PDA

View Full Version : Feedback please

rickymanchester
05-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi there,

I've not been painting in Acrylics for very long, and after a short period of getting used to how the paints work (as opposed to watercolours) I have produced my first completed painting.

I would really appreciate any feedback on it, and also any recommendations for websites or books that people have found good tips on for beginners.

Many thanks

Richard

surreal
05-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi there,

I've not been painting in Acrylics for very long, and after a short period of getting used to how the paints work (as opposed to watercolours) I have produced my first completed painting.

I would really appreciate any feedback on it, and also any recommendations for websites or books that people have found good tips on for beginners.

Many thanks

Richard
Hi Richard,
Welcome to Wetcanvas and to the Acrylics forum!!!
:D
I like your painting very much!
I love its vibrant colors!!!

Do you want to scout around at older threads, where there are quite a few recommendations for books on painting with acrylic paints???
:)

Alison Jardine
05-10-2004, 07:33 PM
this is really great -- it made me smile with the very *catness* of it!

I guess the cat is lying on it's back, looking up at you...

I like the bold orange & green.

nice! thanks for posting this; it's quite different...

looking forward to see you develop your technique further.

ali

Godzoned
05-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi there,

any recommendations for websites or books that people have found good tips on for beginners.

The book I have covers in detail in a section on oil and acrylics called:
"Artschool how to paint and draw" by Hazel Harrison
Was cheap in the bookstore.
- has practial step by step and creative techniques. Covers acrylic, oil pastel painting, watercolours and drawing.
ISBN 1-84038-524-3

Really helpful for new ideas, techniques and styles etc.

artistodon
05-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Very nice painting. Great use of color and blending. I like it alot. More more more!
Don :)

ExpressiveAngie
05-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi ya and Welcome. Check this out.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90990
I love your painting, should be a quick seller. :)

rickymanchester
05-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback!! Always nice to receive. :)

As for it selling well... with it being my first I have decided to keep it, and hung it on my wall.

I have lots of ideas for what I want to paint but I am having trouble formulating these into workable paintings. I did not realise my writer's block would follow me into my foray into Acrylics.

Anyhow... have fun all.

Richard

Moosehead
05-11-2004, 10:48 AM
I like your choice of having her sort of on her (his?) back looking up, as if ready to bat at a dangling toy. Her eyes also give this effect. This cat is eying her tinfoil ball prey. Great job.

Spyderbabe
05-11-2004, 12:25 PM
This is very clever! What size is it?

Lady Carol
05-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Acrylics suit you very well.

rickymanchester
05-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Spyderbabe - the painting is only 8 by 8 inches. I started small, but I intend to go much bigger with my next painting... maybe a tryptich (spelling?).

Regards

prepsage
05-12-2004, 05:17 AM
Wow. That is pretty small. This would look so wonderful blown up to say...40x 40? lol. GREAT first attempt. Just the fact you were able to coordinate the colors so wells speaks highly. I personally love the style it's presented in (I know you just started painting in acrylics..what style?!) My only criticism would be that I see very similar brushstrokes...It's not enough to really form a discernable pattern, but as you get into larger paintings, you may want to change brushes so you will have a more varied stroke width (Of course that all depends on what effect you are trying to achieve).

chal
05-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Adorable! Put a big smile on my face. Congrats on your success in acrylic. How long have you been painting in watercolor?

Thanks for sharing!

Cara

rickymanchester
05-12-2004, 11:49 AM
I had been painting in Watercolour on and off all my life (more off than on though). The problem I often had is impatience whilst waiting for one part to dry before being able to work on/near it.

Acrylic for me seemed an ideal medium as it is so versatile. I'm probably not going to get a chance to do any painting for at least the next couple of weeks as I am moving soon, and my home is already upside-down.

I have ordered some of the books recommeded, and wating for them to arrive. I look forward to the opportunity to be able to paint in my new home which is in Nurnberg (a very insprirational place), and is a lovely spacious flat. I'll make one of the rooms into my studio...yay!