PDA

View Full Version : WIP - To Golgotha

Vasili
05-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Anothernew one in the works...this time a religious theme. Any ideas or help is always appreciated.

Thanks.

18 X 24
Acrylics
Canvas

terriv
05-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi. I am having trouble somewhat seeing your picture because of the dark colors yet I think I am making it out reasonably.

This is a subject on which I'd be harder on you than most. That's because I know this story already. :)

First, the cross is too short. Needs to be much taller. It has to be long enough (width of crossbar is fine) to hang the figure on and still have enough height to bury it deeply enough support it. Also recall that it was high enough that in order to reach Christ's mouth a sponge had to be lifted with a stick. That just jumps out at me.

Secondly, the columns to the left. They really add interest to the painting. Asthetically wonderful. Are they purely for interest? Or do they have a basis? (Just curious, either is fine.)

As to the Christ figure, I think He is good but needs some "realism" in the definition and shape of his body, in particular the hips. (Realizing that this is a WIP.) They seem at this point too shapely for a male buttocks, too whimsical for the tone of the painting.

I think that the darkness is very much a part of your message, and a very valid one. Yet how could you keep a sense of overbearing darkness and still "bring it to light"? What if the Christ figure actually "becomes the light" as a contrast? What if you really paint Him as a crisp light (yet well defined) with clever use of all the shadows in the landscape falling way from Him as if He were the source of the light? Not sure how that would work in a painting as I have never tried it but it certainly would make for good discussion.

It's going to be a striking panting I believe with some deep thought on your part. I look forward to seeing it finished.

terriv
05-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Looking again. All I can see in the foreground, at least in the photo, is blackness. What if you placed a stone there with the shadow faintly falling away from Christ (as mentioned above). I don't think the overall picture should be lightened, but you need some lightness and perhaps you could use that to bring something mystical to catch the eye and intrigue the mind.

I looked at your website. Your work is wonderful. The "light dark" in your lightning painting catches my eye. This no doubt will be stunning.

Vasili
05-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the in-depth comments, terriv.

The darkness might be a product of bad lighting when I took the photo. Thanks for your ideas. Especially, the one about the length of the cross. I'll work on that, next.

The columns are merely to create an asthetic interest. I have a long way to go on this one, it seems.

And thanks for stopping by my site!!

rafi
05-10-2004, 11:59 AM
A couple of points which you may discard if you feel I am out of order:
1. Golgotha was in Jerusalem which is about 50km from the sea.
2. Jesus as a Jew would have covered his head (a kind of Beduin scarf maybe).
3. I am not sure what the columns add and they seem to be out of scale and perspective.

I like the figure though although he does still need a bit of work on him as terriv has said.

Vasili
05-10-2004, 11:02 PM
A couple of points which you may discard if you feel I am out of order:
1. Golgotha was in Jerusalem which is about 50km from the sea.
2. Jesus as a Jew would have covered his head (a kind of Beduin scarf maybe).
3. I am not sure what the columns add and they seem to be out of scale and perspective.

I like the figure though although he does still need a bit of work on him as terriv has said.
I had a feeling someone would mention that. To be honest, I am doing this as a study in acrylics, because I plan to add Him to a larger, oil painting that I am working on. There is no Sea of Galilee, or anything of that nature, only some desert-like hills and a large section of a building, on the left.

As far as Jesus sans the head scarf, who's to say if the Romans, on that journey, even allowed him to wear a cover on his head. I'm not making any political or religious statement, I just merely wanted to highlight his hair with sunlight. Of course, there is no strong burst of sunlight in this study, but as you'll see, when I get around to photographing the oil and posting it, there will be a stronger sense of sunglight in it.

And yes the columns were mainly for an aestetic purpose.The entire piece is rather boring, at the moment, but it'll come along. (i hope)

Thanks, for your input.

Vasili
05-14-2004, 09:30 PM
It's still a WIP. It's coming along slowly...