PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise Over the Lake

Donald_Smith
05-10-2004, 12:06 AM
My wife loves monochormatic paintings, and I took this picture sometime this past year. The first image is the photo. So, for Mother's Day I grabbed an 11x14 canvas, and my paints and litterally whipped it out in no time. Normally it takes me over 10 hours to finish a painting. I did this one in under 1 hour. I wish I hadn't felt rushed, I would have done a few things different. The large dark trees wouldn't be so large, there would be more sky like in the photo, and I wouldn't have painted the dark trees so thick. I would have let more of the back ground show through. The second image is the painting.

Mother's, have I hope you had a happy Mother's Day,
Don

surreal
05-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Hi Don,
I like your painting!
It is very atmospheric!!!

Very lovely background which invites one's imagination to take flight!
:)

I had a very happy Mother's day, thank you!
:D

artistodon
05-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Hi Don
I really like it too. Like your wife I am a big fan of monochromatics myself. I love your use of color and contrast.
Another Don :)

ExpressiveAngie
05-11-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks Don for the good Mother's Day wish.

Did your wife love the painting? It is lovely.

Donald_Smith
05-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi,

thanks for all the kodos! Yes, my wife likes the painting. She is an artist herself, and as such critiques all my paintings. She thinks I should add a rock or something to bust up the HUGH dark area in the foreground, or add some details to the trees. I could do that, put in some dark trunks and limbs. I donno, I kind of like it the way it is. The paint was still just a little wet when I added the mist, so it didn't blend like I was hoping it would.

thanks again,
Don