PDA

View Full Version : Portrait from the Portrait Conference

Kitty Wallis
05-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Here are the underpainting, about 20 min, and the finished piece, about 30 min.

The camera exaggerated the reds in her face, a little.

Fagan
05-11-2004, 10:20 PM
You make this look so simple! very well done! I love that wedge of hair...and the highlighted curls.
I am new to pastels and have heard about this Wallis paper. *LOL* I did not know someone from WetCanvas had invented it. How kewl is that?? :D

Dyin
05-11-2004, 10:56 PM
The hair is awesome. I love the colors in the face, I've seen Barb (bnoonan) use this green to good effect too. The pink over the lip throws me a little tonewise...but I'd never think to use this strong a yellow for the highlights ... it works so great :clap: :clap: :clap:

Khadres
05-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Another cooool one! Love the hair and another great likeness overall! Wow!

Stoy Jones
05-11-2004, 11:31 PM
The camera exaggerated the reds in her face, a little.

Regardless, most expressive in terms of warmth and color! Lovely work!

Stoy

cjkelly
05-12-2004, 12:12 AM
You do this so effortlessly - 30 mins is just amazing.
I find the way you have approached the tonal range and colour choices fascinating....and of course, that trademark Kitty squiggle in the hair really adds to the character!

cj

Mikki Petersen
05-12-2004, 12:34 AM
I bow in complete AWE :confused: ! I cannot even do the initial sketch in 30 minutes and I rarely end up with a likeness. I am also fascinated by the creative eye that can see all those colors in a face. I try that and I end up with studies of UFO's! Beautifully done.

jackiesimmonds
05-12-2004, 04:54 AM
Welcome back, and this is wonderful Kitty. I am in awe too.

Jackie

meowmeow
05-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Awestruck! This is gorgeous...I love it and can't believe you were able to do it in 30 minutes.
I see the underpainting is more detailed than I would have expected. I'm sure that helps a lot...but even adding that 20 minutes I am quite impressed.
Wonderful colors, the hair is amazing, I love the blue background. You have captured real character in her face.

Sandy

siberart
05-12-2004, 11:12 AM
An amazing "quick sketch"!!! What a beautiful painting. Thanks for sharing.

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Kitty! Welcome back and thanks for posting this most amazing portrait - your underpainting could even stand on its own as a painting - getting all your values done ahead of time sure cuts down on the pastel time.

:clap:

bnoonan
05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Ohh... it's ok for an amateur!!!! :evil:

JUST KIDDING - WOW You really caught so much expressiveness in this woman's face and I love the squiggles in the hair and the decision to make the shirt yellow and yup and yup - I like it all.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm in awe at what you've accomplished so fast.

Wow - Barb :clap: :clap:

Kitty Wallis
05-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Thank you all for your warm responses. I want to tell you I've been doing portraits all my life. Nothing but portraits from life for the first 25 years of my adult career. I'm grateful now for the practice.

SusanCarlin
05-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Kitty, and all ya'll (that's plural for ya'll in Texas). I'm the model for this painting Kitty did in Boston. Let me tell you, it's a prized possession. I'll attach my copy of this image in case the colors are truer. I'm new to Wetcanvas and glad to know about it. I've been using pastels for 30 years and mostly have done portraits.
I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but I'll put a link to my website here:
www.SusanCarlin.com

Good to meet ya'll!
Susan

Dyin
05-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Welcome to WC and the pastel forum, Susan. Lovely stuff on your website...you'll be a welcome addition to the forum. And lucky you to get your portrait done so beautifully!

Mikki Petersen
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Susan and welcome to Wet Canvas! I visited your website and am so impressed. thirty years experience really shows! Wonderful collection of works.

SusanCarlin
05-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Thank you, Dyin, for the compliments on my site. I'm still lost on how to find my way around to this spot on wetcanvas once I leave it. You wouldn't believe the way I found my way back this time! I'm not sure I can do it again, actually. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, though. Once I figure out how to change my country of origin from Abu Dhabi to USA, I'll see if I can find out how to put my mug shot on here!

I appreciate the welcome!

Susan

Dyin
05-12-2004, 05:34 PM
ok...while you are here go to the main pastel thread page by clicking on Pastels above. Then go up to My Favorites in the browser...click it, click add to Favorites, then ok and then to get here all you have to do is click on my Favorites and then that...you can rename it as you add it to say WC Pastels for easier finding too...good luck!

SusanCarlin
05-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Dyin!
I feel silly not figuring that out on my own. Now, do you know how to change one's country of origin and such? I must have accepted a default somewhere along the way.
Susan

Deborah Secor
05-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Susan, welcome to our forum! Yep, your work is right purty. (How'd I do? hehe) I've seen more people with Abu Dhabi as their country! That's in Texas, right? (Just kidding...) You'll get it all figured out!

Deborah

SusanCarlin
05-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi Dee!
Forgive me if I repeat myself...not sure whether I posted a reply or not.. It thanked me for posting as though I did. Hmmm.
Anyway, your cyber Texan accent was quite well done. My own accent thickens or all but disappears depending on circumstances. And isn't Abu Dhabi just up the road a piece from Austin?
I lurked a bit here in the pastel forum a few days ago and visited several posters' sites and liked what I saw of your work, too. Thanks for your welcome,
Susan

Dyin
05-12-2004, 06:02 PM
click on My WC! above...click on edit profile. Click on United States on the bottom and save changes.

SusanCarlin
05-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Dyin, My SHE-RO!!!
Thanks for that. I feel so much better now.
Susan from San Antonio, not Abu Dhabi

SweetBabyJ
05-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Welcome back, Kitty- and may I say that is some exceptional colour work- wow! So much to study and *see*- I keep going back to see what I missed before. Glad you're back.

Hi and welcome, Susan- nice work of yours, too. Kitty's got an honorary seat in the backrow with some of us, but we don't make her bring snacks- just Wallis paper.