PDA

View Full Version : warm/cool-push/pull

SweetBabyJ
05-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Another experiment which might have worked, just not in the way I'd planned.

I used neither black, nor white, doing this, just warm and cool darks, and warm and cool lights. Wanted to see if I could use those, not instead of, but more predominently than plain values. Sorry Sue- I'm not yet sure on the sunlit/shadow stripes (the ref pic I took is neatly striped by mini blind light) may instead do another one and just really limit the colour scheme. Anyway, this is what I've been up to lately:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2004/9169-Eggs002.jpg

and the grayscale:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2004/9169-Eggs002gs.jpg

Thanks for looking- I had fun.

Dark_Shades
05-11-2004, 07:22 AM
is this an egscape from the norm :D :evil:

Fagan
05-11-2004, 07:38 AM
A nice clutch of eggs! Great shaping and shadowing. What color paper did you start with? and size? I am just starting and it helps having that information. :)

I had a digital picture that I took of eggs...but it had a peach colored cloth under them. It made the eggs a little bluer looking.

Khadres
05-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Looks like a fun experiment! Yes, we want the gory details, size, underpainting? Support? And just for my snoopy info, how many pastels do you think you used for the whole thing?

That cloth looks so soft and luxurious. Eggs are such fun and quite challenging to do well, eh? Beautiful job here!

Dyin
05-11-2004, 09:47 AM
ha...eggsactly how I expected them to look (all Dawn's fault for THAT comment). You don't have to do the blind shadows....or the ones that can see either....snork :p Really, seriously, I love how you made a bunch of eggs look so classical and dramatic. I love how the cloth just looks so velvety! :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
05-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Julie - these looks great - you handled the cloth folds so well. Eggs are a great challenge to do in anything other than white - great job!

Tiny little nitpik - there is one egg in the middle that has just a hint of sharp edge - did you catch that already? I usually see something like that after I upload something to WC - why I can't see it when it's on my easel, I can figure out.

Stoy Jones
05-11-2004, 11:16 AM
I have to agree, a most regal clutch you have there...got any bacon to go with that??? :evil: Greyscale looks great too. What kind of fabric are you using?..it looks so much like velvet. Wonderful job!

Stoy

SweetBabyJ
05-11-2004, 11:36 AM
lol Dawn- not an escape, so much as an idea for something I need to practice. If it'd been an eggscape, there'd've been a tropical island backdrop.

Yep- warms and cools, Fagan- hues will change according to what is nearby them affecting their "temperature". The cloth you used was warm, so the shadows on the eggs turned cool- whereas this cloth was a neutral, and very dark, but the light was pure sunshine through a window, so I got cools in some spots, and warms in others. Plus, I had to model them in light-light-light hues- so went for those lights with high chroma to "mimic" shading. It's about 9" x 12" on Wallis, palette at about a dozen Rembrandts, Schminckes, Unisons and one deep, dark kinda purpley NuPastel to "blend".

No underpainting, Sooz, me and brushes still don't get along well- maybe that'll come back someday, too.

lol Sue- it's such a great photo, though, with the stripes barely defining the shapes of the eggs and REALLY showing the folds in the cloth- might have to do it just for that. I figure two colours would do it- we'll see if I try again.

Thanks, Kat- it was a good idea at the time, now it's a finished piece and I'm wondering what the fuss was about in my head. That hard edge in the middle egg is probably due to the resizing of the pic- I have to resize by incrememnts, sharpening in-between, because my files are so big. It blends nicely "in real", as Dawn says.

lol Stoy- now I've a mental image of Humpty Dumpty complete with crown. That's YOUR fault. The cloth is just plain old cotton stuff- sheet-texture- but the smoothness of the eggs demanded a different texture, so I let them have their way in exchange for laying still.

Deborah Secor
05-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Doncha love doing eggs? It's the best way to prepare them. My hubby was telling friends that the other night. "She doesn't cook eggs--she paints them!" We all have our talents. Mine are not in the kitchen.

Interesting to note that the strongest color resides in the middle tones on the turned sides of your eggs--not that the cloth isn't colorful, but that's in the mid range too... Hmmmm.

Maybe we need an egg thread, like the dog and cat threads. Everyone's egg paintings... That way we can compare. Anyone else have anything to put in it? Why are the darned little things so hard, and so fascinating, and so...oval? Okay, time to go have another cup of coffee. I'm starting to skate away on the thin ice of a new day here...

Deborah

Maggie P
05-11-2004, 12:54 PM
ha...eggsactly how I expected them to look (all Dawn's fault for THAT comment).

You folks crack me up! Ohhh, sorry, just yolking around.

SweetBabyJ
05-11-2004, 01:02 PM
*groan* :D :rolleyes: :D

Oh Maggie- you're gonna pay for that one- I'm not sure how yet, but I'll find a way....

hahahahaha!

Dark_Shades
05-11-2004, 01:44 PM
lets scramble and get cooking with that idea........ eggie paintings :)

gotta yolk for ya..... sorry joke

...... two eggs boiling in a pan..... one says to the other, Phew! its really hot in here ...... In reply the other one turns and says.....

thats nothing Mate!!!..... wait till you get outside, they smash your head in :D :p

...... The End

Thats a Cracker !!!

meowmeow
05-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Not sure I shell say what I really think of these yokes....but the painting is very nice...wonderful lights and darks here. Looks like velvet to me! So you have soft and hard here too!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
05-11-2004, 01:47 PM
hee hee.........

now .... No Poaching Ideas :evil: :rolleyes:

prestonsega
05-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Julie...how disciplined you are to work on this study.....I once did the egg thing but as a twist, we painted an egg with black flat acrylic paint and placed it next to a white egg for rendering..... a real eye opening exercise!

At first when I openend the thread, I thought your painting was a ref photo...guess that tells you what I think about it, huh!! :cool:

SweetBabyJ
05-11-2004, 02:05 PM
"Oh I lobster, and I never flounder...."

Just adding in another pun for the halibut- I'd sing more, but I'm shellfish.

Y'all are auditioning for the backrow, aren't you? You know we bring the good stuff to class- Sue's brownies (hopefully, "made with real herbs!") and those little quiche things- not to mention the Twinkies and strawberry shortcake (hint-hint Preston- it's your turn to make shortcake- these eggs need to be used up, too- how convenient!).

There's still seats available back here- but you gotta watch sitting next to Libby- she pinches your kneadable when she thinks you aren't looking. Your eraser- sheeeeesh! Y'all have FILTHY minds!!

xalintart
05-11-2004, 09:10 PM
I sooo love this site. Just from the thread and the responses REALLY gets me thinking.... Wonderful.

Thanks much.

SweetBabyJ
05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
ut-oh... BJ's thinking. This may not be a good thing if puns are a specialty....

Mikki Petersen
05-12-2004, 01:05 AM
In the RIL are a number of good egg photos by Mustcreate that I keep looking at. Seems like such a simple subject...which means it's an incredible challenge, I'm sure. You seem to have met the challenge and conquered. this is a lovely painting.

I'm ignoring the punsters...never encourage them...

E-J
05-12-2004, 03:40 AM
Nice subtle eggs, J, and I like the soft fabric too. I agree about the puns. Get OVA them already ;)

bnoonan
05-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Julie - great piece of work here and a wonderful exercise in color and shapes. I'm afraid I'm unable to add any puns or jokes - but I can give you applause for a nicely done painting!!!

Barb :clap: :clap: :clap: