PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Advice needed please

Godzoned
05-10-2004, 12:40 AM
I am half way through my acrylic painting of a grape vine in autumn.

Do I paint the background with a wash of dark blue and make it more soild?

I am happy how the leaves are.

Some advice would help heaps - thanks

terriv
05-10-2004, 04:36 AM
I would. The leaves are good. I think the background detracts from their beauty.

Marty C
05-10-2004, 04:56 AM
Hi Godzoned,
When planning your work you must decide what your focal point is to be and then do all you can to make sure the viewer zooms in on that point. Usually 90 percent of a painting is peripheral to the focal point, that's just the way the eye works, it focuses on an object and all else is peripheral vision. So you must capture the eye by emphasising the focal point. One good way to do this is through contrast, something to really atract the eye. So you can have contrast in form, or colour or value, or a combination of any of these. Your background at the moment is too close in value to the focal point. You want your grapes to really pop, so you can make them light and the background dark. You can also emphasise colour differences (complementary colour works well here, red makes green pop, yellow works with blue etc). Big differences in value can also increase the drama of a work - the old masters often had very dark areas of their work contrasting to very light focal points.

surreal
05-10-2004, 08:57 AM
I am half way through my acrylic painting of a grape vine in autumn.

Do I paint the background with a wash of dark blue and make it more soild?

I am happy how the leaves are.

Some advice would help heaps - thanks
I think that the background painted in an extremely dark blue would be very effective, as it would provide more contrast and make the leaves "pop" out to the viewer of the painting.
:)

Nice work!
:)

dspinks
05-10-2004, 12:17 PM
If you wash the background in purple, you will have a nice secondary color scheme going of orange/green/purple.

Debra

Godzoned
05-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks Marty - good detailed advice. My focal point are the grapes. Just what I needed thank you.
:clap:

Hi Godzoned,
When planning your work you must decide what your focal point is to be and then do all you can to make sure the viewer zooms in on that point. Usually 90 percent of a painting is peripheral to the focal point, that's just the way the eye works, it focuses on an object and all else is peripheral vision. So you must capture the eye by emphasising the focal point. One good way to do this is through contrast, something to really atract the eye. So you can have contrast in form, or colour or value, or a combination of any of these. Your background at the moment is too close in value to the focal point. You want your grapes to really pop, so you can make them light and the background dark. You can also emphasise colour differences (complementary colour works well here, red makes green pop, yellow works with blue etc). Big differences in value can also increase the drama of a work - the old masters often had very dark areas of their work contrasting to very light focal points.

PsychicWolf
05-10-2004, 08:39 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone else on this thread: you're background needs to be darker. The leaves are great but you need to make them stand out. Just be careful not to make it clash with the stem or grapes. A dark purple would make a nice background but it has to be darker than the fruit on the vine. Keep that in mind.

It's looking great! Keep up the good work!

Godzoned
05-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Thankyou to all your help in this forum. The help has been very valuable.

The following link is the finished product...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188731