PDA

View Full Version : Question?

tsmaggio
05-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to painting and I have only been doing oils and am learning to draw. Anyway I have done a few seascapes but I am wondering , how do you get that light source in the wave? Doyou just put in light color and pull the water through or what? I would like my ocean scenes to look more realistic.
Thanks for helping.

Stephanie :confused:

1065tomh
05-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Hi Stephanie
Im consider myself as a beginner but if you would really like to learn how to paint seascape and translucent waves I would recommend Mr E. John Robinson. Go to your local library or visit this sites www.ejohnrobinson.com/
In his books and videos he teach you all you ever need to know in a step by step progress
Good luck

Tom

tsmaggio
05-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks so much! I was wondering when someone was going to reply. I wasn't sure anyone here knew how to do it either. Thanks again and I will go check it out.

1065tomh
05-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi again
If you are planning to buy the books and videos of Mr Robinson I will recommend to check around for prices. I bought all mine at www.saa.co.uk and www.amazon.co.uk. Saved some money on this... Be sure to buy the appropiate video system for USA...That might be a problem when buying in Europe.. Maybe at www.amazon.com (USA?)

Tom

Marty C
05-14-2004, 03:57 AM
Hi Stephanie,
Translucence in a wave is usually a matter of using a lighter value of a colour. This can be done by either applying a light wash over an underpainting where values have already been established (have a look at my Rock and Wave WIP, that is what I did in that case) or by mixing your colour with a white. The translucent effect comes from having a lighter value near a darker value, making the water appear transparent.
This effect can also be achieved by using a different colour - for example, introducing a light green into the upper (and therefore thinner ) parts of a wave - again, the values need to be light.
It is also important to try for the translucent effect in the appropriate place on a wave or the water - deep water will not be translucent.

tsmaggio
05-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone so much! I am going to try doing another seascape and if I am brave enough I will post it.