PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Painting

colorme
09-14-2001, 01:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2001/head.jpg
Here's my first Oil Painting, I did it on w/c paper.

ThinkSeeDraw
09-17-2001, 07:29 PM
I think this is very good for a first! I like color combinations and the blending...

I bet that it would have been even better if it had been done on canvas because it wouldn't have been quite as absorbing...

Also, did u do this with a medium or just oils and turps??? I would reccomend using something such as liquin or canada balsam.... I like the canada stuff because of how it is so shiny and it makes the colors blend so beautifully! You can buy some at www.studioproducts.com If you are interested in trying it out for yourself ;)

I think that there is a certain way of using it though.... I just combined it with the colors on the palette, but that may have been a mistake.... I will ask over in the oil forum about this ;)

colorme
09-17-2001, 10:06 PM
thank you, well I was just practicing thatís why I used w/c paper, and I bet it would have looked better if i did do it on canvas, and If I had finished it and not just the face by itself. I did notice that the paper was very absorbing, and it still a little wet..Next time Iíll use paper canvas, which I am told is a lot better.

I just used oils and turp..I had never heard of linquin or canada balsam, but i will look around in that website. Thanks for the link btw:). So far I'm liking working with oils.

ThinkSeeDraw
09-19-2001, 05:32 PM
btw, liquin is made by winsor & newton, and it slows down the drying process of oils (if that's what you want)

You can buy it most anywhere. Hobby lobby sells it ;)

If you are avoiding canvas cuz of the cost, maybe you should use masonite panels... Just go to the hardware store and pick some up! There's 2 thicknesses at the one that i go to.... buy the thicker one... Masonite always bows towards its center of gravity, and by having the thicker panels, it slows that process down a bit...

You can use either the rough or the smooth side, just make sure you sand the smooth side with some 100 grit sandpaper..... then, slap some gesso on it, u HAVE to use gesso, or the masonite will suck up all the moisture, and the painting will flake off in about 3 months :mad:

I got a galllon of gesso for 20 bucks, the cheapest that they had...

I use masonite panels regularly, they are great for practice, and, depending on the type of paper canvas that you use... it may actually be cheaper to use masonite! :eek:

Hope this helps, glad that your having fun with oils! ;)

colorme
09-19-2001, 09:40 PM
thank you, your very nice:), I will try and look at masonite panels, I have never worked with them..btw, I use really cheap paper canvas from walmart. thanks again!

ThinkSeeDraw
09-24-2001, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by colorme
I use really cheap paper canvas from walmart.

You can buy something artistic at walmart?!?!?!??! :eek:

I've never even HEARD of those canvas paper thingy's, curious to know what they are like...

I know it's a little bit early for you to be referring to this, but the second you choose to use a cheap surface for your artwork, you have already predetermined the outcome of the product.... Cheap surface, cheap expectations, cheap results....

Just thought that was cool, but i wouldn't take that tooo seriously! Use something that's a good quality LEARNER'S canvas... or whatever you call it.... I would really like to see more of what you have tried, this one is really cool ;)

colorme
09-25-2001, 02:10 PM
hey darcy,:)

they sell a lot of student quality stuff at walmart, you should check, they even have cheap wooden easels, for 10 dollars..i'm not into easels..I like painting on the floor for some reason. Paper canvas is really useful, they told me here it's good for practicing w/ oils, if you mess up you can rip it and throw it away, it feels plasticky [lol] but you rip it and it's paper, i don'k know it's hard to explain, you should check it out..about the cheap materials, cheap results, i sort of agree, but right now i'm just practicing and i'm not trying to sell or make a masterpiece..:) you know what i mean? well I'll post the other stuff i've done..they have a little african/indian influence..i've just recently gotten really into all that stuff...I'm working on a buddha, I'm slightly obsessed w/ them:D