PDA

View Full Version : What Positive Stories Have You Heard?

arlene
09-12-2001, 11:28 PM
My son's best friend is C... His dad Peter works downtown, across from the World Trade Center and every morning takes the subway to the World Trade Center stop underneath the buildings. He gets out at the station usually around 8:45 AM.

Yesterday morning as he was taking the subway downtown, he remembered that C needed a graphing calculator for math, so decided right then to get off at the next stop to go to Staples and pick up a calculator for his son...

He heard what happened when he left Staples, and headed north and out of Manhattan, to see his family. :)

what positive stories have you heard???

Christie
09-12-2001, 11:41 PM
I have two stories for you.

My friend worked at the WTC. She decided not to go into work that day. I finally heard from her this afternoon. She is quite shaken up though.

My friend's mother was comforting a friend who had been laid off from a job at the WTC the day before this horrible tragedy when the planes hit the towers. They were able to see the whole thing from the window where they sat.

BevL
09-13-2001, 12:29 AM
I think the most incredible positive story I have heard, I heard right here in our own live chat just a short while ago. I am still in awe over it.

I really hope Simon doesn't mind my telling you. (((((((Simon))))), what you did touched me very deeply, and I want to share it.

Simon was telling us how helpless he felt. That feeling of wanting so much to do something to help!

Then he said that he spotted an injured bird, and took it to the shelter to be cared for. If that isn't the most unselfish act of humanity and love for all things, then I don't know what is. Simon is in New York, reeling from the events of yesterday, yet he could put a tiny creature before his own needs. I am truly inspired, and deeply moved.

Simon also took the time to thank a policeman, (policeman or fireman- I can't remember which), who was covered in dust. Simon, I am sure that man needed your kind words right at that moment. He no doubt felt the same terror, numbness, and overwhelming grief that you are feeling. Your words I am sure gave him the strength and sense of purpose that he needed to go on.

(((((((Simon))))))), thankyou!!

Bev

bloomphoto
09-13-2001, 12:56 AM
I have 2 stories about people that were lucky enough not to be where they were supposed to be...

My sister works with a woman whose mother works at the WTC. She has multiple sclerosis and had a spinal tap on Monday. She didn't sleep well that night and so she called in sick Tuesday.

I work with a woman whose brother had scheduled a meeting Tuesday morning at 9:00AM the WTC. His wife had parked behind him so he was going to take her car into work. Her car wouldn't start and he was going to be late, so he cancelled the meeting and rescheduled it for the next day.

2 people that still have their lives because of random occurances. It wasn't their time.

Becky

MissMouse
09-13-2001, 11:25 AM
My girlfriend's son Adam is an art student in NYC he takes the train and subway each day to go to school. Romona had not herd from him and was deeply concerned. It turns out he was under the building in the subway. Managed to get out and walked stunned with another man with a broken leg to the river. There he found one of the private boats carrying people across the river. Adam returned home yesterday. Shaken, in shock but otherwise fine. My son Christopher's friend Paul's dad is a fire chief in the city yesterday he had to tell 100 women that their fellows did not make it - the good news is he did but harbors guilt. He was home yesterday to be with his family but is back at ground 0 today.

pixelscapes
09-13-2001, 12:49 PM
I have to admit I found this story almost funny in a way... if only because of the "Saved by a Donut" theme.

This guy was on his way to work, and he passed a Krispy Kreme donut shop. "Hmm," he thought to himself, "I really want a donut... but, no, I have to get to work."

So he continues onward to his office on the 91st floor of the World Trade Center. Gets himself some coffee, sits at his desk. But -- he's still obsessing over Krispy Kremes.

He finally gives up and goes back downstairs to get a donut. Krispy Kreme in hand, he's walking back towards the building, and then well... you know the rest of the story.

After I heard that story, I felt like going out and buying a donut. Just this last weekend, as a joke, I was telling a friend of mine who'd never had one before that Krispy Kreme donuts are proof that there is a God... that's probably why I find this story funnyish.

-=- Jen "Maybe it's just my desperate need for humor right now" de la Cruz

MissMouse
09-13-2001, 01:04 PM
Jen I agree with everything - but must add when I worked and went to school in Manhattan it was chock-full-of nuts cruller I craved.....

paintfool
09-13-2001, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by MissMouse
Jen I agree with everything - but must add when I worked and went to school in Manhattan it was chock-full-of nuts cruller I craved.....
Ms Mouse.... you've obviously never had a Krispy Kreme! ;) Thanks for the stories. I'm not sure if they are examples of devine intervention or sheer chance but either way they are uplifting at a time when we need to remember to smile occasionally. :)
Cheryl

ReNae
09-13-2001, 02:16 PM
Well here's mine...

My brother-in-law works for the Smithsonian down in VA. When all of this happened (reports that the mall in DC was on fire, car bombs being reported on the news) I kept trying to reach him by email and cell phone. For some reason he was trying to reach us via email, but I cannot receive his messages they are being blocked and I don't know why. So he calls me today to let me know he and his wife are safe, but he was to go to Seattle on Tuesday for a meeting.....they decided to reschedule it Monday to the end of the month. He would have either left Dulles airport or National.....I can only thank the spirits that be for him to change his mind and change the meeting.

~ReNae

ZOTMA
09-13-2001, 02:31 PM
....that they just found and pulled out 5 more fire fighters alive!
2 days later......

pixelscapes
09-13-2001, 05:58 PM
Actually, the news is now reporting that those firefighters weren't actually lost when the buildings fell -- they were apparently trapped during the rescue efforts and they've been missing all day (not since Tuesday). BUT, they were still found and rescued, and they're alive, and that's still important.

Anyway, here's another story. According to the NY Post, an officer of the Port Authority named "John" went upstairs in the south tower to help with the initial evacuation efforts... and when he was on the 80th floor, the building collapsed. BUT, he survived the fall! From that high!

-=- Jen

TeAnne
09-13-2001, 06:17 PM
I didn't hear this, I watched it on the TV through tears.
It was the gathering of New Yorkers, singing by candle light.
No sign of hate, revenge or anger. Just poor love, compassion and friendship. I was in awe of the peace as these beautiful people came together to comfort each other.
I salute you. ((((((((HUGZ))))))) to all and God Bless.

yogi
09-13-2001, 06:27 PM
According to the latest news, another survivor has been found today (09/13/01). From the video, he looks like another rescuer that has been buried in the rubble all this time. They are hearing tapping noises within the rubble, too....which means someone else is down there.

Some are alive and being rescued! Keep praying!

Story I know:

Former schoolmate was in the Pentagon, in the section that was hit. She jumped three and a half feet to the floor below. And, she stopped to help her boss (who uses a walker) down to safety as well.

Kandiman
09-17-2001, 07:16 PM
Hi All!
I wanted to share a great story most of you in the US probably haven't heard on the news because it's local.

Monday (Sept. 10th) was the Country Music Awards here in Calgary. When the airports were closed on Tuesday, all the country music artists were stranded here, so they decided to throw a benefit concert.

They pulled everything together in less than 24 hours, and Wednesday night they had a free concert including artists like Jan Arden, etc.

They took donations at the door, and raised over $60, 000! I believe they said it was going to the Red Cross (or another of the organizations helping with relief.)

This really made me smile, and I hope it does for you too.

bloomphoto
09-17-2001, 10:36 PM
Thanks Kandiman!!

It is nice to know we have friends surrounding us!!

Becky

lori
09-18-2001, 09:04 AM
i have one of those stories too.

my friend rob, who works in DC for a government agency had an appointment at the pentagon on tuesday. he was scheduled to meet in the exact part of the pentagon where the plane hit.

anyway, he heard about the attack at the WTC and immediately called his parents who were leaving for london from NY, where they live. he had much trouble contacting them, infact he was made 20 minutes late by trying to reach them. he also had told them not to worry about him...he would be at the pentagon! imagine...

well he was 500ft away from the building when hit. he was rushing to park his car! amazing...in a strange way the WTC tragedy saved his life...i know its a bizarre way to say that, but its true.

blessings to all victims.

Berrell
09-20-2001, 05:11 PM
Did you hear about the young boys who decided to sell lemonade to raise money? They inspired a yield of $13,000

I also have scads of photos from Union Square where people walk around in large crowds totally silent reading the sea of messages. Someone made a replica of the twin towers in that metal looking mesh-like material that lots of designer trash baskets as well as desk equipment (in/out baskets, etc.) are made of. One had a flag extending out of the top and they both were open at the top with notes from people building up inside. T

Everyone is talking to everyone. The waiter asked me today if my family was OK before he gave me the menu...I don't know him. I asked him where he was from...Bengla Desh.

A rescuer was walking up the street with a white bucket in his hand. He was being interviewed. He had several partially torn photos in the bottom of the bucket. He said he wanted to take them to the family center himself.

The first day of the candlelight vigils anyone in the neighborhoods had been encouraged by email to come out of their doors and join the vigil with a candle or to place one in their window. I stood on Broadway and saw single and pairs of individuals standing against the walls with their candle smiling back at the people who walked by.

More later

Kandiman
09-21-2001, 03:35 PM
Hi All!
I found a site that has a whole list of positive stories - make sure you have Kleenex handy!
Click here - Beliefnet (http://www.beliefnet.com/frameset.asp?pageLoc=/story/87/story_8751_1.html&boardID=24782)

impressionist2
09-21-2001, 05:44 PM
Our Son in law was at work three floors down from the first plane when it hit. He and his co-workers went immediately to the stairs and for the next 55 minutes just single filed their way down the stairs. He headed north when he got out onto the street and when he got three blocks away his building collapsed. Our family is very grateful to God. I also love the Krispy Kreme story. Renee

Gisela
09-28-2001, 03:55 PM
Here's a great story from today's NYTimes;

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/28/nyregion/28LADD.html

Gisela

maleficent
09-28-2001, 05:36 PM
some of you may have already heard this one, but my mom told it to me a few days after all this happened.

a teacher at a school somewhere in new york asked her class what they thought the rescue workers needed most. and a five/six year old spoke up and said "peanut butter and jelly sandwiches"! so the class made up peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and took them, along with cards and notes to the rescue workers at ground "hero".

.... i just thought it was such a moving story. it shows you how simple, yet profound children are.... :)

hope everyone is doing well and that you and your loved ones are safe.

Lulu
09-30-2001, 02:45 PM
This is probably happening in other countries too, but I just wanted to share with you that the people here have raised thousands of dollars to bring some of those directly affected by the tragedy to NZ for a holiday in our clean green and peaceful country. The first of them will arrive soon.

MissMouse
09-30-2001, 04:55 PM
John and I were in a restaurant last night and there was a young man at the table next to us. He was all smiles as he shared this story:

I was just standing there taking pictures and I was blown out of my shoes. As I sat on the ground bewildered I reached for my shoes and put them on. Than believe it or not I was very upset about my camera and was looking for it. The firemen were shouting and I was shouting I have to find my camera - Never did find it- someone just grabbed me and started yelling run ma as I looked up to see the building falling. Everyone in the restaurant started clapping for the fellow and wishing him well.

It was a great dinner.

Berrell
10-01-2001, 06:53 PM
Did you hear about the young boy who has set up a fund for the children who don't have any parents because of the WTC tragedy? So far he has $4,000.

bloomphoto
10-24-2001, 07:30 PM
While the hope of finding any human survivors has long since past, there is a great story my mom just told me about. Apparently while sifting throught the rubble, firefighters came across a cat with her three kittens. They were curled up in a napkin box appaently in what used to be the basement of a restaraunt. The mom and babies were rushed to the vet and although skinny and dehydrated, are all going to be fine. That made me smile...

Becky