PDA

View Full Version : Completed floral

HRH Goldie
05-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Here is another floral now completed - A Dahlia.
this one I managed to do some abstract suggestion of leaves in the background but stayed with the hooker green and burnt umber.
It was built up from a dead layer of greys and whites which gave me the strong shadows. I probably would have lost them if I hadn't done this.
I got bogged down with the veining on petals and had to use a little artistic licence on some of the tubular and unfurled petals. The pair of front petals caused me a huge headache when like a 'well known artist' it turned out looking like womens bits! Lol! Hopefully I have managed to change the shape sufficiently as I didn't want this but now I notice that the centre of one of these petals looks like a tongue lol! Never mind I'm not working on those two petals anymore and indeed I've varnished it to stop myself. :rolleyes:
C & C welcome
Christine

ExpressiveAngie
05-13-2004, 07:15 AM
The pic is so small.... :crying:
From what I can see it is beautifully detailed.

Dima
05-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Looks like an unusual and interesting composition for a flowerpainting.
Would like to see a bigger picture of it.

Dick

Lady Carol
05-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Please, please please post bigger

HRH Goldie
05-14-2004, 04:47 AM
Hi, homework for today - to try and work out how to size photo correctly!
Thanks
Christine

Alison Jardine
05-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Here is another floral now completed - A Dahlia.
this one I managed to do some abstract suggestion of leaves in the background but stayed with the hooker green and burnt umber.
It was built up from a dead layer of greys and whites which gave me the strong shadows. I probably would have lost them if I hadn't done this.
I got bogged down with the veining on petals and had to use a little artistic licence on some of the tubular and unfurled petals. The pair of front petals caused me a huge headache when like a 'well known artist' it turned out looking like womens bits! Lol! Hopefully I have managed to change the shape sufficiently as I didn't want this but now I notice that the centre of one of these petals looks like a tongue lol! Never mind I'm not working on those two petals anymore and indeed I've varnished it to stop myself. :rolleyes:
C & C welcome
Christine

Hmmm, have you considered that it might be only you that can see these sexual references...?!!! <joke>

pic is a bit small, but it seems beautifully rendered to me. You've got the blackish background contrasting with the purples extremely masterfully.

please can you post a bigger picture, as would like to see the details more!

I do like flower pics, but for some reason I never want to paint them myself!

Ali

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 06:01 AM
I hope this is bigger - I'm so not a computer hand :o

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 06:47 AM
There was me so smug - got it bigger all by myself - then clicked on thumbnail :crying: its all pixelated! Someone out there helppppppp!

odge
05-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Do you have any programs on your computer like "coreldraw", "adobe photoshop", "paintshop pro". With these programs you are able to adjust the image size. I like adobe photoshop because it has a "save for web" function which is really easy to use to re-size the photo.

Jo

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi Jo,
We have corel photopaint - it has save to web and stuff and thats what I tried to use. I know it says on here somewhere that you have to have 500 x 600 pixels but the blasted programme doesn't talk in language like that.
I know how to point and click and thats about it - boy do I feel left out :crying: .
Christine

odge
05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Okay Christine, don't despair, help is on its way. :D

When I use photopaint, here is what I do.

1. Open image.
2. Under "image" on the toolbar, click on "resample" This opens another window.
3. Change what the computer is measuring in (top right of box). Mine opened in millimetres. There is a down arrow, click on that and then click on 'pixels'
4. Check that "maintain aspect ratio" is ticked at the bottom right of the box.
5. Change "width" to 500
6. Click okay.
7. Then save your image at the new size. If you want to keep the original size as well, then make sure you save it as something different.

I always save the pics I'm going to upload as "picname_ie.jpg" this way I know that it's for the web (by the ie - internet explorer). I also keep these pics in a separate folder so I don't confuse them with the original.

Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know if you need more assistance.

Jo

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Jo,
Thanks for getting back so quickly and guess what - I'm off to try it now. It can't be that simple can it?? I thought I was doing something like that but obviously not.
Lets see how long it takes me :o
Cheers
Christine

odge
05-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Let me know how you get on.

Jo

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Right this time - please??
I'm sorry to bore all of you with these attempts but hopefully persistence has paid off this time.
Jo thank you for your help - simply explained and ridiculously easy to follow so I hope I have it right :o
Ali - No it wasn't just me and my paranoia ;) but my tutor immediately said 'oh I'm pleased its not just me who thinks that'.
Never mind I didn't make the colours as obvious and hopefully this 'dodgy' petal blends in more now lol.
Thanks all.
Christine

BRIDGES
05-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Flower is nice, do a large bowl now and a bowl full of these with lots leaves..HA putting you to work, but it would be beautiful And hey are you one that wanted to use the knife ??try knife works. i have done many with knife.Bridges
www.cactushill.com/Mall/HelenB/gallery.htm A few on here with knife.

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Christine, this is so lovely. Persistence with the computer paid off huh? :clap:

odge
05-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Now that I can see it (hehehehe) I think your flower is lovely. I love your attention to detail.

Great stuff.

Jo

surreal
05-17-2004, 11:56 PM
It is very beautiful!

Ursus17
05-18-2004, 12:29 AM
Oh wow!! What a beautiful dahlia. I am in awe of this. What a beautiflly realistic flower. I think the bottom right of this painting is the best, but really, the whole thing is perfect.

Nice work, thanks for sharing!

Georgi
05-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Hi Christine...I think your dahlia is terrific...and I'm glad you asked all those questions as I'm tentative when it comes to fiddling around on my computer, too...always think I'm going to blow something up and lose everything! :D

Thanks for showing us your work.

Lee :)

dannyd
05-18-2004, 04:37 AM
very nice flower! love the shading. and good job on your computer work. it helps to know these things.
Danny ;)

HRH Goldie
05-18-2004, 04:52 AM
Thank you all for your patience they say you learn something new everyday!
Odge - I'm glad you posted step by step instructions as you know you have helped me overcome this infuriating problem of posting but it looks like you have helped loads more. :clap: Just the sort of info we technophobes need. ;)
Bridges - it took me so long to do this one that if I was to do a complete bowl in this technique I would be a long time grey and wrinkly :eek:
I looked at the website link you gave - is this your work? I presume it is and it is fantastic. I don't think I would be able to have this control with a knife but might have a bash in the future - once I can control the brush lol.
Pastel mama, Danny, Lee, Surreal, Thank you all for your positivity this piece has been accepted by a gallery so its not bad after only painting a handful of pieces to completion. It means a lot to me for my confidence because I look at and admire all of the acrylic work that you post on here. More often than not I am green with envy but what it does do is inspire me to try harder. Something like that you can't put a price on so thank you all :clap:
Ursus - Thank you for your comment. I too liked the leaves in the background. I painted this part quickly and as a mere representation or abstract - it wasn't meant to be reaslistic but I loved the effect. Only trouble is I don't know whether I would be able to do it again. :o The left hand side of the painting actually has leaves on aswell but the way the light and flash was it hasn't showed up and has actually made this corner a lot darker than it appears.
Now I have to find another suitable floral to start. Thats the hard part for me - a lot of images I love but find to difficult to even start.
Christine

BRIDGES
05-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Goldie, thank you for looking at my site. but I am old and have gotten "looser" in painting. Lo these years, Knife is not that hard to do. Am teaching a few now, You actualy draw with a knife. try swooping across the canvas with a sky ,all colors and then mts. and then forground,just to try the hand work....you do detail which is good and nice and may always do, your style and beautiful but fun to try other things, right.? I often use brush , then over it for texture with knife. Bridges

HRH Goldie
05-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Bridges - thanks for that. You know I might just try. I really need to look at other styles.
Regards
Christine