PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening without pain

K Taylor-Green
05-14-2004, 12:47 AM
I know that at some time, you guys have probably done this subject to death, but I wasn't here. So here goes. Pastel pencil sharpeners, the real deal, please. I need just one, that won't chew, grind, mutilate, or destroy my pencils! Just one that is reliable. Please?

Pinecone Conniff
05-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Good question Kate! I am tired of carving them with a razor blade!!
Annette

K Taylor-Green
05-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Good question Kate! I am tired of carving them with a razor blade!!
Annette
ME TOO! I want to keep my fingers, thank you very much. I have a tabletop mounted sharpener, like we used to use in school? (and I'm not saying how long ago that was) I got it because a friend of mine has one. Hers is old. Hers works, mine works once in a while. Usually it just chews them up. I've tried electric, hand-held, even a carpenter's sharpener. I just want one that works ALL the time, not a collection that works when the mood strikes. Am i asking for too much here?

Khadres
05-14-2004, 01:39 AM
I have been having great luck with this one:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0057113000000

The price may seem steep but the pencils you save from chopping and hacking 'em to death will be worth it....this thing adjusts to almost any size pencil and cradles it gently while you choose exactly the type of point you prefer from blunt and rounded to pin pointy. It doesn't oversharpen either...stops as soon as the pencils done to your choice. Doesn't have to be attached to anything, ya just hold it in the left hand and crank with the right.

This sharpens everything from Prismacolors to watercolor pencils to Conte, etc. pastel pencils without pulverizing the "lead".

Well worth the investment.

Kathryn Wilson
05-14-2004, 07:36 AM
That's the one I use too Sooz - it does the most consistent job - although it takes some getting used to pulling out that part of the sharpener.

I did quite a bit of research in the Colored Pencil forum before I bought this one - you might visit over there and see what they have to say - this is of utmost importance to them.

K Taylor-Green
05-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks Sooze and Kat, This is one worth trying, and it's on sale!!!

bnoonan
05-14-2004, 10:56 AM
I also noticed one in the Dakota Pastels brochure (not sure if it's on sale or not). - It's specifically says it's for pastel pencils.

www.dakotapastels.com

Good luck! Barb

Jenny32
05-14-2004, 11:00 AM
I use the Dupont multi-point sharpener as well. It is definitely worth the investment!! I've had it for about a year now and it's still going strong. It handles colored pencil and all sorts of pastel pencils. Definitely a keeper!

- Jenny

Khadres
05-14-2004, 01:20 PM
A friend of mine had this stupid one that worked GREAT....but was shaped like a skull of all things and you stuck the pencils in it's ear, I think it was! Worked wonderfully well until it wore out at an early age and he's been unable to find another like it, BUT it didn't take variable sized pencils, just the ordinary Prismacolor size.

I think this one from Jerry's is about the best for the money and I didn't mention it before, but I've never gotten a lead tip broken off and stuck in the blades like happens with so many others....something that drives me nuts.

Artistammy
05-14-2004, 01:47 PM
I was looking for one for Mother's Day that would sharpen the larger Conte as well. I was having difficulty finding recommendations when my husband came up with a great idea - his bench grinder. It works great. It didn't hurt any of them & I can change the angle anytime I wish. So, if you have a bench grinder hanging around in a workshop.... :D

Mikki Petersen
05-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Now the bench grinder is the best idea I've heard yet! Why didn't I think of that! Geesh! I'm going to steal hubby's right now. This would be great. You could even shape pastel sticks with the grinder and you wouldn't need to go for the point every time, you could do chisel points or flat heads or....
Thanks Tammy! Great mind!

K Taylor-Green
05-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Bench Grinder!! I'll bet Jess has one in his shop. Wait til he finds out I'm going to confiscate it! Tammy, that's a great idea!