PDA

View Full Version : Prints

Jolanta
05-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi,
I know most of my work is working the best as one of the kind original but I have a silly question. Can you make a Giclee prints from soft pastels work?
Some of my lately pieces could benefit - maybe? I don't think I like to mail them since I don't use any fixatives. I am such a crazy fanatic about it I frame them as soon as I can.
Jolanta

bodhigirl
05-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Yes! You can have them made. From what I understand, the giclee prints are made from slides, not the original art. You do have to have the original photographed, and a slide made from that. There is a source for it, I could find out the name of the place if you want..just PM me.

Jolanta
05-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Thank you Heather,
If this is the way it works it's great. I take photos of my art and slides before I frame them. It looks like I do it all. I only cannot do one thing - buy my art!
I was living in Germany years ago for over a year. Had to learn German really quick. As soon as I could talk and understand everything we decided to come to America and had to learn English. I loved it there. Germany is just beautiful. Now since I don't use German Ich hab forgessen deutche sprache.
Danke Schon.
Jolanta

CarlyHardy
05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Jolanta,
some of the companies that make giclees also do the slides for the artist. Check with your local printers for their services.

We also have a company that advertises here at WC who make slides from your digital or 35mm images. I'll check on that for you.
carly

CarlyHardy
05-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Jolanta,
check out Artist Print Shop, one of our Industry Partners.
Here's the url for info on who to contact.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/partners/info.php?id=44

carly

Jolanta
05-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi Carly,
Thanks a lot! I do take photos and slides of my work. Thank you so much for recommending Artistprintshop.com. I read some nice things about them. So all I need to do is get to know them better. By the way I just wander where do I sell my prints. I have my original work in places like Arts Council, Arts League, Restaurants, Framing places. Sorry for beeing so naive but I have a lot to learn. I know for sure any outside fairs are not for me. What is your opinion?
Jolanta

jackiesimmonds
05-11-2004, 04:27 AM
It is also possible to make giclee prints on a home computer ... I do this.

I use a particular Epson printer which uses lightfast inks. Then, you must use papers which are specially coated for art digital printing , and there are lots of companies producing these papers now, Hahnemuhle from Germany are one of the best,they produce papers in various weights and surfaces, but there are many others including Arches from Canson which are marvellous, also Lyson, St Cuthberts Mill Bockingford papers, and others . I am currently writing an article about how well these papers work, for The Artist magazine in the UK.

You can use scanned images, or, if you have a good digital camera, you can use a fairly high resolution digital file, I have done this, TIFF works well, and provided you do not produce prints which are too big, you will get good images, I print A4 size Giclees from professionally produced, high resolution prints, are the best though, I have had some made and can print up to A3 really well. Thehigh-res scans are quite expensive however.

As for selling them, the same places you sell through now, may well appreciate having some limited edition giclee prints of your work, you should ask them. And, before you invest a lot of money in prints or printers, do make sure you know where you are going to sell them. It is easy enough to produce prints, much the hardest part is finding a market for them. If you have a market first, you are THEN sensible to spend the money on makingthe prints.

Jackie

bodhigirl
05-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Dor! Ich denke dass, du Deutsche spreche sehr gut! You are right, Germany is VERY beautiful. Right now, I want to get to YOUR homeland and get myself some pottery!
Please, keep me posted on how the print thing works out for you. I've been looking into it myself, and I'd like to know what you decide.

Jolanta
05-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Hi Jackie,
It is soooo good to talk to you again. You have this rare ability to see "the whole picture". You helped me to realize it is simply too soon for me to go with prints. I need to establish my original sales first and when I get more seles and recognition I can offer prints. By then hopefully I will be able to afford it. I learn so much from you - wise lady. Thank you very much.
Jolanta

jackiesimmonds
05-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi Jackie,
It is soooo good to talk to you again. You have this rare ability to see "the whole picture". You helped me to realize it is simply too soon for me to go with prints. I need to establish my original sales first and when I get more seles and recognition I can offer prints. By then hopefully I will be able to afford it. I learn so much from you - wise lady. Thank you very much.
Jolanta

Glad to help. I can only speak from experience. Maybe others might think differently.
I think you are right to wait, tho.

Jackie