PDA

View Full Version : Kyoto Crossing

scotchpie
05-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi all again

Thought I'd do a series on road crossing and this is the first. Still some finishing off to do. This was taken outside Kyoto station in Japan and it just happened as I took the snap this women in white turnedto walk to the canera.

Acrylic on canvas 20x30 inches

ExpressiveAngie
05-10-2004, 05:55 PM
This is so wonderful... I love the spontaneity of this painting! :clap:
Please show update with finishing touches altho the only thing I see is hands need a little work but other than that I cannot imagine how you would make this better.

Bertoni
05-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Oh WOW! This is so good :clap: and reminiscent of my times in Japan!!!
Can't wait to see the finish!!! :)

PsychicWolf
05-10-2004, 08:56 PM
:eek: Wow. Just wow. I always screw up my porportions when I draw/paint people. Which, for some reason, I don't do so much with other things... wonder why...hmmm... Wel anyhow I think that people are probbably the hardest subject matter and you seem to have mastered them. Congrats!

Marty C
05-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Hi Scotchpie,
Wonderful work, the detail is superb, the work has the spontaneous, natural look of the everyday occurence, skilfully captured in paint. Well done.

artistodon
05-11-2004, 01:54 AM
Really wonderful. So much to see. I love it. I can't wait to follow the series.
Don :)

scotchpie
05-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Hi

Thanks for the support and comments. I've actually put it to one side for a while so I can come back to it in a week or so a bit more refreshed. I often do that, put things aside until later. I find if I start work on something it helps me see things anew.

I'm really interested in this idea of street crossings. It is something we all see everyday and so easy to get reference material. I photographed this same spot in Kyoto about 20 times one afternoon at different intervals over 15 minute period and the difference is interesting in each one. Some are sombre with everyone in dark blue suits, others bright and happy. Some are crowded others quite empty. With this one I liked the contrast with the women in white and the others. Fortunatley just as I pressed the shutter she turned to the camera. A total fluke shot.

Andrew

terriv
05-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Oh come on. That's your mother. You had her dress and stand there!
(Just teasing.)

It is something we all see everyday

Actually it isn't. That's what I love about WC. What seems common to you is far removed to me. In our rual area there are no sidewalks. There is one red light in my entire town and it flashes yellow. Everyone drives a car and if you see someone crossing the street it's only a single indiviual going to their mailbox on a lonely stretch of road. To me your painting is mysterious and interesting....like a deer standing in my foggy field might be to you.

Ursus17
05-15-2004, 10:36 AM
What a fun idea! I really like this painting. It makes me want to go to this street corner and people watch.

Very nice colors. The woman's coat is very realisitc.

Thanks for sharing this and I hope you do more!

odge
05-15-2004, 10:36 PM
I really like how the people are just going about their business, not smiling. This is usually how I see people in the street. I agree that her hands could use some work - especially her right hand.

Great stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

Jo