PDA

View Full Version : PASTEL RIOT - Southwest Yeehaww

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Here's the scoop - you get to paint from these photos - crop, chop, change colors, flip, flop, rotate - use soft, oils, pastel pencils - whatever you want to do - you have two weeks from today to post. Have fun! Wish you had been there with us!

PASTEL RIOT - Southwest Yeehaww

Thought I’d do a little Travel Log to go along with the photos and paintings – our trip to the airport in Raleigh was the most worrisome – was hoping to get through security with no problems. The security guard looked through every pastel box, pocket, paper pack because he thought the powder substance looked strange – whew, got through that! Flew through Minneapolis to Salt Lake City and all the flights were a bit rough (for me that is). Picked up our car and found to our delight we got a great upgrade to a Toyota Highlander 4x4 SUV. Someone up above was looking out for us because we sure appreciated it on this trip. (Monday)

Left Salt Lake City and headed southeast to Moab, UT through Price and Wellington where we stopped off at Nine Mile Canyon where we had read there were terrific petroglyphs. 20 miles of dirt road, lots of tall sandstone cliffs, open range for cattle, a stray Llama and a picnic lunch at a petroglyph site really started our trip off with a bang. Arrived in Moab and settled into Red Cliffs Lodge late in the afternoon. The cliffs overlooking the Colorado River were magnificently red and I just had to take out pastels and paper and do a quick ½ hour sketch of the rocks opposite our room.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-redcliffslodgeref.jpg

Second day we got up early and traveled up Rt. 128 (Scenic Byway) to Castle Valley and the LaSalle Mountains. At the very tippie top of one of the mountains, I stopped to paint the “Priest and Nuns” spires down below in the valley floor. The snow was still on the mountain behind me, but the air was warm and sunny and the scent of the pines was inspiring. Of course, on our we back we got lost as we went up further into the mountains (12,000 ft) and finally saw a sign pointing to Colorado -–WRONG! Turned around and came back – what a road! Going up was bad, coming down was horrendous.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-castlevalley-a.jpg

Third day we spent at Arches National Park – the weather was overcast but pleasant for hiking – which we did way too much of – my knees wound up bothering for the rest of the trip. Took a hike down a canyon called Park Avenue (for the tall building-like cliffs), saw Balanced Rock, the two Window Arches and called it a day. (a balancing Rock at Arches NP)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-balancingrock-a.jpg

Fourth day we took a drive down Potash Canyon road for petroglyph photos and found some amazing “panels.”

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-petroglyph-a.jpg

That afternoon we headed out with a professional photographer, tour guide, and pastelist, J.C. Borders. He took us on a hair-raising jeep ride onto a mesa top for the best photo shoot of the trip and my painting of the “unnamed 3 spires” – so quiet with the wind and the call of the ravens and crows – 8,000 ft altitude. Yep, that’s me on the edge looking down into the canyon. He then took us to Mesa Arch and Dead Horse Point for more photo shots –

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-mesatop-a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-mesaarch-a.jpg

Ready for some vertigo - there is a Jeep on this trail down into the canyon from the mesa top - be careful, don't fall!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-shaferjeeptrail-a.jpg

Fifth day was our last day at the Lodge, so I wanted to get some painting done of the Colorado before we moved into town for the next two nights. I liked this scene because of the depth of the river into the cliffs. This was right along the road going along the canyon floor, but had a comfortable rock to sit on whilst painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-coloradoriver-a.jpg

Went further down the canyon to try another spot, but struggled with the changing light on the rocks and heavy traffic on the road. We continued on to Dead Horse Point again to finish out the park – John got some nice desert florals on the way back -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-unknownplant-a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2004/14941-unknownflower2-a.jpg

Sunday, we decided to drive to Colorado (Fruita) to see that area which is totally different from Moab – a green, fertile valley well known for its crop farms and fruit orchards. Geology there is different, but interesting, and Monday we traveled on up to Dinosaur National Monument to view the dig – an amazing sight – if you like paleontology, this is a must see. Drove on to Salt Lake City and departed the next day for Raleigh. No incidents on the way home either! We already miss Moab and it is a world very different from ours in Raleigh.

----------------

Have fun painting!

Dyin
05-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey, Kat...way cool!!! I have almost the same pice of that winding road...isn't it a rush looking down that? I have my eye on that petroglyph....hmmmm...thanks for taking the time to upload all these great pics and a story to go with!!!

Fagan
05-13-2004, 06:40 PM
oooh!! this will be so much fun!! thank you Kat for the pics and stories. It will be hard to decide which one to do.

bogbeast
05-13-2004, 07:32 PM
These are great! I don't know when I'll have time for them, but they are definitely on my list!
libby

Mikki Petersen
05-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Kat, these are wonderful photos! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I think we need to refer back to your paintings for color references. That lily type flower is gorgeous. The balancing rock is one of those intriguing puzzles of nature. I just love the arch that looks like a freeway overpass (bites tongue)... too many good choices!

Khadres
05-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Lovely photography! Looks like you had a great adventure, too! Will take me a bit to make up my mind which one to play with! Thanks for the uploads.

stonewhiteclown
05-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Hello! Kat, very fine images you have! That desert isn't boring, is it?
I have virtually no time this week but was tempted to do something. In that way it appeared too small, I almost regret it. 40 minutes, 5.5"x4.5" oilies on Ingres.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2004/30926-colorado_bush.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
05-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Our first one! Great! You've got your shapes and the whole idea gels - you just need to add some punch to the orange flowers. Get out 2 of your oranges and add the darker to the back and left-hand side branches and the lighter towards the front and right side of the bush.

Glad you participated! :clap:

K Taylor-Green
05-14-2004, 09:55 AM
What great photos! I want to go back out west!! And which one to paint??

Fagan
05-14-2004, 12:44 PM
I am not sure this is where I post this picture? I can move it if not. I went with the canyons and river.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2004/2383-moabpastel.jpg

Dyin
05-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Nice, Alex! You do great quickies.
Beverly...looks awesomely like the place.
You both really caught the desert feel. :clap:

Mikki Petersen
05-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Alex, that's a great piece for a quickie. The plant is perfectly shaped but I agree with Kat that you need to pot those orange blooms onto it.

Bev, that is a stunning rendition of the scene. I love the beautiful colors you wove into this piece. Nice going!

Kathryn Wilson
05-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Hi Bev - nice catch on the colors! I like how you did a gradient in the sky from blue to turquoise at the horizon. Very well done for a short amount of time.

Can you tell us what size it is? What paper you used and a general idea of kind of pastels you used. This is good information to share with everybody.

:D

Fagan
05-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Dyin, Mikki and Kat...thank you!

Kat...this is a 10" x 12.5" on Sennilier La Carte Pastel card. I used Shminke pastels. I used a large round mop brush to blend the sky. Very soft bristles.

stonewhiteclown
05-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Thank you, guys! I knew it's about oranges, 'cos apples are in another thread, right? :D Ok, just took darker orange and found that it's layering way better that one I used yesterday, so I applied it everywhere. I'm naughty :)

Beverly, I like that green cliff, dramatic! It looks like you've planted some flowers too :)

bogbeast
05-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Hey, those first two are really nice! Alex, you ARE going to post the changes, aren't you?

I haven't even decided which one to pick yet, and can't even consider starting it until next week!

stonewhiteclown
05-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Hey, those first two are really nice! Alex, you ARE going to post the changes, aren't you?
Thank you, and nope, not going to :)

Dyin
05-15-2004, 05:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/19147-Pastel_Riot_5-15_04_petroglyph.jpg

Not my most sucessful experiment..but live and learn. 16x20 oil pastel and acrylic gels on marble gessoed matboard

Kathryn Wilson
05-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Glad you posted this! Those are almost the same colors I am using too - especially that blue - it's almost luminescent.

I've got my background done, but going to let it sit overnight before I tackle the figures.

:clap:

stonewhiteclown
05-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Wow! That figures are glowing! :clap: I agree with Kat, blues are glowing too :)

bogbeast
05-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Dyin, this is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Personally, I can't see what's not "successful" about it!

Dyin
05-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Can't wait to see yours, Kat! Yeah, those guys do look a little glowy lol :p
Thanks for all the clappies, I'm glad you liked it. I didn't quite get what I was going for, those Senneliers just won't behave for me. :mad:

Lisa Olivarez
05-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Here's my first day. How can it look overworked to me when it's the first day??? :confused: I am learning sooo much from this forum!

Dyin
05-15-2004, 09:36 PM
wow...you made it look like an oil painting done with a knife! You watch...Kat is going to love this version and beg you to stop right here lol! I love the colors you are using. I tried going for the bright look with my rock but chickened out...really doesn't look a touch overworked...just looks cool. :D

bnoonan
05-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I'll say it before Kat makes it back - STOP!!!! The color and loose strokes just reveal so much movement. It's a beauty Lisa.

Sue - I like that little petroglyph painting - it's a good one. They aren't easy to paint I imagine and I love the sense of brushed look of the stone.

Fagan, I can't believe all the beautiful and bright colors you found in those cliffs - they are just singing. The SW has so much richness in that soil. Beautiful work.

Stonewhiteclown - excellent work in such a short amount of time and I applaud you for finding time to paint even though you are so busy!!

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
05-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Here's my first day. How can it look overworked to me when it's the first day??? :confused: I am learning sooo much from this forum!

Wow - I'm liking this already! The faux brushstrokes are genius - will you work on it more, or will you stop. Either way, great effort!

sundiver
05-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Kat, those photos are beauts! And Alex, Beverly, Sue and Lisa, awesome interpretations of them! I hope I can find some time to join in, but life and work both crank into overdrive this time of year, even when I don't have a kid about to graduate high school and go off to Switzerland on an exchange!

Mikki Petersen
05-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Sue, I really like the work you did on the petroglyphs painting. I agree with the others...there is a glow about them...and it is NOT unsuccessful. I'm curious though...what were you trying for that is not there?

Lisa, your painting is not overworked, it is lovely and vibrant. It might get overworked if you do too much more to it. What do you have in mind that you think needs to be done?

sundiver, sorry your so jammed right now. These photos really beckon, don't they?

stonewhiteclown
05-16-2004, 06:22 AM
OK, this weekend I got decidedly lazy towards house work :)
Yesterday finaly used up my last small piece, so here it goes.
Oil pastels on 5x7" Ingres, 1 1/2 hours or so.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2004/30926-30926twoflowers15may.jpg

Lisa, I like your strokes too! And it's HOT! :D

Dyin
05-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Alex...nice! Like the stoney ground effect.
Mikki..it came out sort of muddy. I wanted that pinkish glow over the rock and more of a subtle blending rather than such defined striations. I just really don't like working with the Senneliers and it just sort of looks boring to me. But was worth the try.

stonewhiteclown
05-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Thank you, Sue! BTW didn't you noticed that lots of people here use pastels they don't like for underpainting etc ;)

binkie
05-16-2004, 01:40 PM
WOW!!! All the paintings are wonderful and all different styles. Alex, come on now, pop more orange/red on those flowers.

Thanks for suggesting I try this Kyle. Below is my first ever landscape:
8x5 le carte, nupastels and yarkas.

binkie

stonewhiteclown
05-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Alex, come on now, pop more orange/red on those flowers.
I did it actually just as I wrote. Okay I'll scan tomorrow at work and I'll do it partially because I'm quite disappointed with first scan. Arghhh, can't wait for camera postage, scanners gonna kill me.

Gwen, I like you picture! You've got everything at place to me... Even gray clouds work :) Please, upload image bigger, 500 width if I remember right.

binkie
05-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Okay Alex, I'm trying to make it larger. Maybe the third time's the charm.

gwen

EdK
05-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Here's my attempt at picture #2. I like the clouds.
Sabretooth 8"x11"
Rembrant, Schminke
Turp/pastel underpainting

Yes SBJ, I do have some Wallis and love it. Just trying to use up some old paper.

Kat - thanks for the picture. This is a great idea and lots of fun to boot.

Dyin
05-16-2004, 05:02 PM
wow, Binkie...great first ever landscape!!! that sky is just gorgeous! A couple highlights on the log will help seperate it a bit, but great job! :clap:

Ed, You caught those sweeping clouds well...can tell it's a windy day by the shape of them. Nice sense of distance and good hills too. :clap:

Mikki Petersen
05-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Gwen, your first landscape is stunning! Everything is working right and it is very painterly. While I love the sky and the stone and everything, that sagebrush is photoperfect!

(that's if folks...good-bye. I'm grinding up my pastels and going back to watercolor. I can't stand it that a first timer can do better than me after two years of work!)

Ed, your painting is also wonderful. You've really captured that "I can see forever" element of the Southwest and your sky is sensational!

Mikki Petersen
05-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Alex...nice! Like the stoney ground effect.
Mikki..it came out sort of muddy. I wanted that pinkish glow over the rock and more of a subtle blending rather than such defined striations. I just really don't like working with the Senneliers and it just sort of looks boring to me. But was worth the try.

Sue, I think your frustration may be due more to the subject. The "muddy" color is THE color of the stone (dried hardened mud :evil: ). I think you turned the original photo into art which is what it's about, right? As for the Senneliers...I bought the complete set...and only used them twice. I found the inexpensive Cray-pas to be like trying to create art with crayolas :mad: but those Senneliers are like trying to create art with grease-paint :p . I admire those of you who can create beautiful art from oil pastels...I think they are nasty.

Mikki Petersen
05-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Alex, I almost missed your second painting somehow. It is beautiful! you really captured those delicate little blooms and the background is good, subtle yet interesting.

stonewhiteclown
05-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Okay Alex, I'm trying to make it larger. Maybe the third time's the charm.
Now it's good enough to try to walk under arch :) Fine details on far mountains!

Cool landscape, Ed! Perfect perspective all around...

Hey, Mikki, tell us you're kidding!......... They're expensive! :D
Gwen, I see you're smart enough to catch the hint - no nice landscapes here :evil:

stonewhiteclown
05-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Alex, I almost missed your second painting somehow. It is beautiful! you really captured those delicate little blooms and the background is good, subtle yet interesting.

Thank you, Mikki! I'm glad subject allowed me to bring contrast in a measure. That faber-castels do not worth a penny in terms of quality :(. Must get Neopastels soon. Just haven't decided yet which one to go for - 48 or 96 set... Maybe 48 plus some additional colours...

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2004, 05:41 PM
You guys are hopping right along!

Alex - good catch on those flowers (making a note to myself to find out what they are).

Binkie - joining Mikki in grinding pastels (NOT!!) - I love your first landscape and I'm glad you chose this one - it's very dramatic in real life. I'm glad you had fun with this!

Ed - you've captured the colors of the southwest so well - I love the sky too.

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Here's my version of the petroglyphs - 8 x 10 on clayboard (OP)

I coated this board several times with acrylic yellow umber - left some texture so the surface was not smooth. I then scumbled several earthy colors over the dried acrylic and smoothed out with my finger. I wanted to be able to scrape the OP's with a palette knife to get the texture of the wall and to scrape back to the yellow umber for the figures.

Biggest problem involved was finding just the right tool to scape the figures out of the op's - I kept taking it off to the white surface - so had to do some surgery there.

Decided not to go further with this - may go with a bigger version when I figure out how to handle the scraping problem.

It was fun creating the wall texture with the palette knife - when they go real soft, it was almost like working with oil paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2004/14941-petroglyphs-1.jpg

sundiver
05-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Ed and Gwen, those are awesome skies!
Alex, another nice one! The texture makes it look like soft pastels instead of oilies..how do you do that?
Kat, I've never tried clayboard, so don't know why your sgraffito went back to the white. If it's done on colored gesso it goes back to that. Still, you have some VERY cool textural effects!

I figured out a way I could get in on this riot: I've been experimenting with my wee piece of Wallis (3x6) that Kitty sent me. This is the third painting I've done on the same piece. We know that the Wallis is very re-usable with soft pastels; hose, scrub, start over. But Kitty didn't know if that held true for o.p.s, they needing a solvent and all.
My results show that some tooth remains when the oil pastel is removed with mineral spirits and a brush, but not as much as originally. The gooeyness of the o.p.s means it has to be scrubbed thoroughly and well rinsed with a rag and solvent to keep much tooth. After that it has an ok tooth, not as amazing as the original. There was no warping at all.

So here it is third time around, 3x6 o.p.s on Wallis.The sky had palm trees stained on it so I had to pile on the o.p. to cover it. Oh, and I just noticed a smudge I need to fix. No idea how long it took- maybe half an hour.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2004/6393-riotMay04.jpg
Thanks, Kat, this was fun!

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi Wendy! What a cool little painting - what you would call a miniature - and they sell very well on Ebay. You did great for such a small size and the colors are super!

I just couldn't find the right tool to scrape back without scraping off too much in places - it could have been some rough spot that the palette knife caught on to expose the white board. In places I needed the knife to be very flexible, but for the figures it needed to be stiffer and very small.

Glad you could join us in this Riot!

Dyin
05-16-2004, 09:49 PM
hmmmph, didn't get notices on the new arrivals....nice Kat!!! Yeah, scraping is hard to control, I could scrape to my marble coating, but I used a pale blue for that, and I didn't really want that showing. You did a great job on it.

Wendy...am amazed you put that poor paper thru so much and still got a winner! I'm liking all these little pieces and I especially like the blue tone in the foreground.

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Sue - thanks! This was a hard one to photograph - the blue sheen kept changing the hues I wanted to preserve. I think on the next one I will go back to what Gina told us to use - the gesso board with permanent ink for an underpainting.

stonewhiteclown
05-17-2004, 01:12 AM
Alex, another nice one!
Thanks!
The texture makes it look like soft pastels instead of oilies..how do you do that?
Where or what exactly?
Wendy, your picture is beautiful! Pity it's not sized five times bigger :)

Kat, your work paid out! The wall texture is die for and figures very lively! Very pleasant overall!

Fagan
05-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Wow! a whole lot of new paintings!! Beautiful work! A lot of different styles and techniques to get the results. good reading!

binkie
05-17-2004, 11:08 AM
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! All the paintings are absolutely wonderful!!!! I love the colors and different techniques.

gwen

Mikki, sorry I missed your post. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Mikki Petersen
05-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Kat, great work on your petroglyphs. This may sound odd, but that crack in the stone is astonishingly real. Made me feel I was looking at the photo again.

Wendy, such a tiny piece and yet you still have your signature style...beautiful.

bnoonan
05-19-2004, 02:28 PM
You guys are doing a great job!!! Binkie - congratulations on your first landscape - keep going and promise us it won't be the last.

Kat - love the effect you got on those petroglyphs - excellent stuff.

Wendy - you and your skills - just a 45 minute painting and you turn out a masterpiece. I need to watch you sometime.

Keep them coming. I'm sitting here with a cool lemonade and a bowl of popcorn watching the show. I love red rocks!!!

Barb

Dyin
05-19-2004, 05:14 PM
You guys are doing a great job!!! Binkie - congratulations on your first landscape - keep going and promise us it won't be the last.

Kat - love the effect you got on those petroglyphs - excellent stuff.

Wendy - you and your skills - just a 45 minute painting and you turn out a masterpiece. I need to watch you sometime.

Keep them coming. I'm sitting here with a cool lemonade and a bowl of popcorn watching the show. I love red rocks!!!

Barb

uh, Barb....if you're just gonna watch, there's an admission fee....
where's YOUR version of red rocks???? :evil: :D :p

bnoonan
05-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Ok - you want to see my version of red rocks do you??? hmmm....

let's see - if I take a pile of cadmium red dust from the painting I did last night and create a little pile - will that work?

b :evil:

Dyin
05-20-2004, 01:31 AM
Ok - you want to see my version of red rocks do you??? hmmm....

let's see - if I take a pile of cadmium red dust from the painting I did last night and create a little pile - will that work?

b :evil:

well, ok...just until you come back with a wowzer from your upcoming weeklong class.... :D

pjo
05-21-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi all, I've been browsing the paintings here. Everyone is working hard and seems to be really enjoying this. I intended to join in but my aunt passed away on Sunday after a short illness with cancer, kind of puts things in perspective. I still may try to join in, but we'll see, I have to complete 2 paintings for an emerging artists show, and mat and frame them by the 4th of June, but I'll try cause this is so much fun! Anyway, beautiful paintings,

Edk-the yellow clouds are striking and your dark orangy-red foreground creates great distance.

Kat- I really really like your petroglyphs alot. The texture looks very realistic and the figures pop. I like hearing how you acheived the effect also.

Wendy-I use wallis paper most often and love it. I like that I can reuse it so often and make corrections easily, although I use soft pastels and not oils. It's good to hear you can reuse it with the oils pastels also. I really like the depth you've created in your painting and the foreground really contrasts.

Kathryn Wilson
05-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Hi PJ: this Riot will be around in the forum somewhere - you're always welcome to join in at any time.

K Taylor-Green
05-21-2004, 04:38 PM
OK, here goes. My first landscape, 9 x 12, on Wallis paper. Let's have it!!

Dyin
05-21-2004, 04:45 PM
oh, man...FIRST landscape...it's just horrendous...NOT!!! Is the pic a touch fuzzy? Cuz I'd love to see the details...you really did do a great job!!! :clap:

K Taylor-Green
05-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I enlarged it, and it was fuzzy, so went down a notch. And it is a 11 x 14, not 9 x 12. Duh!!

Thanks, Sue. I appreciate the encouragement, more than I can say. You know, I've stretched myself more in the last 6 weeks, since WC, than I have in the last year. Who knows what another year will bring?!

Dyin
05-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Who knows what another year will bring?!

a few masterpieces? fame? success? :D you betcha :clap:

EdK
05-21-2004, 05:49 PM
PJO- Thanks a lot. Had fun doing it.
Kate - great for a first landscape. Especially with the foreground. I did not have the courage to tackle that part of the picture. Well done.

Mikki Petersen
05-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Your first landscape is a major success IMHO! Hope you enjoyed it enough that it won't be your last. The sky is particularly well done with those wispy clouds.

Yep, if there is one thing Wet Canvas will do, it's encourage you to S-T-R-E-T-C-H your talent, which is a great thing, because the more you experiment the more you learn. Look what you are doing already!

Kathryn Wilson
05-21-2004, 07:11 PM
OK, here goes. My first landscape, 9 x 12, on Wallis paper. Let's have it!!

Wonderful Kate! I like your sky lots better than mine! Hope you can get this unfuzzied so we can see the details. Thanks for participating - it's nice to see someone else's version of what I painted.

K Taylor-Green
05-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Here is the un-fuzzy version, I hope. I took so many shots of this thing, I'm lost in my photo files!!!

And thanks for all the positive feedback. I don't, for one moment, think this is great, but I will definitly be doing another, after my Golden Retreiver commission, or maybe DURING my G.R. commission! It was a lot of fun, and the first time I have ever done a complete painting in one afternoon!!

Mikki Petersen
05-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah, Kate...even better. You've managed to capture a good sense of distance in this piece. Very nice.

Dyin
05-21-2004, 09:16 PM
I like how the taller side bush stands crisp against the hazy backdrop...glad you will do more!

Harm Verbeek
05-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Hello,

I was a quiet looker in this thread. But here a try of me to this thread.

Its done on Hahnemühle Bugra paper with OP. Most done with Sakura artist,
van Gogh and Latoya pastels.

binkie
05-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Great painting, Harm! Your colors are so vibrant.

binkie

Dyin
05-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Nice job, Harm, you made it look like lots of buildings, which is just how I felt when I visited there. Did you know that if you run a little touch of blue or violet in the shadow areas over the red that it makes a good shadow and helps areas to recede? I know you asked to get tips on your other landscape. I don't do it very well, but it helps to know!

Harm Verbeek
05-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Hello,

Thanks Dyin for the advise and compliments. I always like to grow and always try out the advises so keep on doing it.

Mikki Petersen
05-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Harm, don't be a quiet looker...be a noisy poster! You learn more that way! Your painting is very dramatic. Sue has given you some good tips on shadows. For someone who has never visited this part of the world, you did an amazing job capturing the authentic southwest colors.

K Taylor-Green
05-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Great job, Harm!! Vibrant colors, boldly used.

Paula Ford
05-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Am I too late???? This is the second time I did this. Soft pastels on sanded AS 9 x 12. So sorry to be so late!! C&C please. This was a difficult one for me.
Thank you,
Paula

stonewhiteclown
05-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Never too late for such beautiful painting! Love those colours! Amazing detail, I beleve that mountain is more detailed here than on the ref :)
My sugestion is to break greenery line somehow, sight just cannot stop there.

Dyin
05-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Paula, this is drop dead gorgeous!!! That mountain is AWESOME! I agree, break the far shore treeline a bit and it's a WINNER!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula Ford
05-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks Sue!! Those rocks really gave me fits!!

Paula

Mikki Petersen
06-01-2004, 01:19 PM
WOW! Really well done! It could be a photograph only better!

Kathryn Wilson
06-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Harm - wow, you did capture the majesty of those cliffs. This area is called "Park Avenue" because it reminds people who go down this canyon trail of looking up at tall buildings. Good job!

Paula - fantastic! You did the photograph one better I think. I would love to see a close-up of those cliffs if possible? Now, the tree line on the far shore is deceptive in the photo - rather they are large scrub bushes that look exactly like Paula has painted them. We learned they are an invading plant that has lined both shores of the Colorado to the detriment of native trees and bushes. For viewing, it probably is best to break it up - but realistically, this is exactly what it looks like. Good job!

Paula Ford
06-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Paula - fantastic! You did the photograph one better I think. I would love to see a close-up of those cliffs if possible? Now, the tree line on the far shore is deceptive in the photo - rather they are large scrub bushes that look exactly like Paula has painted them. We learned they are an invading plant that has lined both shores of the Colorado to the detriment of native trees and bushes. For viewing, it probably is best to break it up - but realistically, this is exactly what it looks like. Good job!

Thanks so much Kat and thank you for posting these photos!! Here is a close-up.

Paula

Khadres
06-08-2004, 02:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2004/19147-Pastel_Riot_5-15_04_petroglyph.jpg

Not my most sucessful experiment..but live and learn. 16x20 oil pastel and acrylic gels on marble gessoed matboard

Oh, sue, I think this is FAB! Was wondering if anyone would tackle this one and thought of you at the time; it's a "natural" for your style of work. Great job!

I love the hollyhock and cliff entries, as well...these are all so well done, I'm gonna have to hang back and pick my subject vera care full y! :D

Khadres
06-08-2004, 02:04 PM

What's wrong with it??? The colors are wonderful and I think you did a great job with this! Try another?

Khadres
06-08-2004, 02:08 PM
OK, this weekend I got decidedly lazy towards house work :)
Yesterday finaly used up my last small piece, so here it goes.
Oil pastels on 5x7" Ingres, 1 1/2 hours or so.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2004/30926-30926twoflowers15may.jpg

Lisa, I like your strokes too! And it's HOT! :D

This look like it was fun to do! I especially like the effect you got on the GROUND....looks sandy-pebbley and REAL! Nice work and to heck with housework anyway! The chores will still be there even if you take a day off!

Khadres
06-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Binkie, another great first! There's really NOTHING you can't do! And yes, this is a great place for expanding experience...good advice, lots of positive feedback and plenty of inspiration! Who could ask for more and you've done beautifully and are an inspiration to others at the same time!

Ed, great sense of space there...a very different subject for you, eh?

Kat, that little flower is a lowly primrose! The desert is littered with the little thing and you haven't lived til you find the more yellow, night-blooming ones! We used to sit and watch those open at sundown or furl their petals at dawn...fascinating to see. You petroglyphs are gorgeous! And you might try a cut up bit of an old credit card for flexible scraping next time...not quite so apt to score through to the ground.

Wendy, Kate G and Harm....I'm in awe of you guys! Wonderful paintings all!

Paula, you've got another winner too! Great colors!

Guess I'm going to have to get busy and try one of these. Might get me out of my "slump".