PDA

View Full Version : Dinghy

laudesan
05-14-2004, 01:40 AM
This is my first effort in a long while, but I am not really happy with how the sand came out.

The sand at Wynnum Beach is a dark muddy sludge, but I think I should have taken more artistic licence and used Raw Sienna instead of Raw umber as I think it looks a little muddy..:(

Critique and comments are invited and definitely appreciated..

Thank you for looking..

Arches 9" x 12" CP M.Graham Watercolours..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2004/22284-Ding_Boat3_opt.jpg

Marty C
05-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi JJ,
The boat is fabulous. Staying true to the real colour is probably not a bad thing, you don't want anything to compete for attention, a drab beach serves to emphasise the form and colour of the boat.
Crop the sky by two thirds and have a look at the resulting composition - the boat really jumps out at the viewer and the resulting format change serves to highlight the boat's dimensions. Just a thought. Very nice work.

laudesan
05-14-2004, 04:29 AM
Thanks Marty is does look good cropped, I will keep that in mind..

I forgot to put the shadows in on the side of the boat..:o
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2004/22284-Ding_Boat4opt.jpg

They are a little darker IRL..;)

imlayte
05-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi Judy, You've done very well with the boat painting, I like it. It's not too late for the RS, glaze it in the foreground sand to warm it up and then the background sand will look a little more normal i.e. pushed back. About the white boat or anything else that is white, rule of thumb is---the shadow side must be darker than the lightest part of the sky which is the light source. So go darker with that.Then cast shadows can go a little darker still. Look for places to use some intense bits of color e.g. the gulls legs/bills yellow/orange, the drainhole stain BS etc. It doesn't have to look like a xmas tree but enough to hold the viewer's attention. And a bird in the sky is good.

I had fun doing watercolors with you guys last summer and hope to be doing them again this summer. So will see you there too. Good Luck.

Howard

LisaArt
05-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi Judy, This excellent work. :clap: Love the comp and colours. The little birds on the dingy are so cute...

laudesan
05-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Thank you Lisa...

Thank you Howard for the excellent advice.. I shall indeed try it.. :)

ripvanblair
05-16-2004, 04:09 AM
This is nice JJ, nice feeling of space in this one, I don't think the sands look bad at all, a very nice painting--------well done--------Alan