PDA

View Full Version : Buff Ship

PETERH
05-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Sunday morning's relaxation!

Wanted to paint outdoors but the weather's so awful so I did this based on a photo from my favourite "heavy sea" site :)
http://tv-antenna.com/heavy-seas/5/

As always, critque welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2004/8730-Buff_ship_small.JPG

1065tomh
05-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi PeterH
Another great painting! I love your loose style and good combination of colours. You make it look so damned easy to paint in watercolours but...
Keep up the good work! :clap:

PETERH
05-10-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks Tom!

Painting is easy. Whether you're satisfied with the result, is a different matter! :D

There are very few paintings (if any) that I've been really satisfied with!
However, I'm almost always satisfied with the process of painting, and that's the main thing!

laudesan
05-10-2004, 12:52 AM
***Sigh*** :)

Marty C
05-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi Peter,
Very nice work again, good rough seas.
Interesting to read what you think of the painting process. I find it completely absorbing, totally lose track of time and I'm really only aware of how long I have been going by the various aches which develop after standing in one spot for too long. At the end of the process, if the work has gone well, I am satisfied with the painting for about five minutes during which time I decide that I can improve on the work and get all fired up on wanting to find the right subject for the next. I do tend to contemplate the finished work for some time however, to try and see what things to do better, to see what worked and what didn't. All part of the process of learning and growth, frustrating and satisfying at the same time.

PETERH
05-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi JJ!
Not sure whether to thank you! Perhaps I'll regret asking what the sigh was for! :(

Thanks Marty!
Like you, I get lost in painting. I don't even acknowledge people when they come and babble over my shoulder. I think eventually they depart with some sort of comment like "Ssh! He's concentrating" but in fact, I'm just in a different world and they're miles away. Sometimes I'll have a monosyllabic "conversation" with them and they think I understand what they say, but it's like in a dream!

The self-hypnotism, meditation, or whatever, is so powerful, I don't actually "see" what I've painted until it's finished - usually after 2 - 3 hrs - when, like you, certain parts of the anatomy start protesting! :D

I know this is completely "wrong". Art teachers say you should pause, view the work from a distance, make corrections as necessary - but for me, the process of painting seems to be a single "whole"! There's a start, and a finish, and something seems to happen in between.

Weird eh?

Anyone else feel this way?

shrinkinviolet
05-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Peter! Is your ocean ever calm?! :) Just kidding, this one is another keeper.
Judy

PETERH
05-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Yes Judy - my oceans are often calm - especially when I view from a distance!

It's ironic that painting can be so soothing, even when you're painting an angry sea! :D

shrinkinviolet
05-12-2004, 06:15 AM
I consider my passion for painting as a gift from God. It has been my companion and savior for more years than I will admit to.
It has made me much more accepting of my husbands passion, golf. I can share that with him but more important I can enrich my grandchildren's lives with art.
Judy

PETERH
05-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Sounds like you're a very understanding and sensitive person Judy.

I recemtly met someone who confessed they didn't like paintings, only photos, and they didn't understand poetry or read novels. How sad. :(