PDA

View Full Version : critique

Jeri H
09-13-2001, 12:44 PM
I'd like some feedback about this painting. I'm new to your site, and I like what I see. It's quite comprehensive!

pampe
09-14-2001, 11:09 AM
Hi Lynn, welcome!

I think if you want real comments, you may be limiting your input with that poll.

I like the painting.

It may be a tad bottom heavy, and I am not sure what the center of interest is?

Keep painting~
Pam

Jeri H
09-14-2001, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Pam:
I submitted it as a poll somewhat by accident. And I agree, there is too much "stuff" at the bottom. I was captivated by the balconies on Royal Street in New Orleans, and this is one of them. I appreciate the input.
Jeri H

Javier
09-17-2001, 06:47 PM
Jeri H,

Why not post your painting in the watercolor forum without the poll -- just start a new thread in that forum. This place is for more 'hard line' critiquing.

I think your painting is very fresh, but needs some help to tone down the upper portion -- maybe darken the brick work and upper part of the building, this will also make the window the focal point of your painting.

The Best Of Luck,

david ward
09-18-2001, 04:34 PM
Actually I like it as it is although the top seems a bit washed out but maybe it didn't scan too well. I like the busy-ness of the plants contrasting with the apparent solitude that the window presents.

David

Jeri H
09-18-2001, 07:53 PM
Hi David:
Thanks for your comments; it is a digital photo, and yes, the brickwork at the top of the painting needs some darkening. It's so nice to get feedback from other artists here.:)

berkking
10-03-2001, 07:01 AM
Compositionally this is strong. The issue that I see is the diagonal shadow across the door/window. The colour depth and intensity is not in agreement with the other shadows. The undersides of the flora are rich and dark. Perhaps a greater density/intensity of shadow may punch the contrast up a bit giving a clearer definition to the 'white.' The shadows under the cornice are strong, would not the diagonal be served with similar treatment?

Oh, and a hearty welcome to WC!

Nik