PDA

View Full Version : Question about comart vs golden fluids

pr1130
05-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Can someone tell me what it?s like to use comart colors compared to golden fluid acrylics.

Comart seems to be very popular among airbrushers and I would like to try them but they are not available locally. Just trying to figure on whether I should go through the trouble of getting them mail order or should I save my money? (not that I have any anyway. hehehe)

Thank you in advance for any information
Peter

hinddee29
05-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Hey Peter,

I don't know anything about comart. I have used the golden a little bit.
I have only used createx, but I do like the golden white way more than
createx.

Shane

ABStan
05-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Peter,

Depends what you want to paint. I have some comarts and as far as AB paint goes they are very good if you want to erase them as well. Personally, I wanted a paint that I could use for Everything from illustration to painting on canvas and even fabrics so I invested in a whole bunch of Golden fluids. I use the golden extender to thin them down so they spray equally as good as any AB paint. I feel fluids give you more scope to play with the nature of the paint. Use extender for a hard durable surface that masks well. Or use AB medium for fabrics and canvas etc. The fluids work great for fine washes with a brush on a gessoed surface when used with flow release. I have heard of some using the fluids for customising helmets and bike tanks etc. Because of the higher viscocity of the paint, there are more colours available as well. I still have some specific AB paints, like the schminke Aerocolor and Goldens. The schminke range is one of the best I have come across. Very heavily pigmented and very fine grained....a nice paint to use.

Just my 10 cents worth there....good luck. :) :)

Stan

pr1130
05-10-2004, 08:44 AM
thanks a lot guys, much apprciated!

Peter

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Peter,

I am using ComArt mostly because it is easily erased after it dries. ComArt black is very smooth also. The white seems a tad watery to me but I have some Badger white that is veeery strong. One drop of the Badger = about 5 drops of the ComArt. I mostly am painting on illustration board and then covering it with clear acrylic when finished. I like the Golden airbrush colors as well but they are not as erasable. I usually buy my paint from Dixie Art.

Tim

ADCook
05-10-2004, 10:50 PM
I've sprayed with both but keep coming back to Com-Art. They've been consistently reliable in color and spray. They have both transparent and opaque colors, which is a tremendous advantage (I think anyway), and a huge color selection.

If you're curious, you should buy a few of each and try both brands. I know that Com-Art has starter kits. If I'm not mistaken Golden does too. A small investment would let you try both and make a first-hand decision. It really doesn't matter what anyone else uses - it's what works best for you that matters.

A.D.

pr1130
05-12-2004, 12:46 PM
just wanted to say thanks again everyone for your replies.

Ive just started a painting usning the golden fluids and down the road a bit i'll give the comarts a try. They do sound interesting.

I only do this as a hobby right now and the wide variety of materials can get a bit expensive along the way. of course, I would love to do artwork for a living some day but the wife likes to eat! LOL

Peter

Penny220
05-14-2004, 07:39 AM
apples to oranges
I don't use Golden fluids, they "can" be used for airbrushing but they are not "airbrush" paints. Golden makes airbrush paints that are both opaque and transparent, they are much harder than the fluids and are pre-mixed like the com-art.

com-art to Golden airbrush, com-art is suitable for erasing, golden is harder. Golden is less subject to peeling when masking because they are harder, for the same reason if you use a flimsy board they may crack on down the road.