PDA

View Full Version : If you order from Dick Blick...

terriv
05-11-2004, 01:03 AM
add this brush facts poster for a penny.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz749/05/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=3444

Why not.

artistodon
05-11-2004, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the tip terri.
Don :)

Howard Metzenberg
05-17-2004, 05:10 AM
add this brush facts poster for a penny.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz749/05/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=3444

Why not.

Why thank you!

We obviously don't make money on this poster, unless it buys us some good will, but we love to see it posted at your local college, high school, or community art center.

I'm embarrassed to say, you might find our poster a little dated, if you are a real expert already, that is. Dick Blick developed this poster at least 10 years ago, which is before I became involved. (I got drafted to build the website back in 1997.) This is really a poster for art students, and it is very early 90s. I hope the kids in your high school have newer textbooks than that.

The newest high quality synthetic brushes are really superb, and they have become a real alternative to natural fibers. The poster doesn't quite say this. Companies like Da Vinci and Escoda (who make some of our top synthetics for us, so you can have them under the Blick name at very favorable prices) have been developing brushes that use synthetic fibers of varying sizes and shapes, all in the same brush. If I were revising the poster today, I would put less emphasis on natural fibers and more on synthetics.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

BeeCeeEss
05-17-2004, 12:40 PM
The newest high quality synthetic brushes are really superb, and they have become a real alternative to natural fibers. The poster doesn't quite say this. Companies like Da Vinci and Escoda (who make some of our top synthetics for us, so you can have them under the Blick name at very favorable prices) have been developing brushes that use synthetic fibers of varying sizes and shapes, all in the same brush. If I were revising the poster today, I would put less emphasis on natural fibers and more on synthetics.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

Hey, it's great to see you folks at Dick Blick are looking in on us here at Wet Canvas. I love ordering my supplies from Dick Blick and always get lightening fast service and great products. I totally agree with your comments on today's synthetic brushes. I prefer them over natural hair brushes for a host of reasons, and your own signature line of brushes at Blick's are top notch all the way.

I don't work for Dick Blick. I'm just a grateful customer.

Thanks!

Beverly

Eugene Veszely
05-17-2004, 12:53 PM

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

But are they environmentally friendly???

Rosebudlr
05-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Darn it anyway! I just placed my 5th order with Dick Blick friday and AGAIN I forgot about that chart. I have always meant to add it. Darn darn darn. Well, maybe next time. I really like Dick Blick acrylics and brushes.

terriv
05-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Hello. Welcome!

I'm a homeschooling parent and always looking for free educational posters and materials. I am teaching my children art. We got your new catalog this morning and over lunch had a long discussion about why purple costs so much more than some other color paints. Even the catalog can be educational. Next time I order, I'm going to pick up the poster.

Very nice to see a Blick rep posting on WC. Some companies such as Paypal, ebay, etc. have reps that post on topic related boards. It's very nice to have them there to answer questions on the spot.

You could become quite useful here at WC. :)

Howard Metzenberg
05-17-2004, 03:55 PM
But are they environmentally friendly???

All the sources of animal hair used in brushes are halfway around the world from me. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

The kolinsky and sable hair used in the finest watercolor brushes is a byproduct of the trapping of furs in Siberia, and of the raising of animals for fur and other products.

When you use a bristle brush, somebody shaved a pig carcus for you. Have you ever seen an environmentally friendly pig farm?

I am sure the hydrocarbon resources used to produce a synthetic brush that you would use in place of a kolinsky, sable, mongoose, squirrel, or badger hair brush have a tiny fraction of the environmental impact that trapping and animal husbandry have.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

Orann
05-18-2004, 12:29 AM
I wish I had seen that before I did my big order ... guess I will wait for the next one !
I have to say though ... I've ordered supplies in the past from several well known vendors, but Blick is my favorite place to shop !

Orann

Howard Metzenberg
05-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Hello. Welcome!

I'm a homeschooling parent and always looking for free educational posters and materials. I am teaching my children art. We got your new catalog this morning and over lunch had a long discussion about why purple costs so much more than some other color paints. Even the catalog can be educational. Next time I order, I'm going to pick up the poster.

Very nice to see a Blick rep posting on WC. Some companies such as Paypal, ebay, etc. have reps that post on topic related boards. It's very nice to have them there to answer questions on the spot.

You could become quite useful here at WC. :)

Thank you, Terri.

I've been around Wet Canvas for a while. This is supposedly my 100th post. Not a lot of posts for two years, but I am long-winded.

Why does purple cost so much? You can learn some incredible history and chemistry just by studying the changes in artist pigments over time. What a great way to integrate the teaching of art with history, science, and other subjects.

Until the 19th century, it was blue that was most expensive. The only sources were lapis, a semi-precious mineral, and a Mediterranean mollusk that was accessible only to divers. When a wealthy patron commissioned a portrait, he would supply the artist with lapis (ultramarine) pigment, so that the artist could use blue in the portrait. The color became known as royal blue, and its use in portraiture became a symbol of wealth and status.

If you get a chance, read the book Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier, and check out the movie by the same name, recently released on DVD. It is a fictional account of the creation a famous painting, by Vermeer. By coincidence, Dick Blick used a mosaic version of the same painting as a catalog cover in 2001, the year Tracy Chevalier's book was a best seller. It's one of my favorite covers.

I've never met Tracy Chevalier, but we are both graduates of Oberlin College, a few years apart. She had some of the same English teachers I had.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

Eugene Veszely
05-18-2004, 11:47 AM
All the sources of animal hair used in brushes are halfway around the world from me. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

The kolinsky and sable hair used in the finest watercolor brushes is a byproduct of the trapping of furs in Siberia, and of the raising of animals for fur and other products.

When you use a bristle brush, somebody shaved a pig carcus for you. Have you ever seen an environmentally friendly pig farm?

I am sure the hydrocarbon resources used to produce a synthetic brush that you would use in place of a kolinsky, sable, mongoose, squirrel, or badger hair brush have a tiny fraction of the environmental impact that trapping and animal husbandry have.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

If it is a byproduct of a pig farm then nothing is being added to what is already there...I am no way out environmentalist ...it was just a thought I had when I read about the synthetic brushes :)