PDA

View Full Version : My wave problem...?

saguarosue
05-12-2004, 08:08 PM
I am new to oil painting...tho have done an acrylic or 2 and a bit of ceramic and decorative painting. My first oil project is of Heceta Head Light, on the Oregon coast. Size is 11" x 14" on canvas board. I am a former pro photographer so painting done from real life and subsequent photos. Here is where I need help. I can not seem to paint with out using an abundance of paint :clap: ...I like the diminsion and expression of it, but am afraid of overdoing it. Today I began with the waves. These will be done fat over lean. The thin base coat of water is done....my question is: .....is there anything wrong with using the paint to achieve dimension with the waves? If it is ok to do so, how do I know when enough becomes too much? My oil classes have ended for the summer, my painting is not finished and I am on my own to finish. I have purchased several books from North Light to help with the idea of washes, depth and perception, etc. I do not yet have a digital camera so can not post a photo of my wip. Any advice appreciated!
Would this be what is called impasto?

imlayte
05-12-2004, 10:25 PM
If I understand your question you are asking about the physical thickness of the paint on the canvas. There is no limitation EXCEPT, you say you are using oils. Thick oil will take a very long time to dry. Some artists want the finished surface to be super smooth, but, like you I don't care about that and load on the paint, especially the lights. But I use acrylics and don't have a drying time problem. Over in Oil Painting forum they'll be able to give you info about what medium ingredients will decrease the drying time and then just do some experimental thickness'. Good luck.

Howard

saguarosue
05-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Thank you Howard...you cut it to the chase...the thickness. I am not so concerned about drying time, but perhaps an additive would help. I will post to the oil forum and investigate adding a medium. Thank you...and I am seriously considering changing to acrylics again for this reason, but I have just invested so much into the oils. Feel I must use them up and the way I paint now, it won't take long ;)

Gena