PDA

View Full Version : A New type of poppy

HRH Goldie
05-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi folks,
Just completed this poppy which is a new strain apparently and has just made an appearance and the RHS. (Royal Horticultural Society).
I wanted to try and paint this one loosely, I've found I get to hung up on things when I'm painting and envy those who can just 'go with the flow'. I decided to try a different kind of backdrop for me - I usually go for a dark solid one of burnt umber and hooker green.
C & C more than welcome.
It's only 10 x 12" on block canvas.
Christine

ExpressiveAngie
05-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Again, this is so small, can you post us a bigger pic? It looks SO interesting - almost feathery, I wanna see more! :clap:

Lady Carol
05-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Please post bigger.

I do think though that the background competes. I know you were trying something different, but a complimentary color would have worked better.

Good painting :D

HRH Goldie
05-14-2004, 04:46 AM
Hi apologies for size of pic. I am hopeless at this photo lark so I have to get hubby to reduce them. I will show him tonight the size they are appearing on the site and hopefully I can rectify that.
Thanks for the comments though - very useful.
Christine

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Hopefully this will be bigger or I shall cry :crying:

ExpressiveAngie
05-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Really pretty and I think the shadowed ares of the yellow seem to really work. :clap:

HRH Goldie
05-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Thank you angie - managed to get this one bigger to view but failed miserably on the dahlia. This photo is a bit blurred but I think you probably guessed that already. I usually paint backgrounds as is in photo or one solid block colour - I must say this is a lot easier and more satisfying. I'm ready to try more now.
Onwards and upwards so they say.
Christine

surreal
05-18-2004, 12:00 AM
I wanted to try and paint this one loosely, I've found I get to hung up on things when I'm painting and envy those who can just 'go with the flow'.
Christine

I experience the same difficulty that you are describing.
;)

Your painting is very, very beautiful!
:clap:

Ursus17
05-18-2004, 12:27 AM
I really like the color combinations you've chosen. I've been in a big orange and yellow kick lately so maybe that's why its appealing to me.

I would love to have this flower in my garden, but aren't you lucky because you have a painting to enjoy year round.

Very nice work. I love the delicate edges especially!!

HRH Goldie
05-18-2004, 05:13 AM
Thank you all, I think I could get used to this sort of loose painting - it is a lot less stressful lol.
Ursus - I love poppies so I will be keeping an eye out for this one in my garden centre. (It was painting from a pic in a magazine).
For anyone into florals I've found there is a lot of material in gardening magazines and of course they have all of the new varieties all expertly photographed. I would imagine that so long as you don't paint 'realism' then copyright wouldn't be an issue because it is your interpretation or am I wrong on that one?
Christine