they find out you can paint they'll be asking you to do everything from painting their shop walls to designing tattoos. Well that's what I get....

Penny220
05-15-2004, 06:25 PM
The letters get mailed out on Monday and I will take a look at what they have to say. Right now I have two ideas although I am seriously considering Tim's. One is the town in my rear-view mirrow which is how most people really feel. The other more tasteful is expanding the definition of "town" to the entire town and doing a waterfall scene. Other than that I'm miffed. Why on earth would they put a limit on an artist for a fund-raiser? My point of going is simply to say "I'm here and for hire" which is one of the points of the fund raiser (artist gains exposure while event raises money). I would rather show people "what" I do rather than do what they tell me I should. What do people think of me painting a wolf anyway and saying "oh well". It's not like I'm getting paid, I just recieve a portion of what ever the auction price is.

Tim, I agree, this is posted here because like you I would have a very hard time painting something I didn't like.

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-16-2004, 02:15 AM
LOL! Man, that rear view mirror line cracked me up! hehehehhee

That would be funny!

But I guess it might tick some folks off when they "got it". hehehehhe

Well, I can't think of anything. Do what you do and title it "A Wolf In [town name here]" heheheheh.

Good luck with it. Mine is next week. Hope it turns out okay.

Tim

Colorfast
05-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Dear Penny: I?ve got an idea that would be the life of the party! What if ya do a composite of every thing in town that the town stands for, so to speak. You know, like do an airbrush drawing that is a view from outside the town as others see it. Show the little courthouse, the bank, the grocery and so on. What ya think?
I'll post a few in another tread, so not to bog down your querry. I have produced over 65 commemorative maps over the past 12 yrs. You start out with all the different reference pics and place them all in their logical location and draw things around them that help make up the town. The Mayor, the Fire Chief, the Baker, etc. ( Oh, leave out the things that everyone wished would just go away, like the junkyard & the dump.)
I have produced these in line art, design markers and airbrush, all to make them interesting. If ya think about it, this could be the life of the Art Party, in the Park. ( WOW...I just named all the rest of the fundraisers like this for artist. ART PARTY IN THE PARK) Everyone will watch as you add each piece to the art. (What will she do next? Is she goin? to put Lawyer Thomas on there too?) You do have a Town Gossip don?t ya?
I try not to say something? unless I can show ya.. I'll post some later to give you the idea. Enjoy?.
Later, Dave
PS This is just between us, so don't say anything to anybody about this, OK?

Penny220
05-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Dave, I like those maps and yours looks great. I only have 6 hours from start to finish and because this is painting in public I need a 4 - 5 hour design in order to get it completed.

I have come to a decision about what I am going to paint. Once I get some sketches worked out I will post them here. I talked to a local artist and friend who said that my wildlife would be great and fit in as well. It's my perception and perspective of the area so I was thinking about a bobcat, raccoon and wolf. We use to have wolves and they are coming back, we do have lots of bobcats and raccoons so all is well with the world. My intent is to do what I do airbrush/wildlife which is why I was shying away from the buildings and such to begin with.

If anyone wishes to email me ref. pics of bobcats and raccoons I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks for all the help. I will keep you up to date.

Penny

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Penny,

I can probably email a few royalty-free pics. I'll try to remember this afternoon.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Penny,

Just emailed a couple of meg worth of ref pics. Maybe you can use one or two.

Tim

Penny220
05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks Tim, I'm downloading them now. 5.2 meg will take a bit with dial-up but don't get me wrong, they are MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again,
Penny

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Dial up???? Why you.... hehehehhehe

Man, didn't realize it was 5 meg. But I snagged a few good ones from this site (don't worry, this is a subscribe per year site of royalty free pics).

The baby wolf is so cool. He's by this patch of yellow flowers and he's howling. heheheheheh It'd be cool to raise one from a puppy. I'll bet it'd be sort of tame.

Tim

Milo
05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Whats the site and what does it run Tim?

Milo

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-18-2004, 07:13 PM
It is www.clipart.com and it's something like $150/yr. It is okay but I've seen much better pics on some photo sites but it has some decent ones but it is also a site of clipart, fonts and sounds. I used it when creating the "Mississippi River Adventure" website for the Army Corps of Engineers (a six month ordeal but worth it).

Tim

Penny220
05-18-2004, 10:47 PM
I would like to thank everyone for the ref. pics. I will post my idea sketches as soon as I get around to drawing them. Thank you also for the information Tim, I was going to ask the same question as Milo.

I recieved the information letter from the show/benifit today. They were nice enough to send me ONE admission to the auction. The admission price is $15.00. My thoughts on this are that a) the admission price is a bit steep and b) they should have enclosed 2 admission tickets. Regardless if an artist is married, in a relationship or wants a friend or relative, I would think every artist would want someone to be at their side during the reception. Just my thoughts, what does everyone else think?

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Seems as if they are afraid to mail out another small piece of paper. What is their cost? 5 cents? You don't lose by doing that - you gain! Ah, well.

Yeah, 2 tickets for an artist makes sense.

Tim

Maryl Lehman
05-19-2004, 01:37 AM
I definitely agree! Two tickets would have been appropriate!

~Maryl

Penny220
05-23-2004, 05:13 PM
here goes my "idea", the background will be different, I am open at this point so suggestions are welcome. Remember, start to finish I have 6 hours to paint this in public. Thanks Meryl and Tim for the ref. Suggestions for titles are open at this point too so jump in everyone.

I'm posting my digital reference because any sketch I make isn't likely to show up. I will be painting this prior to actually painting it in the park to make sure I can get everything done appropriately in the time frame.

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Man, they are all looking in the same direction! Spooky.

Um, I guess a snowy background to save time so you can get to the animals might be cool but that is just my idea.

Best of luck to you!

Tim

Penny220
06-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Well I survived. A couple of people painted a few flowers but for the most part everyone used the buildings of downtown as their subject. I was known as the "rebel" but as I explained, each of the animals is indiginious the the area. OK, so you have to drive about an hour away for the timber wolves but they use to live here and they are coming back. Anyway, after painting for 5 hours it started to rain, fortunately, my husband had just come down to see me and we loaded everything up quick, I took it home and finished it in just enough time to make it back down to the reception. The reception LOL, well this was the first event and lets just say it didn't work out to well. The buyers never showed up. The auctioneer was a cattle auctioneer (I hope he volunteered and wasn't paid) he didn't have a clue about art or art buyers. The auction was cancelled, only 3 pieces were actually auctioned. I guess a couple other pieces were sold outright. I was told that mine was the most talked about and appreciated although I was oblivious to this.

As far as the event, they will do it again. It's terrible how it worked out for everyone and I feel really bad for the promoter, she tried her best. She excepted ideas from the participants and we will do it again.

As far as my painting. Oh what a nightmare, I hit the ugly stage and couldn't get out of it, time was ticking away and the more it did the more nervous I got and the more mistakes I made. The end result is what I knew from the beginning, I could not achieve the detail I am use to in that amount of time and I would never be satisfied without it. I did an eleventh hour save to this that I am very proud of. I pulled it together in the last minute :) but as far as the painting itself, well, there are some serious things wrong with it. With the exception of one BIG thing (I won't say what) it's OK for the time spent but no where near the quality I would have liked it. Next time I will do a simpler subject and use the 6 hours to make it happen to my liking. I may do this painting again and take my time because I really do like the composition of it.

C&C welcomed.

ProfessorGreibowitz
06-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Penny,

heheheheheh Sounds like my demo relived! Well, I think the painting turned out really great for 5 hours of work. I work so slowly that I probably would get half way done in 5 hours and tell 'em too bad. hehehhehe

Well, I see one thing that looks a bit off to me which I'm wondering is the BIG thing you mentioned but I WON'T say (heheheheh) unless you want any comments like that. I may be wrong too! But other than that it looks very striking and unique.

Too bad about the auction. Well, you did a fine job and if you redo it, it will be a great painting!

Tim

Caterwallin'
06-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Penster, considering what you went through with the rain and all, this painting turned out great! Maybe you should have painted some Guernsey's!

Is there a plan for another auction?

Sam

Penny220
06-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Yes, this will be done again but differently next time. It's hard to start up a new event. Suggestions were kicked around and I think they will make it work much better next time around. Nobody wanted her to give up on it, it seemed like the right thing to do it just didn't work.