PDA

View Full Version : starting in pastels

AndyfromVienna
05-13-2004, 10:10 PM
hey friends,

im going to start to paint in pastels, too, and would appreciate it a lot if some of you could point me to some useful sources on the net, maybe on this site? i dont find my way to easily here yet ....

i usually paint in watercolors and pencil and have startet acrylics a few weeks ago .....

thanks in advance for your help!

*hugs*

Andy

http://www.wasserfarben.at

CarlyHardy
05-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Andy,
the quickest reference you'll find is our Pastel Library located at the top when you open the Pastel Forum. It contains tons of info. Also, just read thru some of the threads here in the General Forum! It's packed with information that will help to get you started.

Then when you have specific questions, post here and you'll find that we have a very sharing, caring group of pastelists here! Everyone is willing to share.

So glad you're checking out pastels....they can be addictive!
carly

EdK
05-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Andy - Welcome. I am a recent member too. Great place. Wish I would have joined earlier. Word of advice - just don't mention chocolates around some of the members here. You'll start something you can't stop ;)

SweetBabyJ
05-13-2004, 11:04 PM
I beg to differ! Chocolates are the PERFECT way to introduce yourself- I'll take those- and nice to meet you Andy! :D A great introductory landscape works, too, though. :D

There's lots and lots of good stuff in the library/archives up above- just try to remember not to post there, 'cause you'll get a faster, more varied response here in the main forum. Another thing to do is browse the Pastel Projects- we've had some good ones, and Kyle just started a new Pastel Riot today- always a fun time. I'm hoping I get to it, but I've two pieces going and two commissions in waiting- and only two weeks to get to the Riot. Something's gotta give and it better not be me!

So... Whatcha thinking about working on? Do you have a surface of preference? We'll try to convert you to Wallis sanded, you know, we're that kind ("Come to the sanded side... come, come....") and what brands of pastels do you prefer to use?

Hi Ed- we're watching you, too, you know.... ;)

Dyin
05-13-2004, 11:06 PM
mmmmm....choc o lat!!!! :rolleyes: :D Welcome to the pastel forum!!! There is so much here to see and try and learn...like Carly said the pastel library above the threads and maybe try the Weekly Sketch thread to join in and get familiar with the pastels. You're going to be so happy you found WC...we sure all are. We do get funny about chocolate though... :D

EdK
05-13-2004, 11:10 PM
See what I mean. :evil:

SweetBabyJ
05-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Hahaha! We're saving a seat for you here in the backrow... you're JUST our type, I can tell.

K Taylor-Green
05-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Ohh, pastels, pastels, the perfect companion with chocolate and Reisling, my favorite white wine!! Andy, you are going to love it here. There is nothing on God's green earth, like this place!! Ok, so I've already had a glass or two, doesn't change my opinion!

AndyfromVienna
05-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Ohh, pastels, pastels, the perfect companion with chocolate and Reisling, my favorite white wine!! Andy, you are going to love it here. There is nothing on God's green earth, like this place!! Ok, so I've already had a glass or two, doesn't change my opinion!

hey Katherine,

Riesling comes originally from my neighbourhood here and Vienna is famous for chocolates!!!!!! Wine and chocolat, and pastels, and all the nice company here ... who could ask for more .... ;-)

i love pastels already, they make a wonderful, smooth look for skintones ...

*hugs*

Andy

Dark_Shades
05-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Riesling comes originally from my neighbourhood here and Vienna is famous for chocolates!!!!!! Wine and chocolat, and pastels, and all the nice company here ... who could ask for more .... ;-)

*hugs*

Andy

Me, thats who ....... more chocolate...... more wine..... more pastels ...... more time (for them all) :D
...... its getting a bit squashed on the back row lol ....... makes it that more friendlier

SweetBabyJ
05-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Riesling is good, but Spatlese is better- and Dawn? I just gave you a whole Toblerone and I SEE you trying to hide those new darks in the triangled packaging! You gotta share things back here- and I need a really good dark green....

AndyfromVienna
05-15-2004, 09:50 PM
its funny how everybody likes Viennese specialties so much!!! o wow! what a nice place!!!

ill be a happy member here ....

*hugs*

Andy

Susan Borgas
05-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Welcome Andy! I think everyone has said it all here………….said so well that I have this vision of everyone in the back row munching on chocolates, sipping wine with a wealth of friendliness and laughter along with a generous amount of information to share. Yep you have come to the right place! :D

Sue

Tom Christopher
05-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Welcome Andy!--there's loads of valuable information on this site. I'll be watching for your work-- I switched from acrylic painting to pastels about a year ago--I have no desire to go back -- Tom

bnoonan
05-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Did someone say chocolate?

b

AndyfromVienna
05-25-2004, 08:03 PM
hey friends,

heres another try in pastels, a lifeportrait, i was just fiddling around more or less, no idea how to get real skintones .... but since im a very experienced portraitist i think it at least ressembels a face ... LOL

hugs

Andy

Kitty Wallis
05-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Waving my own hand made rich warm Dark Green in SBJ's face...come on give me ALL your chocolate.

bogbeast
05-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Andy, welcome! and thank you for the chocolates! But, you can have the Reisling--obviously no one here has yet discovered the pleasures of chocolate stout (beer, that is)! :p

Enjoy your foray into the dusty world of pastels--I just had a look at your web site, and your watercolors are phenomenal! so I'm sure you will find pastels an interesting challenge!

Lib